X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ut Pictura
    • Apr 2008

Adding pre-amp to Integrated amp

Hi members,
    It is most likely this question has been asked, but I cannot find reference to it, so perhaps all it will take is someone redirecting me ...

Anyway I have Rotel 03 series integrated amp and cd player (with B&W 603s).

I probably would have gotten the pre-amp power amp combination had I known even a little about hifi when i purchased them a few years ago.

So now, if I purchase a pre amp, say of the 6 series, the RB-06, will that be an enhancement? Is it equivalent to having the RC-06 and RB-06 in tandem? What happens to the pre-amp side of the integrated - is it over-written by RB or does it double up (excuse the ignorance)?

If it won't make a difference to the 603s I still would like to know if it would make a difference if I say upgraded to 7, 8 or CM series. Or is it better to sell the integrated and get the RB and RC together?

all the best to you all for now,

pictura
  • jalyra
    • Jan 2009

Hello Pictura,

I don't know about the RA-03, but the RA-06 claims to have an independent preamp and power sections. (So it would be almost the same sound quality as having the RC-06 RB-06 combo, except for the flexibility of having separates).

But you don't need a preamp to connect to the RA-03, instead you need a Power Amp such as the RB-06. What you would gain is more power and probably a little bit of a better sound quality and a couple more amps!! If you buy the RB-06 you can choose to connect the RB-06 to your speakers, and leave the speaker connections of the RA-03 unused, or you can try to bi-amp your speakers using all four amps to feed them, but I'm not sure that's something worth trying. What's the power output of the RA-03?

My experience with the RC-06 and the RB-06 & RMB-1075 is that the 1075 offers greater clarity and better sound quality. I even tryed byamping using the RB-06 and the 1075 and it was not worth it, if you have two amps and one of them is clearly better than the other (as in the 1075 being better than the 06) there is no point in using the lesser amp, you'll get better sound using only the better amp than trying to mix them.

On the other hand B&W speakers are known to be power hungry and they can benefit by having a bigger and better amp. My impressiĆ³n is that the RA-03 and even the RB-06 are too small for your speakers. I would recommend trying to get the RB-1070 instead of the RB-06 if you don't mind having different matching equipment. The 06 style looks pretty awesome.

Comment

• Ut Pictura
      • Apr 2008

Jalyra, thank you for your input. I will answer as best I can because I no longer have the manual for RA-03. As far as I know the specs of RA-03 and RA-06 are the same - i.e. 70 watts per channel (x2) but I do not know whether they claim to have independent preamp and power sections - can anyone else provide info here, perhaps?

So I understand you to be saying that if (and only if) the RA-03 and RB-06 are compatible (i.e. equivalent to RA-06) then that's fine and I can consider bi-amping them, but better, to get RB-1070 and connect only them directly to speakers. Is that right?

Just by the way, my RA-03s are pretty powerful - they seem to drive my speakers well.

Did anyone see this ad for B&W804s - thought I should let you all know - seems like an amazing deal to me ... could there be a catch?

have a nice weekend everyone ...!

Comment

• Opus007
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Ut Pictura
        Jalyra, thank you for your input. I will answer as best I can because I no longer have the manual for RA-03. As far as I know the specs of RA-03 and RA-06 are the same - i.e. 70 watts per channel (x2) but I do not know whether they claim to have independent preamp and power sections - can anyone else provide info here, perhaps?

So I understand you to be saying that if (and only if) the RA-03 and RB-06 are compatible (i.e. equivalent to RA-06) then that's fine and I can consider bi-amping them, but better, to get RB-1070 and connect only them directly to speakers. Is that right?

Just by the way, my RA-03s are pretty powerful - they seem to drive my speakers well.

Did anyone see this ad for B&W804s - thought I should let you all know - seems like an amazing deal to me ... could there be a catch?

have a nice weekend everyone ...!
        This ad has 1315 views and no buyers.Hmmmmm.There are 2 scenario's here.One he has no idea what he has or Two it is a scam.I notice there is no mention of local pickup.He has a phone number so give him a call.I myself would be skeptical though.

Comment

• jalyra
          • Jan 2009

I just checked and the RA-03 is indeed 70 W/ch just the same as the RB-06. And no, they don't have to be compatible in any way, you can connect any power amp to your RA-03. But adding the RB-06 is just going to give you an additional 70 W/ch so if you just use the RB-06 I think you'll be getting a very similar sound, it would be better to use the RB-06 & the amps in the RA-03 to biamp your speakers, but biamping not always gives a noticeable difference in sound. for example if you listen mainly at low volume levels, biamping won't help.

But if you want better sound quality, I definitively recommend getting the RB-1070. Since the new 15 series is here you can probably get one at a very good price.

Comment

• Ut Pictura
            • Apr 2008

Jalyra,

Now I am fully in the picture, thank you ever so much. I listened to wkhanna on this forum in getting that really fantastic Magnum Dynalab Analog Tuner (MD-90), and this time round I have a feeling that in the not so distant future I will listen to your advice and get the 1070 - it does not make sense to buy another amp for slightly more than parity, esp if my intention at some point will be to move up from the 6 series. Good man.

Can I finally ask you, can one place the RB-1070 directly below the RA-03 (so that the latter's legs stand on it) or does it have open vents like the RA-03 at the top, requiring it to be freestanding? (space on my brand new hi fi rack is a consideration, with a wife roaming around keeping a watchful eye on my gadgetry)!

Cheers

Comment

• Ut Pictura
              • Apr 2008

Hi, I just saw a pic of the RB-1070 from slightly above - so there is no need for anyone to answer that question - they should obviously stand alone, thanks.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"