Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

I am really hating when a certain store carries a new album exclusively, or has exclusive content. I don't want to have to do a bunch of research just to figure out the best or ONLY place to buy something.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• btf1980
        • Aug 2007

Haven't posted in a while, well been too busy listening to vinyl. Here's the latest haul.

My only regret is that I never paid much attention to Ornette Coleman until recently, what was I thinking???

Vinyl....mostly 180 gram stuff

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001-1.webp
Views:	75
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	931569

Name:	DSC_0002.webp
Views:	69
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	931570

Name:	DSC_0003-1.webp
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	931571

Name:	DSC_0004-1.webp
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	931572

Name:	DSC_0005-1.webp
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	931573
        Last edited by theSven; 03 April 2023, 14:44 Monday. Reason: Update image location
        A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• Russ L
          • Jul 2006

Johnny Clegg and Savuka - "Shadow Man" [1988]

The 2nd release from the "White Zulu" and his compatriots.

Name:	41SXH5KCBHL._SS500_.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	931574
          Last edited by theSven; 03 April 2023, 14:45 Monday. Reason: Update image location
          Russ

Comment

• Russ L
            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by btf1980
            Haven't posted in a while, well been too busy listening to vinyl. Here's the latest haul.
            Great addition. You are busy.
            Russ

Comment

• wkhanna
              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

When btf1980 shows pics of his LP's, it always spurs images of an angelic woman frolicking on a bed overflowing with $100 bills, except the bed is a red leather couch and the $ is all the incredible music he has sprawled over them.
              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Russ L
                • Jul 2006

JOHN COUGAR MELLENCAMP - "SCARECROW" (1985)

Just got it in the mail yesterday. A sealed original press copy. OPs always sound the best

Image not available

__________________________________________________ ________________

But hold on... heres a Garth Brooks album from 2001 :E

Name:	41DE788Q1YL._SS400_.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	931575

Must be a tribute album by Garth to John Cougar :P
                Last edited by theSven; 03 April 2023, 14:45 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                Russ

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Ah, "Scarecrow" is a good one. Have owned it for many years. I think Jack and Diane is the best on it.
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

The Scarecrow album I have doesn't have Jack and Diane on it....hmmm

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Whoops, you're right, that's on "American Fool". Still good, though.

80's music frackin' rocks.
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Haha some of it I was just thinking there was a version that had it on there but couldn't find one lol. I have American Fool too and finally figured out that it was on that one.

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

I'm currently burning a 20 disc compilation of 80's music that our old friend Joey P gave me.

Love the 80's music. Always my first choice when I have to pick a particular genre to go to for the reliable standards.
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• kpodolski
                            • Jun 2006

I was over my brothers the other day and he gave me a box copy of Frank Zappa's "Joe's Grarage, Act I, II & III" in excellent condition that he got at a garage sale! I haven't heard this album in 25+ years...I'm lovin' it!!!

Image not available
                            Last edited by theSven; 28 May 2023, 07:31 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image link
                            The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton

Comment

• Russ L
                              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by kpodolski
                              I was over my brothers the other day and he gave me a box copy of Frank Zappa's "Joe's Grarage, Act I, II & III" in excellent condition that he got at a garage sale! I haven't heard this album in 25+ years...I'm lovin' it!!!
                              Love the Pro-Ject Turntable-they are good looking units. What type of turntable platform is that? Regards, Russ
                              Last edited by theSven; 28 May 2023, 07:31 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image link
                              Russ

Comment

• kpodolski
                                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Russ L
                                Love the Pro-Ject Turntable-they are good looking units. What type of turntable platform is that? Regards, Russ
                                Thanks Russ. The platform is a DIY special. The base is from the top of an old Sony XBR audio rack (SU-46XBR...I think?). Slapped on a coat of semi-gloss black, screwed on some Salamander spikes and wha-la, instant platform. I also made one for my Cary SLI-80.

Image not available

Comment

• wkhanna
                                  • Jan 2006

Dude! That is some serious equipment! V nice.

BTW, nice Beemer, too. I still have my ‘85 K100RS I bought during the same year.
                                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

Aha... another person that knows the difference between a Beemer and a Bimmer?
                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
                                      • Jan 2006

Yeah, I don't know where it came from, but the two-wheel versions are typically refered to as 'beemers', and the four-wheelers as 'bimmers'.
                                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• kpodolski
                                        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Chris D
                                        Aha... another person that knows the difference between a Beemer and a Bimmer?

Actually guys, it's not a BMW. It's a 1993 Yamaha GTS. 1000cc, fuel injection, Omega chasis, RADD suspension, (no front fork; it uses a steering head similar to a car), ABS brakes & catalytic convertor. Very ahead of it's time in the day.

