X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wildfire99
    • Aug 2005

Upgrade! Table Saw Suggestions

Here I go again. It looks like I need to upgrade my Bosch 5000 table saw because it's broken. So it's table saw upgrade time.

I don't have a dedicated shop space so setting up a giant Unisaw rig isn't going to happen. I don't really want another lightweight contractor saw though, maybe something in between on rollers. I also don't have dedicated power so no 240v three-phase things.

The two contenders on my list are the always-popular Ridgid TS3650, and the Delta 36-980. Both are around $600 after tax on the Ridgid, which is about the most I feel like spending unless the saw will clean the shop floor too.

Are there any other models I should be considering?
    - Patrick
    "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"
  • dawaro
    • Feb 2005

I have the Ridgid saw and absolutely love it. I bought it when they first came out and got a lifetime warranty with it. I built a 2' x 4' hinged outfeed table on it that folds out of the way when it is time to put the saw up. When I get home I will post some pictures if you would like to see it.

The built in lift system for the Ridgid is also very nice.
    I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• CraigJ
      • Feb 2006

If you can find one of these in stock and avoid shipping charges; https://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...seBVCookie=Yes

Comment

• PoorboyMike
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by dawaro
        I have the Ridgid saw and absolutely love it. I bought it when they first came out and got a lifetime warranty with it. I built a 2' x 4' hinged outfeed table on it that folds out of the way when it is time to put the saw up. When I get home I will post some pictures if you would like to see it.

I have also have the Ridgid and I think it's a great saw. Super easy to move around yet heavy and solid enough to not move at all when cutting full sheets of ply or mdf. A router table also fits neatly on the right side between the rails. If you apply for a HD credit card, you get 10% off your 1st purchase. And with fathers day just around the corner, there could be some good sales on tools.

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

The best thing about the Ridgid IMHO is the fence. Which really is the thing that makes or breaks a saw. I have a folding Ridgid TS and it works great.

C
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I have a big Delta (UniSaw), were I in the market for a contractor type saw I'd get the Ridgid.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ahaik
              • Feb 2007

Originally Posted by cjd
              The best thing about the Ridgid IMHO is the fence. Which really is the thing that makes or breaks a saw. I have a folding Ridgid TS and it works great.
              I agree with Chris fence is critical.

Originally Posted by dawaro

I would love to see some pictures of outfeed table.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2001

I have the Rigid model that came out a few years before the current model. Of course, I spent $800 on mine so the price now is really great. The only reason I'd consider one of the deltas if I were in the market for a true cabinet saw with good dust collection.

Comment

• aprilia88
                  • Oct 2006

I have a delta saw.
                  I think it has a better fence than the rigid.
                  which is also upgradable to an even better fence.
                  I don't believe that the rigid will accept any aftermarket fence systems.

Comment

• Outfitter
                    • Apr 2006

I picked up the Ridgid 3650 about a month ago, and absolutely love it! My previous saw was a direct drive, so I was amazed how quiet it was compared to the direct drive. I really like the fence, especially after I waxed the rails, it slides like butter! Three things I like about it, the dust shroud around the blade, the 36" rip, and the price- I paid $450 with the 10% mover discount!

Comment

• Ray Collins
                      • Mar 2006

What kind of wax did you use?

Ray
                      Wine is constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.
                      BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Comment

• Outfitter
                        • Apr 2006

I used Johnson's Paste Wax. I looked everywhere for it, Woodcraft, 2 different local woodworking specialty stores, 2 or 3 Home Depot's, asked for help- nobody working knew anything about it. Went back to HD, looked in the cleaning supply aisle, and boom- there it was. I was in Lowe's last week, out of curiosity and there it was, in the cleaning aisle!

Comment

• JoshK
                          • Mar 2005

I have the Rigid also and I can't say I love the fence, mine has too much play. I think I'll try the wax and try to tighten it somehow. Maybe that'll work.

Comment

• dawaro
                            • Feb 2005

Outfeed Table

Here is the original article that my table was built from:

Image not available

My original outfeed was built to the plan but naturally stock is never good enough so I made a few modifications to mine. First of all mine is 1-1/2" thick and is covered in formica on both sides. Second the single leg was in no way enough for me so I added legs with adjustable feet on both corners. The final adjustment I made was simply to make it larger. The section that folds down is 24" deep and 48" wide. I found that the larger table also does well as an assembly table.

FYI in next months issue of Wood magazine they are building a simple assembly/outfeed table with a lift mechanism so you can tuck a table saw under it when not in use.

If I get a chance I will snap some pictures of mine this weekend.
                            Last edited by theSven; 15 July 2023, 11:53 Saturday. Reason: Remove broken image link
                            I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• tyler
                              • Feb 2007

For what it is worth I own a Powermatic. The fence and accuracy is one of the best there is. Powermatic is probably out of your price range. However, you could look at Jet table saws. They are made by the same company. I am not sure if they make a 120v version though....

