X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brendan_L
    • Sep 2006

Favorite $500 table saw

I have been reading the forum for a year, eagerly awaiting the time when I left my small apartment, and gained a workshop.

I am lacking a table saw and want to get something in the $500+ range.

Things that come to mind are Rigid, Delta, Hitachi and Grizzly.

I'd like the ability to put a full sheet on it, would probably prefer wheels, hence the rigid, and don't care much about portability.

Cut with confidence with the powerful and dependable RIDGID Table Saws. Shop here.

These are a few that come to mind as I am drooling at Lowes and HD.

Does anyone have any positive or negative experience with these?

Thanks for any advice.

-Brendan
  • dynamowhum
    • Aug 2006

For a little more money you can get a Jet with cast iron tables in the contractors version. I have one and they are one very nice saw. Be warned though they are very heavy.

Comment

• chasw98
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Look in the classifieds of your local newspaper. Sometimes you can find a real deal at a very good price. I got a Craftsman radial arm saw for $125. It is one of the good old ones when they made them from metal.

Chuck

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
        • May 2006

Is $500 the bottom limit? I'm looking for a table saw as well around the $750 price range so I'm also open to suggestions.

Comment

• Amphiprion
          • Apr 2006

I have used Jet and Powermatic contractors saws in the 600-900 price range and think both are excellent. Get the 50" Beisemeyer style fence system with them. You will find yourself eventually wanting the 50", so go ahead and get it now. And definitely get cast iron wings.

Comment

• RobP
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

I would give the nod to a JET saw with a fence upgrade as well, as far as a unit with full sheet capabilties, those add ons are not cheap, you can build one yourself and make it fold away for storage.
            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• jdybnis
              • Dec 2004

What advantages for speaker building do saws in the $500+ range have over the $300 Ryobi?
              -Josh

Comment

• posix
                • Feb 2005

I don't know I always recommend festool. Have a look at this vid here, maybe this can help you make your decision. BTW you can connect two rails for very long cuts.

Comment

• dawaro
                  • Feb 2005

I have had the Ridgid saw since 12/05 and I have no complaints at all. Very nice saw for this price range. The mobile base that is included makes it very easy to move around. When I got mine they were doing a lifetime warranty promotion that sealed the deal for me.
                  I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• JoshK
                    • Mar 2005

Like others have mentioned, check your local classifieds and craigslist. I got a Rigid off Craigslist for ~$300 iirc and put another $250 into a cast iron benchdog router table insert. This allowed me to use the other cast iron wing to expand the workable area.

My rigid is a slightly older version of the higher end one they sell now. It has a cast iron table and wings, which I believe is the same now too. But I really love the lift system it comes with, which is necessary in my basement shop. I need to be able to move the big toys around and then out of the way when not in use. It allows me to have a lot more tools in a smaller area.

I did a bit of research when I was in the market and pretty much all the suggestions here are good ones, I recommend you see if there are any good deals to be had on the used market.

Comment

• Brian Walter
                      • Sep 2005

Brendan, I think you would be very happy with any of the saws. I haven't personally inspected all of them, but they appear to be fairly decent saws. A couple of comments: for working with MDF, you will want the best dust collection you can get, and from the pictures, I'd say the Sears saw with the motor tucked under the top will provide better dust collection. All of the rip guides/fences appear fairly decent, but it wouldn't hurt to check them out before buying; A good rip guide makes life so much easier. I use and like the Bessemer style fence quite a bit, so I would tend to recommend the Delta or Grizzly in that regard, but my brother has the older Rigid saw and the fence on it seems to work really good as well.

I hear a lot of people recommending buying used saws, which if you know what you are looking at and are good at fixing things can be a good way to go. But you could also get burned going that route. If you don't need a saw right-a-way and are willing to wait 6 months or so, buying used might be good, you just never know how long it will take to find something good. It certainly wouldn't hurt to check and see what is available right now, locally before buying new, you never know something good might be just waiting for you.

Brian Walter

Comment

• JoshK
                        • Mar 2005

P.S. the benchdog router table add on I can highly recommend. It is not cheap, and I was hesitant to drop the cash for it, as I have always liked to go the value route with tools, but I am glad I did. The first two times I used it when my wife and I were doing some work for the house I knew it was worth it. My wife even said, "I'm glad you bought that. It's really handy." (My wife is miss frugal).

Comment

• cjd
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Dec 2004

The Fence system on the Ridgid is excellent. If you want a one-stop starting place, it's a great option. I seem to recall it did exceedingly well in the tests done in one of the Taunton Press publications (probably Fine Homebuilding)

I have the step down from that - the fold-up version. Works superbly.

And, I would not try to do full sheets on a contractor saw if you're wanting to move it about. A sawboard does quite well and is 100% safer. And if you're going to install it with more permanent table extensions, why not just save up for a cabinet saw?