Image not available
                                        Last edited by theSven; 28 May 2023, 07:32 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • May 2007

Pretty Bicycle! :righton:

I've been meaning to post this for a week. My Dad bought me this 3 LP "Wild Blue Angel", like 6 years ago, and I just gave a listen last week. The recording quality is first rate, one my best! And, while I'm no expert on Jimmy, I think the performance is great. Includes, a lot of his most popular work. It's fun to hear his commentary on his songs like "Machine Gun." Very NOT an exact quote, "this song is about all the fighting going on ... ya got your skin heads and ..... oh, yeah and there's that war ... the Vietnam War."

The full concert is available on DVD also.

Image not available

Image not available
                                          John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• wkhanna
                                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by kpodolski
                                            Actually guys, it's not a BMW. It's a 1993 Yamaha GTS. 1000cc, fuel injection, Omega chasis, RADD suspension, (no front fork; it uses a steering head similar to a car), ABS brakes & catalytic convertor. Very ahead of it's time in the day.

My bad!

Yes, I remember when they came out. Revolutionary for a mass produced moto.

IIRC, Bimoto is the only other manufacturer to ever put that type of front suspension on the street.
                                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                              • Jan 2006

This album has been getting a lot spin-time at my house this season.

Image not available
                                              Last edited by theSven; 03 April 2023, 14:48 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• kpodolski
                                                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                                This album has been getting a lot spin-time at my house this season.
                                                Excellent choice wkhanna! But is Christmas really complete without these two classic albums? I think not...

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Image not available
                                                Last edited by theSven; 28 May 2023, 07:32 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Jan 2006

Well it's technically not spinning yet as I'm in the middle of building my TT (parts are accumulating as we speak) but I bought my first LP today. I went into a local used shop (The Exchange) and they had quite a few 180gram audiophile vinyl pressings that were pretty decent priced. They had one that I knew would be one of my first LP purchases which is NIN - The Downward Spiral so I bought it.

Name:	P1010798.webp
Views:	63
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	931576

Name:	P1010799.webp
Views:	68
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	931577
                                                  Last edited by theSven; 03 April 2023, 14:50 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • May 2007

Doug, I may get that NIN if I can find the LP. I've never heard NIN, though. I probably listen to some clips online to see how I like first.

Are you going to post a build of your TT? That should be a really interesting build. I'd like to see that.
                                                    John unk:

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Jan 2006

Yeah I'm going to make a thread when I get started on it. Right now I'm kind of accumulating parts and what not and they are starting to get built up to the point where I'll have to start working on it lol.

Comment

• exojam
                                                        • Dec 2006

Running through these right now.

Stevie Nicks – Bella Donna
                                                        Hank Williams Jr – Greatest Hits
                                                        Van Halen – Women and Children First
                                                        Elton John – Don’t shoot me I am only the piano player

Comment

• DelRay
                                                          • Jun 2004

Santana Abraxis half speed master = :B

Name:	100_2510-1.webp
Views:	74
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	931578
                                                          Last edited by theSven; 03 April 2023, 14:51 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • May 2007

Hello All,

I just ordered Billie Joel, "Cold Spring Harbor"

Image not available

And Gentle Giant, "Free Hand"

Image not available

Both on LP of course that's why I'm posting in this thread ... just want to make a point of that!! OK!! :frypan:
                                                            Last edited by theSven; 03 April 2023, 14:52 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                                            John unk:

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                              • Jan 2006

Freddie Hubbard - Minor Mishap

RIP Freddie ;x(

This is one of my favorites of his.

Minor Mishap Freddie Hubbard

Name:	DSCF3358.webp
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	931579
                                                              Last edited by theSven; 03 April 2023, 14:55 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                                              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by DelRay
                                                                Santana Abraxis half speed master = :B
                                                                A 'Dessert Island' must, imho :T

I would be intrested in your opinion of your pressing and where you got it.
                                                                I have two LP's that are next on my list, this one & KOB.
                                                                Last edited by theSven; 03 April 2023, 14:59 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• exojam
                                                                  • Dec 2006

Bill,

Do you have or listen to any King Curtis?

James

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                    • Jan 2006

No, however thanks for bringing up Curtis Ousley.
                                                                    What a dynamo, and what a career!.

But mostly, what a tragic end to the life of some one so significant.

Would you recommend the Live At Fillmore West album as the first one to get?
                                                                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• exojam
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Dec 2006

Bill,

The only partial song I have heard of his was a lead in bumper on a talk radio show. It sounded great. He (or someone) was singing about putting ingredients’ into the song, adding the drums, adding the bass, etc. I could not figure out what song it was or what album it came from. So on a whim, I figured I would listen to some more of his stuff so I ordered “Old Gold” the other day and am waiting for it to arrive.