Comment

• mikec
                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by tyler
                                ..Jet table saws. They are made by the same company. I am not sure if they make a 120v version though....
                                My JWTS-10 came prewired for 120v but it can easily be switched to 230v. I believe this applies to all their models.

Comment

• augerpro
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2006

I think woodcraft is having a sale on the cheaper Jet saw right now.
                                  ~Brandon 8O
                                  Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                                  Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                                  DriverVault
                                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• Mazeroth
                                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by CraigJ
                                    If you can find one of these in stock and avoid shipping charges; https://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...seBVCookie=Yes
                                    I called 7 Sears stores around me and my parents (3 hours away) and none of them had this saw in stock Most of them had it in their system for $509 and one store had it for $399. Did you or anyone you know get one of these?

Comment

• tyler
                                      • Feb 2007

An example of Powermatics accuracy right out of the crate before any adjustments. Just my 2 cents....

Last edited by theSven; 27 May 2023, 11:06 Saturday. Reason: Update htguide urls

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                        • Aug 2000

Though I have something very different than Tyler, I would second his recommendation of looking at Jet, especially their small cabinet saw similar to the DeWalt DW746X.

I completely agree that fence accuracy should be a major selection point.
                                        the AudioWorx
                                        Natalie P
                                        M8ta
                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                        Modula MT XE
                                        Modula Xtreme
                                        Isiris
                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                        Minerva Monitor
                                        Calliope
                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                        Obi-Wan
                                        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                        Modula PWB
                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JKoravos
                                          • Jan 2007

I bought the Ridgid TS3650 for my shop at work. Overall I like the saw. I think it's probably the best saw at the price point, but I also think if you go $100-$200 higher you can get something quite a bit better.

I, too, am not crazy about the fence. I'm still considering the TS3650 for my home shop, but it would be nice to get a saw that comes with a Biesmeyer or is upgradeable to one.

Comment

• wildfire99
                                            • Aug 2005

I went to Home Depot to look at the TS3650, they didn't have one on display but they did have a Wal-Mart-like 'we're lowering prices' tag for the model that put it at $499.

I'd love a Jet but it seems like the days when you could get them discounted are long over. I keep waiting for Costco to carry one again. Powermatic is just breathtakingly expensive, though Amazon has their low-end 10" one for $809 right now via specials.

I'm just waiting right now to see Home Depot's specials for Father's Day. It seems like the Ridgid is the no-brainer for this lower-tier range. I had a Ridgid chop saw that was quite nice for the price but did develop some minor problems later (slop, sticking on switch). Meh. I'd rather save money, I'm not a pro and I don't use it enough to get a Unisaw. It'll be nice if the thing just doesn't tip over like the lightweight Bosch wanted to.
                                            - Patrick
                                            "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                                              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by JKoravos

I, too, am not crazy about the fence. I'm still considering the TS3650 for my home shop, but it would be nice to get a saw that comes with a Biesmeyer or is upgradeable to one.
                                              I don't understand what people don't like about the Ridgid fence. If anything, it's more accurate than a Biesmeyer, since it locks at both ends. According to Wood magazine, Biesmeyer fences can flex as much as 1/64-1/32" at the far end when cutting large sheets. I realize that doesn't amount to much, but the Ridgid fence does not flex at all. :T

Comment

• ---k---
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Nov 2005

Rigid are now coming with Lifetime warranties. Mine did (the fold up version like C's).

I would comment more, but I'm don't have enough experience with my saw yet to know a good fence from a bad fence.
                                                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Brian Walter
                                                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by PoorboyMike
                                                  I don't understand what people don't like about the Ridgid fence. If anything, it's more accurate than a Biesmeyer, since it locks at both ends. According to Wood magazine, Biesmeyer fences can flex as much as 1/64-1/32" at the far end when cutting large sheets. I realize that doesn't amount to much, but the Ridgid fence does not flex at all. :T
                                                  I can't comment on what specifically people don't like about the Rigid fence, but one potential problem with fences that lock on both ends is that they can put themselves out of alignment when you lock them. I don't think this is a problem if properly set up, but having never had one, I don't know.

I own a Grizzly cabinet saw, which I love and my two brothers have the rigid saws, one has the older version, and the other the newer version. The newer one isn't as rugged underneath as the older one, but from what I can see, I'd say they are both very good saws. In the price range you are looking at, I'd recommend the Ridgid. I would have considered the Ridgid, but I find the contractor style saw with the motor hanging off the back takes up too much space. My cabinet saw takes up less floor space than the Rigid.

Brian Walter

Comment

• dragonrage
                                                    • Feb 2007

Mind if I jump in and ask for a $200-$300 recommendation? Amazon's got a Jet for $200, for which I'd probably make my own table...

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"