X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phrog
    • Oct 2003

RMB-1095 over-heating randomly... Help!

I own an Rotel RMB1095 amplifier that I purchased new on 9/14/2003.

On several occasions, approximately 6, the amplifier has gone into "protect" mode and all 5 LED's light up on the front panel. This usually occurs when the amplifier is powered on, but idle. When I notice this, I turn off the amplifier immediately. Then when I turn it back on, it seems to work fine. I am afraid that on a few instances the amp was in protect mode for several hours until I noticed and turned it off.

The amplifier is very well ventilated in a StudioTech Ultra cabinet. The front door panel is vented, as well as the side panel. The back of the cabinet is open.

The amplifier is powering the following speakers:

Front L&R Mains:
    Phase Technology PC 9.1
    Impedance 4 ohms

Center Speaker:
    Phase Technology PC-3.1 II
    Impedance 6 ohms

Rear L&R Speakers:
    Phase Technology PC Surrounds DST
    Impedance 8 ohms

Interconnect Cables
    Brown Electronic Labs – BEL P1 The Wire
    Straight Wire Rhapsody II

Speaker Cables
    Straight Wire – Octave – bi-wired with spade termination - Mains
    Tara Labs – RSC Prime 500 – bi-wired with spade termination - Surrounds
    Tara Labs – Vampire 14-4CI – spade termination - Center

I never abuse the equipment and do not push the amplifier by any means. I use the RSP-1066 for processing and when listening to music have the volume level around 35. For movies and television around 50. I am now afraid to leave the amplifier on when I am not in the room because of these random occurrences.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? If so, what was the cause and the steps to correct. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Matt
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

Have you physically checked you're speaker cables? 8 times out of 10 the protection circuit will engage because of loss of resistance rather than a thermal issue. If not the cabling one of you're crossover components or drivers may be close to shorting in a speaker causing the relay to engage.

Comment

• i_amadeo
      • May 2005

check this my first post .....any way i had similar problems with my 1095 ....in the end i finaly figured it out .....what youl need is an automatic voltage regulater .....your amp takes alot of juice and if you are not plugging it to a dedicated power outlet ...youl need this voltage regulater once you have done that all will be fine...trust me nothing is wrong with your amp.....

its called a voltage regulater
      or line conditioner....very very important
      nothing to do with over heating....
      you can find it in any home center.shop....radio shack....

or you can if you have the money go to your av dealer and get a monster line conditoner...good luck
      come into the light

Comment

• Phrog
        • Oct 2003

thanks for the advice...

i have the amp plugged directly into a Pass & Seymour hospital grade outlet.

will try a few things and let you guys know.

thanks again!

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"