• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raymate
    • Jan 2006

Which one DENON or MARANTZ

Hi,

Moving to Canada latter this year, currently in the UK and I have a:

Denon: AVC-A1SE (in gold) from what I can tell this is the AVR-5803A in Canada)

Now I can't take my amp with me, too heavy and the voltage is a problem. The AVR-5803A is no longer on sale from what I can see.

So I need to get an amp that sounds as good as I have right now.

Is the Denon AVR-4806 going to be as good as my current amp? or is this a down grade

And how does the Marantz SR9600 do up against the Denons?

Any ideas?

Ray
    Denon AVC-A1SE / Mission / REL / Lots of Russ Andrews Stuff / Van Den Hul / Audioquest / Chord / Kimber / Marantz CD7300 / Pioneer DVL-919E / Sony JA333ES / iPod nano / iPod colour 4G / D-777 / D-250 / D-88 / Various MD Players
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Hello Ray,

Here is are some specs and reviews, the best thing to do is to listen for yourself.

Denon 4806

Marantz SR9600

Denon 4806 specs:

Dolby Headphone processing
    Low-impedance amp design
    24-bit digital-to-analog converters
    7.1-channel preamp output
    Dolby Pro Logic IIx

Marantz SR9600 specs:

140 Watts x 7 Channels
    THX Ultra 2 Certified
    Dual 32-Bit DSP
    HDMI Switching
    Dual AM/FM tuners

Based on these specs it seems that the Marantz edges out the Denon, but again let your ears be the judge, afterall it's your money.

Hopefully this will get you started,

Azeke
    Last edited by Azeke; 26 January 2006, 19:36 Thursday.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
      • May 2004

based on most reviews, I think Marantz are slightly higher regarded than Denon, even though Denon makes really good DVD players for the price.

Comment

• locomk
        • Dec 2005

If you want as good or better than what you have now, get the avr5805 from denon. great sound for a integrated receiver. lots of power and great video switching.

Comment

• Kobus
          • Aug 2005

Go Pioneer, better value. In my country anyway.

They are not bad at driving some serious louds.

Comment

• Snap
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2005

Denon / Marantz hmmmmmmm

I have to have a Chevy......while my brother has to have a GMC........
            See my point? Either one is good to go. They are the same company.

For those that do not believe me....call the repair number and listen to the back ground music/comercial lady talking.

Either one is going to be a good buy. It is just a matter of personal pref, and cost.
            The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• locomk
              • Dec 2005

snap is right. Denon and Marantz Merged about 3 years ago and created a company named D&M Holdings ltd. the goal of the merger was for the two brands to share technology but still be markted as differnt brands. D&M is a very Large Company, whose brands now include : Denon, boston, McIntosh, Marantz, RIO, replaytv, snell and escient.

getting back to the point, one of the things i always liked about marantz was the copper covered terminals and the look of the connections on the back, but i still prefer the denon.

Comment

• gonzalc3
                • Jan 2006

Denon and Marantz are owned by D&M holdings, nevertheless, their products are different.

I recently bought the Marantz SR9600 and it is simply amazing. I auditioned the Denon
                3805 and simply to my ears the Marantz was warmer and had more detail than the
                Denon.
                The two cirrus logic processors that the Marantz provide one of the best detail sounds that I ever heard.
                The Denon is a very solid unit, but it is more on the neutral/brighter side than the Marantz.

Whatever you choose, it will be a good choice.

Cheers,
                Chris

My DVD Collection

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                  • May 2004

Yes, they are merged, but doesn't mean they are the same. You wouldn't call McIntosh the same as Denon/Marantz, would you?

Comment

• mattburk
                    • Feb 2003

Marantz will have better two channel audio, denon will have more features.
                    www.mycstone.com
                    www.coverednow.com
                    www.biarenton.com

Comment

• georgev
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by gonzalc3
                      Denon and Marantz are owned by D&M holdings, nevertheless, their products are different.

I recently bought the Marantz SR9600 and it is simply amazing. I auditioned the Denon
                      3805 and simply to my ears the Marantz was warmer and had more detail than the
                      Denon.
                      The two cirrus logic processors that the Marantz provide one of the best detail sounds that I ever heard.
                      The Denon is a very solid unit, but it is more on the neutral/brighter side than the Marantz.

Whatever you choose, it will be a good choice.

Cheers,
                      Not a fair comparison as the SR9600 is the current flagship in the Marantz range while the 3805 is the old mid entry model in the Denon range. A fairer comparison would be against the 5805, and there in terms of versatility, the Denon would win hands down.
                      Soundwise they are both excellent. As most have said, audition them both and make your call. You can't go wrong with either one.
                      Mind you, the A1SE is the 5800(. It is the A1SR that is the 5803.), and it is no slouch. You could always hook it up to a step down transformer.
                      Enjoy.