C
                          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• mrogowski
                            • Jul 2006

Sears has arguably one of the best/accurate rip fences out there for the price. I kick myself for not going with a Sears unit. Instead I went with a King contracter model. Built like a brick S.H. but the fence really bites.

If I had another chance, I'd go with the Sears unit and the addon extension table.

Best,
                            Mark
                            Where no sound has gone before

Comment

• moreants
                              • May 2006

Just picked up this table saw today;

I needed the room as I work out of my garage and the folding option works great.

And yes, the rip fence and especially the adjustable angled one on the left is what sold me too.

Comment

• dynamowhum
                                • Aug 2006

Congratulations on your new saw. I had a couple of sears saws in the past with the grate type top and between that and the fence they had I was not a happy camper. I am sure those are not features of your saw.
                                I would not make a generalization that you can't cut a full sheet of mdf on a contractors saw. I certainly have no problems on my jet. Now my brother inlaws portable table saw will tip over with full sheet goods. But for anything else I really like it. Cheers.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2002

Hmmm, I hadn't looked at the Sears saws in a while. One of them looks like a klone of the very popular but now discontinued Ryobi BT3100. I know Jonmarsh loves his Ryobi and the Sears looks to have the same sliding extensions, fence, miter guide, huge 30" rip capacity, etc.

Comment

• JoshK
                                    • Mar 2005

I read a lot of talk on tool/woodworking forums that Sears basically rebrands all the tools and gets other companies, in particular Ryobi, to manfacture for them. Many of the Sears power tools are supposedly rebranded Ryobi's, so it would make sense that the BT3100 is the base of the above saw.

Comment

• Martyn
                                      • Feb 2006

Your choice of saw is going to depend on how much use it's going to see (every weekend or just a couple of times a year?), what kind of work it's going to do (ripping plywood or dadoing hardwood?), and the size of your workshop (do you have room to swing a 4' x' 8' sheet?).

I've been "making do" with an 8" Makita for years. It's a real pain and is very limiting, but it's hard to find the space for a decent machine. I've been looking at new saws on and off for sometime, but haven't made a final decision yet. I like the Rigid's top and fence, and the price is right, but I don't like the tilt and height mechanisms - too flimsy. I will never buy another Delta machine - the design and quality is too poor, although buying a used one (pre-China) would be OK. A used cabinet saw would be perfect if it is within your budget and you have the space.

Comment

• stidrvr
                                        • Sep 2005

My vote to is for the Ridgid. I read a review on it when it was compared to the the Delta, Jet, Grizzly, and one other. The Ridgid did win. I have been using a Bosch, comaprable to the Ryobi. It just doesnt have the power and I cant even imagine doing dado with it. All in all Id recomend the Ridgid to anyone but at 380lbs its a beast....which is a good thing!

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                                          • May 2006

Originally posted by Dennis H
                                          Hmmm, I hadn't looked at the Sears saws in a while. One of them looks like a klone of the very popular but now discontinued Ryobi BT3100.

Wow

Except it is $450, and I paid $220 for a BT3100 from the BORG in May. That is too bad.
                                          Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
                                          -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• Dennis H
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Aug 2002

Yeah they were really cheap when they were closing out remaining stock. You scored.

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                                              • May 2006

Would someone mind providing some links to the saws ya'll are talking about? I am looking for one that has the possibility of doing a dado as long as it's still around $700.

Comment

• dynamowhum
                                                • Aug 2006

Jet.com my friend.

Comment

• big_ezy
                                                  • Jun 2006

Here are a couple of table saws regarded as good values on the woodworking forums: contractors saw for 110v

if 220v is an option

I don't have either of these saws but I have other grizzly machinery that I am very pleased with.

Earl

Comment

• stidrvr
                                                    • Sep 2005

Here ya go TS 3650

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                                                      • May 2006

The more of these links I click on, the happier I am with my purchase. :E
                                                      Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
                                                      -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                                                        • May 2006

Originally posted by dynamowhum
                                                        Jet.com my friend.
                                                        Well, jettools.com would be my preference. To search the web, I use google.

-Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Aug 2002

I am looking for one that has the possibility of doing a dado as long as it's still around $700.
                                                          Any saw can do a dado if you have the blade. Personally, I prefer to do them with a router.

Comment

• dynamowhum
                                                            • Aug 2006

Yeah dados can be a pain on a table saw to get right. What ever you do don't get one of those wobble type dado blades. cheers

Comment

• dynamowhum
                                                              • Aug 2006

Johnathon I stand corrected, thanks.

Comment

• posix
                                                                • Feb 2005

funny that whenever I mention festool everyone avoids it like a plague? is festool not particularly popular or liked in the states? it's the choice of top cabinetmakers in the uk. something akin to the hitachi drill/driver - tiny but boy does it rip! expensive though.

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                                                                  • May 2006

Originally posted by posix
                                                                  funny that whenever I mention festool everyone avoids it like a plague?

expensive though.
                                                                  Uhh...

