X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sunnybono
    • Jan 2005

Marantaz SR 4400 AVR

I am looking to setup a new entratianment center for Movies and Music. And I need everyones opinion if Marantz SR4400 is good AVR or suggest any good model in this price range (<= $350).
    What would be the best matching floorstanding speakers for this AVR.
    Appreciate your suggestions
  • brendon
    • Aug 2004

Hi,I am currently also looking at the marantz 4500 0r 5500 receivers and of the AV receivers at this price point I think these will be the best choice especially if you listen to lots of music and they seem to have the best actual power outputs in class for 5 or 7 channels driven.I have seen a lot of very positive user and professional reviews.The new _500 series models seem to have more video up conversion and switching compared to _400 models and pricing on some has even dropped.
    As to speakers I have just purchased B&W 602s3 (stand mount speaker) and B&W LCR60 for the fronts which I currently dont have an amp for(got them at a hi-Fi store demolition sale for an okay price and hence put cart before horse).
    I would be interested to hear what you think if you do purchase one as due to having spent my HT budget on a couch and lowline entertainment unit and now the speakers the actual amp is now a few more months away
    Brendon

Comment

• sunnybono
      • Jan 2005

Thanks for your valuble inputs Brandon. Do we need an extra amp for this kind of setup? My understanding was that an AVR like Marantz _5 series which has >80WPC output will be more than enough.

Comment

• brendon
        • Aug 2004

Yes this I'm told this would be plenty of amp for mere mortals with efficeint speakers and small rooms and if you later find your self underamped you can still use these units as a very effective preamp if you want to add on of the very reasonably priced Rotel power amps or similar (adding the Rotel preamp later if funds allow).
        I am currently hoping to pick up SR5500 ($1400rrp AUD) or if I can find a runout one the Sr7400 with a more power, features a learning remote for about $200Aussie more but this will have to wait a while.
        Brendon

Comment

• sunnybono
          • Jan 2005

I was reading a review on Wharfedales. These speakers have excellent reviews and i am looking fwd to go for auditioning them. Does anyone know if this will suite Marantz AVRs.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Sunny those should be fine speakers if you like their sound. Speakers choices a personal preferences and what I think sounds good might not be your cup of tea...still there's some general guidelines i.e. avoid BOSE and don't buy speakers from a company that makes electronics (Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood etc).

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"