Clear All
  • nick.h
    • Jan 2006

Sony Projector VPL-VW100 VS Sony Bravia KDL46X2000

Which would you have:

VPLVW100

Optical Specs

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 native pixel resolution
    Panel type: 0.61" SXRD panels x 3 (each having 2,073,600 pixels)
    Pixel response time: 5ms
    Pixel size: 7 microns high with 0.35 micron separating each pixel
    Contrast ratio: 3,000:1 to 15,000:1
    Projection system: 3x SXRD panels with 1 lens
    Lens type: High Resolution All Range Crisp Focus (ARC-F)
    Lens zoom range: 1.8 x powered zoom
    Lens shift: 0.65 x Screen Height (Up or Down) 0.067 x Screen Width (L or R) from dead centre
    Screen coverage: 40" - 300" (widescreen viewable area measured diagonally)
    Lamp type: Xenon
    Lamp wattage: 400W Xenon Lamp (LMPH400)
    Expected Lamp Llife: 2500 Hrs
    Fan noise level: 22 dB due to silicon nipple insulating joints holding fan, optimized shape of fan blades & a non-contact fan shaft mechanism
    Signals Accepted

Video: DTV - 480i,480p,576i,575p,720p,1080i, 1080p (HDMI & DVI-D only), 15khz RGB/Component, Progressive component,Y/C, Composite
    Computer: Up to 1920 x 1080 @ fV 60Hz, fH: 19 to 72 kHz, fV: 48 to 92 Hz
    Colour systems supported: PAL,PAL-M, PAL-N, NTSC, NTSC4.43 & SECAM
    Connections

HDMI input: x 1
    DVI-D input: x 1
    15-pin D-sub input: x 1
    Component video input: x 1
    S-video input: x 1
    Composite video input: x 1
    Ethernet RJ-45 10/100 input: x 1
    RS232C D-sub 9 pin input: x 1
    12V minijack trigger input: x 1
    Throw Distances

(16:9) 40" : 1.2 - 2.1 m
    (16:9) 60" : 1.8 - 3.2 m
    (16:9) 80" : 2.5 - 4.2 m
    (16:9) 100": 3.1 - 5.3 m
    (16:9) 120": 3.7 - 6.4 m
    (16:9) 150": 4.7 - 8.0 m
    (16:9) 180": 5.6 - 9.6 m
    (16:9) 200": 6.2 - 10.7 m
    (16:9) 250": 7.8 - 13.4 m
    (16:9) 300" : 9.4 - 16.1 m
    General

Cabinet colour: White
    Power consumption: 610W (Max) 10W (Standby)
    Power requirements: AC 100 to 240V, 50/60 Hz
    Dimensions: 496(W) x 574(H) x 175(D) mm
    Weight: 19 Kgs (Approx)

or

KDL46X2000

Picture

Integrated High Definition Digital Tuner: Yes
    Native Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    BRAVIA Engine: EX
    Viewing Angle: 178
    Screen Format: Wide Zoom / Normal / Full / Zoom
    Picture Mode: Vivid / Standard / Custom
    Multi Picture: Yes
    Noise Reduction: Yes
    Brightness: 450cd/m2
    Contrast: 1500:1 (On-screen), 7000:1 (Dynamic)
    Response Time: 8ms
    Sound

Audio Output: Yes
    Sound Mode: Dynamic / Standard / Custom
    Surround Mode: Dolby Virtual / Simulated Stereo / Off
    BBE Digital: Yes
    Terminals

HDMI Input: x2
    Component In: x3
    S-Video in: x2
    Composite in: x3
    Headphone Out: x1
    HD15 / PC Audio Input: x1
    Other Features

Power Saving Mode: Yes
    Clock: Yes
    On / Sleep Timer: Yes
    Teletext: Yes
    Light Sensor: Yes
    Cinema Drive: Yes
    OSD Language: English
    Swivel: -
    General

Power Requirement: 221 - 240 V 50/60 Hz
    Power Consumption: 260W
    Dimensions with stand (WxHxD mm): 1262 × 795 × 322
    Dimensions without stand (WxHxD mm): 1262 × 734 × 121
    Weight with stand (Kg) : 41
    Weight without Stand (Kg): 36

If they where both the same price, and your HT room would support either.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

If you have the appropriate light control...projector all the way!
    Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

As Jason stated. Absolutely front projection.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Brandon B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2001

Projector. Relevant reasoning:

No one ever said "Your screen is too big". But they have said "You measure your TV in inches? That's cute."

Out of curiosity, why are you looking athte VPL-VW100 instead of the newer VPL-VW50 which is half the price and pretty comparable in performance?

BB

Comment

• Dean McManis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • May 2003

The Bravia displays are very impressive, but I'd also choose a front projector in a heartbeat if you have room light control. One of the biggest advantages of 1080p is being able to reveal all of the extra resolution with a really big screen.

But I'd also choose the VPL-VW50 over the VPL-VW100 because of the lower price of the new model, and especially the lower bulb replacement cost.

