• Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Universal Music Canada to cut CD prices

Universal Music cuts prices on CD albums to win back downloading consumers

By CRAIG WONG

TORONTO (CP) - Universal Music Canada is cutting the wholesale and suggested list prices on CD albums in an effort to win back Internet downloaders who have complained about high retail prices.

"The consumer has spoken to us that music - in the research that we've done - has been fairly high-priced and, therefore, they've been feeling fairly guilt-free about procuring music for free," Randy Lennox, CEO of Universal Music Canada, said Wednesday. "Without this, the business would flat-line at best because the competitive nature of entertainment products is growing . . . We feel that this is an absolute necessity."

Universal, home to Canadian artists Shania Twain, Remy Shand and the Tragically Hip, will institute a $14.98 maximum suggested list price on virtually all of its top line CDs and a $9.99 price tag for developing new artists.

Lennox also said the music giant will also start offering music downloads in Canada in October from 99 cents a song and $9.99 per album.

"All of our research says even the guys that were taking it for free are saying, 'You know what? For 99 cents a song, I'm in. At least the record companies aren't gouging me here,' " Lennox said.

In the United States, Apple Computer's ITunes service offers Web downloads for 99 cents US a song and $9.99 US for most full albums.

The Canadian Record Industry Association says annual sales are down 20 per cent over the last three years. The industry has launched a cross-country anti-piracy campaign urging consumers not to share music files because it is illegal and damaging to the record industry.

In the United States, the recording industry has taken a harder line - filing lawsuits against individual users who share and download copyrighted files over the Internet.

Last year, Universal Music Canada removed a series of deductions the record label was entitled to take from royalties paid to artists for downloads.

The new contract puts downloaded songs in the same payment category as albums, giving artists a 25 per cent higher intake. It also removes a clause that would have permitted the label to charge artists packaging and tech-format fees amounting to about 45 per cent.

• George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I'm not a downloader, but I wold be buying a lot more cds if they were reasonably priced, that's for sure. :T

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Aeromos
      • Jun 2003

Well at least they're moving towards a better solution. Trying to take everyone to court is a losing battle. At least this is a step in the right direction. I think more people will be willing to pay more reasonable pricing. This will work great as long as they give people a way to preview the songs. Adjusting the way they do business is the only real solution that they could come out as a winner. They may not make as much but at least this may bring back more paying listeners. Hence keep their business running and still be profitable.

Aeromos
      Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
      My Collection
      Aeromos
      Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
      My Collection

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Hi y'all. We saw a blurb on the local news while we were on Orcas Island last week. Some sense is possibly coming to the recording industry?
        :banana: :banana: :banana:

Now, if we can just get the US sales to follow suite. . . .

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

The good news is that Universal's CD price cuts apply south of the border too (IOW, in the USA). The bad news is, Universal's competitors do not seem to be inclined to follow suit: Other labels react (click here for story)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Now if consumers just recognize this opportunity and give Universal a nice increase in market share. . . . :^x

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"