X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bleeding ears
    • Nov 2004

Receiver connected to Integrated Amp ?

Hi all, having seen so many good but very cheap used Integrated Amps for sale I am contemplating using one to power my 2 Front speakers.

I currently am using a receiver so I assume I would connect the Integrated Amp to the preouts on the back of my receiver (2 Fronts).

Does anyone know if it is possible to do this or will it cause problems ?

I know it seems a bit silly but compared to straight 2 channel amps, these Integrated Amps are a fraction of the cost with great amplification inside.

Admittedly it may only be a short term upgrade until the funds for a serious 2 channel amp are available.

It seems a bit strange having 2 volume controls, 2 tone controls etc etc

Any info on this would be great, What do you guys out there reckon ?

Thanks Peter
  • Glen B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by bleeding ears
    Hi all, having seen so many good but very cheap used Integrated Amps for sale I am contemplating using one to power my 2 Front speakers.

I currently am using a receiver so I assume I would connect the Integrated Amp to the preouts on the back of my receiver (2 Fronts).

Does anyone know if it is possible to do this or will it cause problems ?

I know it seems a bit silly but compared to straight 2 channel amps, these Integrated Amps are a fraction of the cost with great amplification inside.

Admittedly it may only be a short term upgrade until the funds for a serious 2 channel amp are available.

It seems a bit strange having 2 volume controls, 2 tone controls etc etc

Any info on this would be great, What do you guys out there reckon ?

Thanks Peter
    Save your money for a decent amp. Since an integrated houses both a preamp and amp in a single chassis, just like with a receiver that houses those two sections plus a tuner, the manufacturer has to make compromises. That often comes in the form of power supplies and output stages that are not as potent as what you will find in a power amp. Yes you can safely connect an integrated or power amp to the preouts of a receiver.

Comment

• jimmyp58
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

If you had your wish, what would your budget be for a 'serious' 2-channel amp? What kind of speakers and associated equipment do you have?

There are some incredible 'pro' amps available that ARE some serious amps and sound fabulous in an HT or 2-channel audiophile setup. In times past many were just loud and offered little sonic beauty to be considered for use in a home setting but clearly times have changed and many an enthusiast are using them in a variety of home settings. Besides their sonic improvement, many can be had for a fraction of the cost of their traditional 'home' counterparts.

Jim
      jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• bleeding ears
        • Nov 2004

Jim, I am in Sydney Australia and to get into say a Rotel 2 channel amp with around 130 Watts per channel (RB 1070) I am looking at $899 Australian dollars RRP (recommended retail price). Obviously I could better that price by shopping around a bit.

For a 5 channel Rotel (RMB 1075) I am looking at RRP $1599 Australian dollars.

You have to wait a long time to find one of these for sale used in Australia, and even then you are paying close to the price of a new unit with waranty.

This is the attraction of a used Integrated Amp such as Rotel.
        They are everywhere second hand eg ebay, (everyone must have discovered multichannel) ,they are relatively cheap $200- $400 Aust and they offer usually respectable wattage per channel.

I would be using a Marantz SR7400 receiver or possibly a Yamaha RXV 1500 as a processor so extra power would be nice.

So is the addition of an integrated amp to a receiver a waste of time and money with no sonic benefits or is it worthwhile? Obviously it would not be as good as adding a straight 2 channel amp.

PS What sort of job do you think the Marantz and Yamaha receivers do as a straight processors with a multichannel amp.? Close to a Rotel RSP 1068?

Thanks Peter

Comment

• jimmyp58
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

I have seen a lot of guys use a Denon or Yamaha as their processor and blend in a nice multi-channel amp for the oomph with tremendous results.

I don't think an integrated amp is a bad way to go but I believe you'd do better with a nice multi-channel amp, like a Rotel 1075.

I think the Rotel 1068 might be a tad better sonically than the receivers you mentioned but that is pure hunch as I have never heard the 1068. I used to own the 1098 and it's sound is phenomenal. Many a 1068 owner raves about it's sonics so I'd have to believe it is a spot-on sounding unit. I haven't listened to a Yamaha receiver in quite some time but Marantz makes great receivers (well, great everything else too) and being that they are a part of D&M Holdings, the parent company of Denon, et.al., I am confident you'd get great results as others exclaim with their Denons and a solid multi-channel amp.

Jim
          jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• David G
            • Jan 2005

That's precisely what'm I'm doing Peter.
            I have the preouts of my Marantz SR18 A/V receiver connected to an input of my integrated amp (Marantz PM19) which drives the main speakers. The SR18 is left to drive surround, center, & sub. My CD player goes directly into the integrated amp .

Comment

• bleeding ears
              • Nov 2004

So how does it sound David?
              Any problems etc, and how do you set the seperate volume and tone dials etc.

How would you rate the receiver and integrated amp set up you have against so called true seperates?

Also I would like to know how good a job a Marantz SR7400 or Yamaha RXV 1500 might do as a processor. Anybody been there and done that with these units? Audioholics site reckons the RXV2400 would make a good processor but they dont mention the RXV1500 or Marantz 7400 or 7500.

thanks guys

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"