X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

Bob Dylan's latest tour

With an average of 200 concert dates per year, Dylan pretty much hits all parts of the country each year. I try to catch him every time he plays in the Los Angeles area and even go to multiple concerts when possible. Every concert is a surprise and every tour always has an exceptional band.

This tour is no exception. No other stars on the billing this year, and no new songs. At least, I don't think any of them were new. The band this tour is all rock-a-billy, with a heavy emphasis on ROCK! Dylan never picked up a guitar in the concert I went to Weds., instead he stuck with the electric keyboard and harmonica. His stand up style of playing the keyboard had exceptional rock and roll energy.

The song list covered songs going all the way back to his earliest albums, "Spainish Boots of Spainish Leather", "The Times They Are a Changing", a version of "All Along the Watchtower" that started where Hendrix left off and took it to a whole new level, and also some of his more modern songs, "Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum", "High Water Everywhere", and many, many more.

As always, all the songs were re-worked to the point that they were barely recongnizable. One of the reasons that I like his live performances so much, he never is afraid of change. His voice is so far gone that I don't think his vocal cords are capable of making words anymore. Like a bagpipe, it croaks and screetches in such a way that is perfect for the music and beautiful in its own way. It has become more of a instrument than a voice.

For me the highlight was a hard rocking version of "Highway 61 Revisited". Completely redone version in tempo and style with some long rocking instrumental interludes.
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Bob,

I've had the opportunity to see Bob Dylan twice in the last few years. Despite the fact that the words are somewhat difficult to make out, both concerts were among my favorites. He's one of my top two or three all-time favorite artists and arguably the greatest song writer of his time. His releases in the 90's still were superb and he is a legend of vast influence. His band was also spectacular unto themselves. The first time I saw him, he played guitar and surprisingly well. The second time, it was all keyboards with the harmonica. I heard the reason he isn't playing guitar right now is that he has carpal tunnel, but I don't know if this is a rumor or true.

Glad you had the opportunity to see an amazing artist.
    Keith

Comment

• ArnoldLayne
      • Aug 2004

I still regret not going to his Madrid concert last summer. Catching up right now with the SACD releases of BoB and H61R that I just got hold of. Some really amazing songs there...

Cheers
      AL

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"