X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • savage25xtreme
    • Dec 2008

Ridgid table saw

Just thought I would throw out there that home depot has the normally 600 dollar Ridgid table saw on sale at my local stores for 399. seems like a smoking deal for a guy like me trying to tool up for speaker building

this is the online price/info: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...01+500744+1600

the one at my local store has the table extenders and is as I said above regular 600.

I think they are on clearance for there new model to come out which will be the same but the a granite top and weigh in at almost 500 pounds 8O
    Gavin

BAMTM Build
  • Bear
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2008

I'd be curious about the pro's/con's of this model versus the BT3100 (and its currently available Sears variant).
    Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• Bent
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2003

what is the model nubmer of the sears varient of the BT3100?

Comment

• savage25xtreme
        • Dec 2008

cast iron table top would come to mind first and industrial motor. A lot of contractors that use the 3100 on a weekly basis complain of changing motors too often in the 3100... or so I read.
        Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• savage25xtreme
          • Dec 2008

also my soon to be father in law has the craftsmen mentioned above and when we were feeding cabinet grade oak ply into it the table itself was moving, way more than I like. maybe the legs just need to be braced better, but its hard enough wrestling a 4x8 sheet of ply without the table saw moving. a 324 pound table saw is not going to move as much as an 80 pound one or whatever the ryobi weighs.
          Last edited by savage25xtreme; 29 January 2009, 12:47 Thursday. Reason: put in weight from HD website
          Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• ahaik
            • Feb 2007

If you are willing to buy used, you can get much better deals, I purchased a used Jet contractor with a 52" HTC fence and a mobile base for $500 in an almost new condition which I consider a big upgrade from the Ridgid, the guy was very nice and gave me a $150 worth miter gauge with it.
            Unfortunately a lot of businesses are closing now and you can get great deals.
            I might have an opportunity to buy a 5HP JET Special Edition Cabinet saw with the 52" fence and the extended mobile base for $500 (Over $2500 new), will sell mine if I do.

Asi.

Comment

• savage25xtreme
              • Dec 2008

hmmm might be time to hit up craigslist haha
              Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• ahaik
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by savage25xtreme
                hmmm might be time to hit up craigslist haha
                That's where I got mine :W

Comment

• cjd
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Dec 2004

I have a Ridgid (the folding version, which has an aluminum top sadly). The fence is superb on the Ridgid and the rest built solidly. So yes, if you're looking for this type of saw in this price range, and new, it's absolutely a good buy.
                  diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• mikela
                    • Mar 2008

I bought that model of Rigid last year for around $400 from Home Depot and used it to build my Statements. I like the fact that I can use the step pedal to lift the saw up on it's casters and then roll it out onto my driveway for use underneath a sun canopy.

Mike

Comment

• savage25xtreme
                      • Dec 2008

thanks for the feedback all :T

I will be starting my Statements soon as well.
                      Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• DeathMonk
                        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by cjd
                        I have a Ridgid (the folding version, which has an aluminum top sadly). The fence is superb on the Ridgid and the rest built solidly. So yes, if you're looking for this type of saw in this price range, and new, it's absolutely a good buy.
                        I have this one also and fully agree with you.. Awesome saw.

It's a portable saw so most people (like me) enjoy that feature

Comment

• savage25xtreme
                          • Dec 2008

looked through the craigslist in my area and nothing great. there was a delta 34-444 but he wanted a lot for a used $900 saw. All my other power tools except my router are Ridgid and I have been extremely happy with them. I think Ill go play with it again now that I have my 10% off coupon :twisted:
                          Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• David_D
                            • Feb 2008

+1 on the Ridgid Saw.
                            I build machinery for a living saw it has cut aluminum for 3 yrs running and cut up my statement center full of dados & rabbets.
                            It never whines, just cuts.
                            -David

As we try and consider
                            We receive all we venture to give

Comment

• Bear
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Bent
                              what is the model nubmer of the sears varient of the BT3100?
                              Model#: 21829; regularly $529, but frequently on sale for $100 off.