Comment

• audioarchitect
                        • Jan 2006

I would take any Marantz over any Denon any day of the week. Denon is downgrading their sound quality in favor of stupid convenience features. There is zero musical texture at all with Denon. Just dry and uninvolving. Their DVDs are pretty darn good for the money though.

Comment

• gonzalc3
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by georgev
                          Not a fair comparison as the SR9600 is the current flagship in the Marantz range while the 3805 is the old mid entry model in the Denon range. A fairer comparison would be against the 5805, and there in terms of versatility, the Denon would win hands down.
                          Soundwise they are both excellent. As most have said, audition them both and make your call. You can't go wrong with either one.
                          Mind you, the A1SE is the 5800(. It is the A1SR that is the 5803.), and it is no slouch. You could always hook it up to a step down transformer.
                          Enjoy.
                          Actually I made a mistake in my post. I did buy the Marantz SR9600, but
                          I auditioned the SR8500 since the store didn't had the 9600 on display.
                          And the 3805 and the 8500 are more comparable.
                          As I said, the Marantz had warmer sound than the Denon. In terms of features you are right, the Denon has more.
                          In terms of versatility I have my doubts. If you read the reviews at eccoustics.com about the 5805 you should be surprise at what they mentioned there.
                          In my opinion I choose a receiver for how it sounds and not on the
                          amount of features.
                          Chris

My DVD Collection

Comment

• georgev
                            • Jul 2004

Once more, still an unfair comparison as the SR8500 may be more comparable to the 4805/4806 from Denon.
                            Compare the SR 7200 to the 3805 they are more in the same league.
                            Be careful of what you read in reviews. They are after all subjective.
                            Check out the review of the 5805 and the 9600 in audioholics.com you may very well be surprised.
                            I would venture to say that one would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the SR9600 and the 5805 on a blind comparison.
                            Just my .02cents.
                            George.

Comment

• gonzalc3
                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by georgev
                              Once more, still an unfair comparison as the SR8500 may be more comparable to the 4805/4806 from Denon.
                              Compare the SR 7200 to the 3805 they are more in the same league.
                              Be careful of what you read in reviews. They are after all subjective.
                              Check out the review of the 5805 and the 9600 in audioholics.com you may very well be surprised.
                              I would venture to say that one would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the SR9600 and the 5805 on a blind comparison.
                              Just my .02cents.
                              George.
                              Still in terms of sound (not in features) there isn't a big difference between the 4805 and the 3805.
                              I take reviews with a grain of salt. Though I did read the review of the 5805 there and in other websites. For the 9600 there hasn't been a professional review yet, you can only find news about its release.
                              Differences in terms of sound, will depend on your ear. For me, I can
                              distinguish the differences as I have been in this hobby for a long time.
                              Sound is very subjective and depends a lot on your own taste. The
                              Marantz is on the warmer side, while the Denon is more to the neutral side.
                              Which one is best? It really depends on you.

But back to the original question on how the 9600 is relative to the Denon's.
                              I can say that the Marantz is a very solid unit. Now which one to get?
                              Just try to audition both untis and evaluate them..
                              Chris

My DVD Collection

Comment

• Ryko
                                • Jan 2006

At the end of the day, all that matters is what your ears tell your mouth to do. The one that makes you smile is the one you should go with.

Denon and Marantz both make great gear. I use a Marantz SR6200 for HT. And it has never let me down. Great unit.

Comment

• Raymate
                                  • Jan 2006

Thanks for all the replys . will try to listen to them soon but I feeling Marantz is heading ahead for me now.

What ever one I end up with I will be getting new speakers and have settled on B&Ws - LCR600 S3 / DM603 S3 / DM601 S3

I did look into a step up convertor made by "PS Audio" it comes in at $3995 so I may just save for a new amp.

I do find my A1SE is awsome in pure direct mode, but I think the Marantz will be as good.

Cheers

R
                                  Denon AVC-A1SE / Mission / REL / Lots of Russ Andrews Stuff / Van Den Hul / Audioquest / Chord / Kimber / Marantz CD7300 / Pioneer DVL-919E / Sony JA333ES / iPod nano / iPod colour 4G / D-777 / D-250 / D-88 / Various MD Players

Comment

• Shane Martin
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Apr 2001

Raymate,
                                    The biggest difference between the 2 will likely end up being the Audyssey EQxt in the Denon. The Marantz EQ is no where near as good at tweaking your room than the Audyssey.

Comment

Working...
                                    😀
                                    😂
                                    🥰
                                    😘
                                    🤢
                                    😎
                                    😞
                                    😡
                                    👍
                                    👎
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"