X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

Cable Repair

Hi there. I have Tara Labs Vector 1 speaker cables and I need new spade and banana connectors. Tara Labs no longer sells these connectors. They screw into the end of the cable so I am having no luck searching for "threaded" spades. Any ideas? Maybe I'm calling it the wrong word or something. Thank you.
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments
  • HedgeHog
    • Dec 2008

Can you not just snip the ends and replace them with a screw-on type? Like a WBT or something.
    Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
    Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
    B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
    Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
    Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• BWLover
      • Jan 2009

No. The ends are not ment to be cut off. Check out the picture

Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
      Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
      Playstation 3
      Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• HedgeHog
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by BWLover
        No. The ends are not ment to be cut off. Check out the picture

http://www.needledoctor.com/Tara-Lab...able-image.jpg

I figured that they are not meant to be removed but I was suggesting that you do remove them and swap in aftermarket ones (if you can't source TLabs screw-on ends). Not sure who carries Tara Labs in BC but you can prolly call them and see. They do sell a Termination Kit for the RSC Prime: http://taralabs.com/rsc_prime.pdf Maybe the Cable Company can help (www.cableco.com).

Good luck.

-H
        Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
        Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• BWLover
          • Jan 2009

Thanks for the reply. But for some reason Tara Labs has stopped selling termination packs for the older cables. I have vector 1's. I think I'm going to call them to make sure I am getting the right information. Because that does not make sense to me. Also, I have no problem using other termination. I just don't know what it is called for the screw in type. All I can find is crimp on or the kind that you screw bare wire into (wbt maybe?). Anyway, what should I google?
          Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
          Playstation 3
          Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• HedgeHog
            • Dec 2008

WBT is a brand (in case you weren't sure) so I was suggesting cutting off the ends to reveal bare wire then putting one of these on: http://www.wbtusa.com/pages/bananas_spades.html

But you can Google "Tara Labs BSM" for your application. I think it stands for Banana/Spade Module.

The Cable Company used to sell them:

You may have to contact them to see if they have some old stock.

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

connectors sometimes become unavailable over time, as designs change, and models change. I have been victim of that in my cable company as well. CATCables.com

A possibility would be to find out what size screw it is, get some longer ones, that you could in turn "crimp" the ends onto some new spades for example, or screw into a new connector of some type, then you'd combine old with new. What I am describing is "post-engineering" or engineering after the fact, take what you are given, and design something new to work. It can sometimes be done. I personally would not touch it though. Not my thing.
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Glen B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by BWLover
                No. The ends are not meant to be cut off. Check out the picture
                Of course the ends can be cut off an reterminated. WBT spades are an excellent choice. You can cut off the original cable ends, strip the insulation off the ends, and install WBT copper crimp sleeves. Once the crimp sleeves are on, you can install the WBT spades and tighten up the set screws.

Best installation of the crimp sleeves requires the WBT crimp tool, which is spendy at $140, especially for a one-time use. However, if you purchase WBT parts from VH Audio, owner Chris VenHaus will let you "borrow" a crimp tool, then return it. Actually, for his protection, to ensure tools are returned, Chris requires that you leave a deposit if $140, the value of the tool. When you return it, he will refund your $140.00. I have made many purchases from VH Audio over the years. He is a very reliable retailer.

There is an alternative crimp to the WBT tool, the Philmore #63-601, available for $9.99 from parts vendor Handmade Electronics. However, they are out of stock right now. I own both the WBT and Philmore tools, and the latter does the crimping job on the WBT sleeves 95% as well as the WBT tool at a fraction of the cost.

WBT at VH Audio

Crimp sleeves

Handmade Electronics
                Last edited by wkhanna; 01 November 2012, 18:41 Thursday. Reason: fixed link

Comment

• wkhanna
                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Glen,

I tried fixing your first link earlier, (I see you added two more) hope it is correct.

I did not intend to step on toes, just wanted to see everyone get pointed in right direction.

Your experience & advice are greatly appreciated.
                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"