Bingo.

$430 (<2" deep cutting capacity) or $550 (~2.75") for a circular saw and a saw guide?

I understand they are good. So is a Mercedes. Neither are purchased often by the "average guy", however.

I liked it when some guy on a woodworking forum gave me a link (w/o a price) to a Festool router when I was asking for help between the M12V and the DW625. I think, "ok, another $200, +/- a bit, 15amp router to choose from". No. It was a >$400 ~10amp router. I couln't believe he made that suggestion to me, once I figgured that out.

At least the OP is actually looking for a product in the pricerange of the items you suggested.
                                                                  -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• Ray Collins
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2006

SawStop

I have a fear of loosing a finger or two so I am purchasing a SawStop when they are released this fall. Not a budget item but it will provide equanemity.
                                                                    Wine is constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.
                                                                    BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Comment

• JoshK
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2005

Then you wouldn't be happy using my table...I long since removed the blade guard. Its easier to line up cuts, etc now, but it does put the fear of God into you. You have to be extremely careful with the guard off, and there is no kickback protection so I don't stand behind the piece between the fence and the blade.

Comment

• Ray Collins
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2006

Whoa!!!!!!! That puts ants all over me!!!!

I use a high-end Milwaukee circular saw fitted with a CMT 40 tooth blade and a series of saw boards as a substitute for a table saw. Once you learn to use this system (it is a very common carpenter's jig ) you can achieve dead-on true cuts...even bevel cuts. Repeat cross cuts are also a breeze.
                                                                        Wine is constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.
                                                                        BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Comment

• seattle_ice
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jun 2006

I currently have the Ridgid. It is very well made, the stock fence is quite good, and the dust collection is pretty good. The wheel setup is pretty slick too.
                                                                          If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!
                                                                          How to build a theater in 1,110,993 easy steps

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2006
                                                                            • 256

Sorry I haven't had time to look around lately as school has been taking up my time. I know amazon.com has a sale going on on tools right now and I was looking at getting one from them.

My question is, how good is the performance a portable table saw? I saw a nice bosch one that had good ratings and I was thinking about that one. I am also thinking about getting a contractors saw, but is 1 1/2 hp really enough? That just sounds so low to me...

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Aug 2000
                                                                              • 10933

#39
                                                                              Portable saws are the biggest compromise since they're designed to be 'lightweight'. If you look at the recommended saws they're HEAVY and there's a reason for this .....:wink:

1.5 hp is fine for most jobs. It's certainly enough to build speakers. Use 80 tooth carbide blades and feed the stock at a rate appropriate to it's thickness.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• seattle_ice
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jun 2006
                                                                                • 212

#40
                                                                                You have to take the ratings with a grain of salt. The portable saws use a different type of motor than the contractor bench saws.

Another factor to consider is if you plan on having the saw for a long time. It costs a lot more to replace the motor on a portable saw than a cabinet one.
                                                                                If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!
                                                                                How to build a theater in 1,110,993 easy steps

Comment

• topp
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Dec 2005
                                                                                  • 40

#41
                                                                                  Brendan,

I currently have the Delta 36-675 and have made several speakers with it. I bought mine at HD for less than $400 on clearance, so Amazon's price seems a little high for the saw. If speakers are the only things you are going to build I think you could go with a cheaper saw. But if you want to start making other things, have the room, and the cash I would look at a little better saw. I like my saw, but I would love to have a Cabinetry saw. The new Craftsman Hybrids, Ridgid, Delta, and Grizzly all get good reviews from people. My suggestion is to go read some reviews at woodnet.net about the different table saws.

Later,
                                                                                  Topp

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • May 2006
                                                                                    • 256

#42
                                                                                    Thanks for the quick replies. I guess the 4hp of the bosch saw blinded my eyes.

Another question, are the 120V saws powerful enough if I'm going to be doing things such as building a deck and other woodworking projects or should I go with 220V?

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Aug 2000
                                                                                      • 10933

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by Inu_Yasha
                                                                                      Another question, are the 120V saws powerful enough if I'm going to be doing things such as building a deck and other woodworking projects or should I go with 220V?
                                                                                      Here's a tip, one doesn't use a table saw to build a deck. For deck building one uses a hand held circular saw AND and sliding miter (aka chop-saw)

For a table saw having a 220V option is nice, but not a deal breaker. Many saws can be wired for either 110/220.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• dynamowhum
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Aug 2006
                                                                                        • 260

#44
                                                                                        Thomas just looked at your saw on the mission acomplished archive tool recommendation thread. Nice saw to say the least. Have you ever used a link belt for your saw?

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                                          • 10933

#45
                                                                                          Thanks, it's literally the 'battleship-in-the-basement'...:wink:

I've looked at the link-belts when in the Rockler store and wondered....

Rockler keeps sending me discount coupons, so I suppose I should pop for a set.....:huh:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"