James

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                        • Jan 2006

Can't wait to hear your impressions on the LP.

BTW, wikki link is worth a quick glance:

_

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• exojam
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2006

Bill,

The wiki lead me to the song (Memphis Soul Stew). I also found a youtube video of it. Man that is sweat.

The only band that could make Booker T & The MG's sweat. "And now we need a pound of fat back drums..." King Curtis was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall ...

James
                                                                          Last edited by exojam; 16 March 2009, 18:21 Monday.

Comment

• exojam
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Dec 2006
                                                                            • 169

Well I had a chance to listen to half of the King Curtis “Old Gold” tonight and I enjoyed it. It is a stereo LP so it takes me some getting used to hearing specific instruments coming from either the left or right speaker. I should get a chance to listen to it some more this weekend at a higher volume since I my daughter was asleep when I put it on.

I really do not have anything to come it to except the Miles Davis “Kind of Blue” LP. While I enjoyed that album the King Curtis is more up tempo than the Miles. Not really how else to describe it but it is different.

As a little extra bonus when I went to clean the albums I just got today I found a Bo Diddley album so I cleaned that up and gave it a spin. I was snapping away on that one. It was funny because as soon and the songs were playing I started thinking of how much George Thorogood sounds like him

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                              • Jan 2006
                                                                              • 5673

Ramsey Lewis - 'Down to Earth'

I never seem to get enough of this one.
                                                                              I love the blues-tone and percussive energy.
                                                                              And it brings to mind that Spring is here, it's time to plan out this year's garden and get some dirt under my fingernails.

Name:	DSCF3375.webp
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	931580
                                                                              Last edited by theSven; 03 April 2023, 14:59 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Bob
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jul 2000
                                                                                • 802

Sometimes only dark will do.

I went to the final show of the Pink Floyd Experience a couple of weeks ago. Since then I have been going through some of my PF albums, and their offshoots.

Last night I went to Roger Waters and pulled out "Amused To Death"

Name:	L1000485.webp
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	931581

After that audio workout I went to something more mellow but, still on the dark side. If you like New Orleans style blues and you don't have this on LP or CD, get it!

Name:	L1000487.webp
Views:	124
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	931582
                                                                                Last edited by theSven; 03 April 2023, 15:01 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                                  • Jan 2006
                                                                                  • 5673

Bob,

You have some serious spinner there! Beautiful VPI! Is that a Lyra cart?
                                                                                  You are also scaring the bejeebeez out of me with that shelf above it. Being in CA, I would think the first time it started ‘rocking & rolling’ as it often does there, you would be concerned about the potential for an unthinkable consequence.

Thanks for the tip, I will look into the Mary Gauthier LP.
                                                                                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • May 2007
                                                                                    • 1877

Bob, I didn't know Amused to Death was available on LP. When/Where did you find that? Thanks.
                                                                                    John unk:

Comment

• Bob
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jul 2000
                                                                                      • 802

Wkhanna, thank you for the compliment. It is a Lyra cartridge, the Titan i. I like the Lyra sound and this is my third Lyra cartridge. Do look for the Mary Gauthier album. Each time one of my friends hears it they go out a get the LP and the CD.

Johnioudb, it has always been available on vinyl. Because of all the inverted phase stuff and other sound effets I had always taken it for granted that the CD would be better. In fact I bought my first vinyl copy just as a lark and then never opened it until about a year ago. Wow, was I surprised!!! The vinyl was far superior, more detail, even more musical.

I bought one copy in Japan, one on the internet, and my wife directed me to a yard sale where I bought a third copy. Two were still unopened, the one from the garage sale was in mint minus condition. Only side one of the first disc had been played.

I am thinking of putting one of mine on Ebay.

Should you find one, be sure it is a original Columbia Records issue. Not one of the ones from the Netherlands, Germany, or Brazil. My understanding is these are just bootleged copies cut from the CD. Only the original Columbia ones are from the master tapes.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • May 2007
                                                                                        • 1877

Thanks Bob. I guess I missed the boat on that one. All the original Columbia LPs are going for $400 - $740. :cry: I have the the Sony SBM version on CD and it's one of my best sounding CDs. Too bad Columbia doesn't offer that on LP anymore.
                                                                                        John unk:

Comment

• Bob
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jul 2000
                                                                                          • 802

Southern Rock

Two classic head banging Southern Rock Albums. These two go together like salt and pepper, you can't have the one without the other.

Name:	L1000494.webp
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	931583

Name:	L1000495.webp
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	931584
                                                                                          Last edited by theSven; 03 April 2023, 15:04 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• exojam
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Dec 2006
                                                                                            • 169

I just picked up the below albums. Once they are cleaned I will see how they sound.

Eric Clapton - Complete Clapton Vinyl Box Set
                                                                                            Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"