X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

New U2 album "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb"

New album coming out from U2--can't wait! Although "All you Can't Leave Behind" wasn't up to Joshua Tree standards, it was pretty good. I'm hoping this one is even better.

"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" comes out November 23rd. Reportedly, the original recording was stolen while the band was in France several months ago, so I wonder how much more recording they've had to redo. If nothing else, a new album will mean a tour, so hopefully I'll finally get a chance to see my favorite band in concert.

CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • ekkoville
    • Aug 2004

Chris, I have seen U2 in concert twice outdoors and it's an unbelievable show. Can't wait for the album, all I have heard is the IPOD commercial they're doing. Should be a great recording, I expect nothing less from Bono and the gang.

By the way, loved your flight suit in your picture. How many pounds do you lose with that thing on?

Erik

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

??? Uh... it's not the most flattering thing for a figure. I don't think I've ever lost weight just from wearing the flight suit, especially since when I'm wearing it I'm usually sitting down in the cockpit, just moving my arms.
      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

I've heard a cut or 2 from the album.... WOW

This is going to be a killer CD.

Hopefully they go on tour because like yourself, this is my favorite band.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Well, it's out. I listened to the entire album streamed on the net last night. If you want to hear it, go to http://www.u2.com .

Overall, I like it! It still doesn't rise to the levels of U2's era of Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum. But it's a nice progression of the band. I personally wish they would revisit the previous era I mentioned, but this takes the band forward with new stuff that's good. The best is the much-promoted "Vertigo" first track, but the others are nice too. I read one person describing U2's present sound as "etherial air guitar". The more I think of it, the more this seems to be correct.

I very much like the revisiting of U2's spirituality influence that has re-entered their music in the past several years. I think it adds a new level to the music and impact.
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

I like it so far but the audio quality isn't so hot. Keep in mind I personally prefer Achtung Baby over Joshua Tree so YMMV.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Keep in mind I personally prefer Achtung Baby over Joshua Tree
              That's ok Shane we all have our idiosyncrasies:P

Comment

• ekkoville
                • Aug 2004

I haven't heard the album yet, other than Vertigo, but a friend told me it was similar in sound to "Boy", did anyone else have a similar opinion? Would you agree Shane or Chris?

Erik

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Hmmm... I don't know about that comparison. I have heard one person compare it to "October" in the sense of the spirituality.

I bought the album in the Collector's Edition with the book and DVD, and have been playing it several times over in the car. This is definitely an album that grows on you. I like it! Still not their best ever, but it's good! One reviewer hit the nail on the head, I think, when he said that this is a solid album, but lacks the melodies found in earlier material like Joshua Tree, that left the song playing over and over in your head.

One song in particular you have to listen to several times is the last track, "Yahweh". There's some deep stuff in there. I was blown away by the phrase:

Take this city
                  A city that should be shining on a hill
                  Take this city
                  If it be your will

This seems to be a reference to Sept 11th, dealing with the grief and pain of that day, but submitting to God's sovereignty. Wow.
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• kudeta
                    • Sep 2004

I agree with Shane, The audio quality on my copy is awful. It sounds like they recorded the album through a set of speakers with a microphone. Ver Muddy and unclear, Very dissappointing. Would be interested to hear other peoples views on SQ.
                    Leigh

Comment

• Shane Martin
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Apr 2001

This seems to be a reference to Sept 11th, dealing with the grief and pain of that day, but submitting to God's sovereignty. Wow.
                      :T

Overall Track #4 is growing on me as one of my favorites. Overall not a bad album but not great either. I'm happy with the purchase but as I said I wish the SQ was better..

ekkoville,
                      It's been way too long for me to make a comparison to Boy. I need to relisten to Boy before I make any comparisons.

Comment

• ekkoville
                        • Aug 2004

I'm picking up a copy today finaly......can't wait. Need some time without the kids to get a good lissten in.

Erik

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"