X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

The Kappas Sing again!

Today, I got a little caught up on cables, so I decided it was time to do something I'd been meaning to do for a month, and that's put together my tube based 2 channel system. I found that changing out my amp connections (going from solid state HPA-2 for home theater and solid state 2 channel) to the tubed Integrated amp, was just more hassle than I wanted to do in my main audio system. Sure, love those Sonus faber Grand Pianos ( :yesnod: ) with the tube based CR Developments Integrated Romulus, but like I say, just to much hassle.

So, this process started over Christmas break, when I finally gave away a spare bedroom suite that wasn't complete due to my last failed attempt at marriage, (don't ask). Getting that stuff gone,a bed,dresser, nightstand, began to free up some floor space. So, I moved a bush rack back there for a 36" Toshiba TV I have, which obviously, will put Playstation and Nintindo 64 on that, I don't need for Audio, obviously, but thought would make it a little TV/Audio retreat for me, when I need "my space" when daughter has friends over in great room, whatever. Moving that, freed up room for moving my revolving DVD stand, and my glass collection in the great room, and made room for a new aquarium in the kitchen. Lots of movin!

Anyway, so I moved my floor height Lovan stand back there, set it in front of the other rack, put my Sony S7000 CD/DVD transport on top of it, and my CR Developments Integrated on top of that. I've actually got 2 sets of speakers lined up, the Infinity Kappa 7.1s, and a pair of Infinity Composition Overture IIs. So, I can play with both I guess.

I hooked up a pair of Zeus Rain interconnects from the Sony to the tube integrated, and used a pair of speaker cables I had laying around until I can build me another set. (Sold my set I made for this system this week, lol) I think I will make me a set of bi-wire Cattails with WBT connectors for the system soon.

As to the sound? Well, it's got those beautiful resolute highs the Emit-R tweeters are famous for, amazing amount of bass from the 10" woofers, and the polydome midrange seem to do their job nicely as well.

So far, I put in Miles Davis Kind of Blue but will play around with some other selections soon.

But so far, I'd have to say my little retreat (even the mess that it is with lots of junk back there), is turning out pretty sweet so far! :T

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Ricky
    • Aug 2000

Lex,

That certainly sounds like a very nice retreat indeed! Tubes vs SS can yield big differences. What other tubed gear have you tried?

http://www.crdevelopments.com/romulus.htm

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Well, this is my foray into tubes with the Romulus. Unlike some people I know, I don't trade every other week, lol.

I bought the Romulus at a nice deal, so I decided to give it a go. I've not been disappointed at all.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
      Doug

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

So you're liking the tube stuff, eh Lex? How efficient are your Kappas? Many Infinity speakers are efficient, and should work well with tube gear, barring any wild impedance swings of course.

I'd love to have a tube audio rig at home, but that's not going to happen anytime soon. I'll just have to stick with my Cubicle Tubicle system, at least while I still have a cubicle.

Photos please!

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
        My HT Site

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Photos at top now, and check out the size of those Kappas compared to the Infinity Composition 2's! 8O

Sorry about the room slant I was in a pretty strained position with the camera trying to get everything in. Remember, this is a 12 X 13 room that's rather crowded in the back and sides currently.

Heck, not sure what I am gonna do, I am so out of storage, it's not funny. I just got to much stuff, lol.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
          Doug

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Nice retreat Lex :T

I came so close to getting a set of Kappas about 4 1/2 years ago. CC had a set that were at a great price. I really enjoyed the sound they produced. I was just worried that I would not have been able to get a matching center or even another set for rears. So I passed. They are an excellent sounding speaker.

Have fun in the new getaway! :LOL:

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• SiliGoose
              • Aug 2000

Very cool room, Lex. Good to know you held on to those big Kappas.
              You kind of give the forum name ("Audio Hideout") real meaning.

-Sili
              www.campmurphy.net

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"