X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maseline_98
    • Apr 2005

AVR as Pre-Amp?

I was reading a review of the AVR-630(which I just have laying around my house) and I came across this:

"Another highlight: the AVR 630's bass-management (BM) settings--especially critical for small sat/big sub systems--are available for use with every multichannel format and source, including Dolby, DTS, and SACD/DVD-A. You can set a separate crossover point for each set of speakers: one for the front left and right speakers, a different setting for the center, and another for the surrounds. The AVR 630 is the first receiver we've tested with this level of versatility. Just be aware that to accomplish bass management for SACD/DVD-A, the AVR 630 reconverts the player's analog output back to digital, where the BM takes place. Alternatively, you can turn off the AVR 630's BM for SACD/DVD-A and send full-range signals to all of your speakers. We'd recommend listening both ways to see which sounds better in your system. "

I was wondering if this would hurt performance of my panny BD-55k for lossless audio with the extra conversion? Also, If I were to do this, should I set all the factory settings back within the bass management of bd player?

Currently, I'm running my marantz as a pre-amp, but it does not give me the ability for bass management via analog inputs(though, it still sounds amazing!!! )

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
    Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

• Sep 2004

I have that feature with my MCH analogue inputs which I use for SACD/DVD-A and it has no audible effect that I can identify (and I spent a great deal of effort trying to find one). However, if your player has internal bass management that you find satisfactory, you may not benefit from the change.

My receiver, FWIW, is an Integra DTR 6.4. My speakers are Boston Acoustics VR-M series and my audio player is a Marantz DV6400. If you have the two receivers on hand, it can't hurt to try each one.

Comment

• maseline_98
      • Apr 2005

I think I will give it a whirl. My panny doesn't allow to set the crossovers either than "large" or "small". Should I set everything to "large" within the player before setting the crossover within the receiver?

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
      Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by maseline_98
        I think I will give it a whirl. My panny doesn't allow to set the crossovers either than "large" or "small". Should I set everything to "large" within the player before setting the crossover within the receiver?
        Yes. Also make sure that any delay settings (feet or meters) are all the same in the player (it doesn't matter at what distance as long as they are identical).

Comment

• maseline_98
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Ovation
          Yes. Also make sure that any delay settings (feet or meters) are all the same in the player (it doesn't matter at what distance as long as they are identical).
          Okay...Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably just put all the settings to "0"(either than setting them to "large").

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

My receiver applies the distance delays and the bass management to the MCH inputs, which is why I set all the distances in the player to an identical setting (which they were at on the default anyway) and I set all the speakers to LARGE and sub ON. However, my receiver does NOT apply the level settings that are otherwise applicable to any other DSP, so I have to set the levels in the player for that (a bit unfortunate, as my player's level settings only work down from 0). Not all receivers treat the MCH analogue inputs the same way, even when they re-digitize the signal. Some receivers apply distance, bass management and levels. Some apply bass management only. Some apply 2 out of three (like mine). You'll want to confirm exactly what yours does and deal with it accordingly. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"