Comment

• draganm
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Dean McManis
            But I'd also choose the VPL-VW50 over the VPL-VW100 because of the lower price of the new model, and especially the lower bulb replacement cost.
            how could you choose either of those with the JVC RS1 about to hit the market?

street on this puppy is rumored to be around $4500. and it has 15K:1 native AR , no Auio Iris, and adjustable convergence Also, the bulb is $400. not $1K like the Rudy :T K,Lets face it, Rudy & Poyl are about to hit the dust bin of bulb projection history, quick style. :T

Comment

• Brandon B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2001

Street on the RS1 will be about $5K or higher for at least another 4-5 months, and the Pearl can be had for under $3500 now, and also has a cheaper lamp.

But yeah, even given all that I'd still (and likely soon will) get the JVC.

BB

Comment

• Dean McManis
                Moderator Emeritus
                • May 2003

I am partial to JVC projectors, having owned 4 D-ILA FPTVs so far (I still have 2 of them), but even though the RS-1 sounds great in contrast and such, it's still not likely to be priced below $5K for a while yet.
                Plus the 700 lumens rating is OK (with the great contrast and likely pre-calibrated 6500K color) but it's not great for us BIG, big screen lovers. 8O

I've actually been the most tempted lately with the Mitsubishi HC5000, as I've seen it available in a couple places for $2700! :E

Comment

• Brandon B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2001

I don't think you'll get any more useable lumens out of the Ruby, Pearl or the Mits though.

What's your cutoff for a "big" screen? I'll be using the RS1 with a 120" highpower. It will be a brightness bringdown after 5+ years with a PLV70, but I've spent time viewing HD2Ks and other units which are a bit dimmer than the RS1 and am pretty sure the numerous other superior characteristics wil make up for it.

BB

Comment

• draganm
                    • Jul 2005

I think to look at Lumens alone doesn't really tell the whole story. When you have a display that has 15K:1 CR it will still have a lot of impact because of dynamic range. When the scree goes "truly" dark your eyes Iris closes down . Then, when the light output on the screen goes to 700 lums you will be squinting and it will not appear dim I promise you.
                    Now if yuor like Dean and running a crazy 12 foot wide screen then you simply need to blend 2 projectors. I don't think it's possible to run that big of a screen and get what I consider accpetable dynamic range with a single PJ. A single bulb machine filling that much canvas would have the Iris full open and no black level IMO.
                    BTW, the group power buy on another forum netted the RS1 at $4500. If I wasn't a dyed in the wool CRT guy this would be the only second choice for me.

Comment

• Brandon B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jun 2001

That was the pre-order price. The pre-order list was closed some time ago, and the current price is somewhat north of that for a while to come. I wasn't ready to get in on it at that point, but I inquired.

Might be back down to that by this summer though, we'll see.

Okay, my screen's "only" 9 feet wide. So I'm stuck in the "medium" screen club until my setup is in a different room or house.

Great, now I have feelings of inadequacy to deal with again.

BB

Comment

• Dean McManis
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • May 2003

Actually the RS-1 does look very promising. One of my JVC D-ILA projectors (G15) was rated at 1500 lumens, but after I had it professionally calibrated, it measured "only" 787 lumens and it did a great job lighting up my 180" 0.85 gain, perforated, gray screen.

I am hoping for a 1500 lumens (D65 calibrated), LED powered, 1080p projector, with 20,000:1 contrast, for under $2500. And I'm personally guessing that I'll see such a device in a little more than a year from now, which is when I'll have the budget available to buy one.

The RS-1 is actually rated to support a 200" diagonal screen (no doubt in a pitch black room), but I'd have to see the resulting picture to see how well it supports that size screen.

Brandon, no need for inadequacy feelings. I'm sure that a 9' wide screen is HUGE in your HT room. Currently I'm only using up about 120" of my screen until I finish building my new house and HT that will give me the throw distance to fill up the whole screen size.

Comment

• Brandon B
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jun 2001

I was pretty much kidding, but it actually is too small for me. I sit at 10' right now and can't move close because of my speaker placement. My ideal setup would be sitting at about 13' with a 15' wide scope screen.

My benchmark for this is the first scene with the snow speeders in The Empire Strikes Back, where they're swooping over the mountains. In the theater all those years ago with a 50' wide screen and sitting close enough that it extended right out into the peripheral vision, I actually got a bit of vertigo as they swooped.

When I can re-create that at home, I'm done.

BB

Comment

• Dean McManis
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • May 2003

Yeah, it's not to everyone's taste, but I also like to fill my peripheral vision with screen image. Especially with action/adventure, and scenic movies.
                            My last HT had the 13' wide screen viewed from my "sweet spot: seats at 14' back, which was just about optimal for me especially with a HD source, or at least scaled DVDs.
                            My closest seating was about 9' away and the farthest row of seats was around 19' away.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                              • May 2004

thought you said you're not getting a theater room in the new place, Dean.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"