• Show
Clear All
  • Adz
    • Jan 2004

Re: Oh my!

title: Tara Labs Raided - Over 42,000 Cables Seized

written by: Jerry Del Colliano
    date: September 13, 2004

Police raided the offices and warehouse of Ashland, Oregon-based high-end audio cable company Tara Labs last week, according to news sources. The raid is reportedly due to the company falsely claiming to make their cables in the United States when they were outsourcing the manufacturing overseas.

Mathew Bond, the founder of Tara Labs, denies knowing of the infraction and claims, "These mistakes were rectified and won’t happen here again." That might not be good enough for Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), which has been tracking the alleged violations since 2000.

The raids come just days before the CEDIA trade show that highlights the best in audio/video targeting the custom installer market. Tara Labs was not in attendance at the show.

Other high-end cable manufacturers spoke out about the scandal, suggesting that there may be more cable companies that do worse than repackage cable from China. This scandal and any potential conviction could do great harm to the high-end cable business. AV industry icons like Noel Lee, founder of Monster Cable, and Karen Sumner, president of Transparent cable, along with others, have spent millions marketing and teaching the importance of cables for mid-to-high-level AV systems. Critics say cables make no difference in an AV system, but they are wrong. Hopefully, the Tara Labs scandal will not taint the consumers’ view on the need for high-performance cables in home theater systems.

Source: Mail Tribune
    Adz
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

We have problems with undocumented aliens in Texas all the time, but this is the first time I recall seeing an article about undocumented wires. :

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Wow, that's a lot of wire seized. For the record, CAT is made in USA, but with parts assembled from all over the world. I state that on my site.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Assembled quite well, if I may add Doug

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Heheheeee... this is pretty funny. I especially like the part that "critics say... but they are wrong". Quite a departure from a factual news report to a sudden opinionated claim with no supporting material. (whether you believe that's statement's correct or not)
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Adz
            • Jan 2004

Yep, the story is right on the home page of WidescreenReview.com - in yesterday's stories.

Forgot to mention my source.
            Adz

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"