Sears also has a cheap plunge router that I picked up that has a digital depth gauge. It got good marks for the accuracy of the gauge, and for $99, I considered it a fun experiment to see if I could tell the difference between a 5mm and a 5.5mm hole when mounting woofers.

Comment

• deucelee
                                • Nov 2008

+7 on the ridgid...

i love mine, i really do...i did a couple of minor mods on mine and the dust collection is great with my ridgid 16 gal vac...

i love the fact that i can move it around my basement with ease (no separate moving plate to deal with). the power is very good and it's a solid saw...

i got mine for $420...for that price, i don't think you can do better new...the other guys say you can get used better for that price and it's true, but i don't live in a big metro area with a big selection of used stuff so it wasn't an option for me...

if you were to get it for the msrp of $600, i'd def add $200 and get a nice hybrid...but for $400, seriously, you WON'T regret it!!!

Comment

• CraigJ
                                  • Feb 2006

Bear,

Regarding a BT3100, currently there is a BT3000 listed on the Houston Craigslist for $175. I have the BT3100 and it works very well for "box" making. Heck, a good circular saw runs $125+

Craig

Comment

• ahaik
                                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by savage25xtreme
                                    looked through the craigslist in my area and nothing great. there was a delta 34-444 but he wanted a lot for a used $900 saw. All my other power tools except my router are Ridgid and I have been extremely happy with them. I think Ill go play with it again now that I have my 10% off coupon :twisted:
                                    I have certainly heard good things about the Ridgid. Depending on your application of course. I just bought a "new" house and have setup my double car garage as a heated workshop, so I have the room for it. So if you have that I would highly recommend the nicer stationary saw (no comparison IMO, there is a reason why those setups cost at least 2.5 times then the Ridgid).
                                    If you need to haul it and work outside the Ridgid is your better option.
                                    When I built the statement I had to use my brothers crappy craftsman saw and I am never going back to that :roll:

Edit: as usual my camera date is wrong ops:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tablesaw.jpg
Views:	1830
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	852101
                                    Last edited by theSven; 23 July 2023, 05:25 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Bear
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by CraigJ
                                      Bear,

Regarding a BT3100, currently there is a BT3000 listed on the Houston Craigslist for $175. I have the BT3100 and it works very well for "box" making. Heck, a good circular saw runs $125+

Craig
                                      Craig - Thanks for the heads up! I actually bought the Sears model, but it's still in the box. I like the collapsible form factor for moving around our small garage (Montrose area bungalow), but the $175 may be tempting enough to go check out this weekend if I have time and it's still available. I expect it will sell, though.

I looked at one a couple of weekends ago, and the guy had described it was "needing a new motor and a little clean-up". In reality, it needed scrapping. All of the steel had rusted, so the fence wouldn't articulate at all, the motor was shot, and the bolts to the legs wouldn't come off. Kind of surprising that it was in that bad of shape considering it was stationed on his back deck with the blade arbor on a plane with the edge of his roof. Oh, yeah, no gutters. :T :T

Bill

Comment

• CraigJ
                                        • Feb 2006

Hi Bill,

Personally, I've had little success buying on Craigslist, most people in my area want retail prices. You never know thought. IMHO, make sure you buy for the future, and not necessarily for price. Good tools make a difference.

Craig
                                        edit. you can always put a HD Hercules lift on the BT for moving the saw around. Here is a good forum for the BT3100; www.bt3central.com/forum.php

Comment

• Paul Ebert
                                          • May 2004

I've been eyeing this saw for a number of years, since using my neighbors a few times. The only feature I wish it had is a riving knife. Will the new model have one?

Comment

• eyekode
                                            • Jun 2008

Yes the new model does have a riving knife and IMHO will be a steal at 600$
                                            Cut with confidence with the powerful and dependable RIDGID Table Saws. Shop here.

Don't get me wrong, the model they are clearing out is a great deal at 400$. But I really like the idea of cabinet mounted trunnions, a riving knife and an enclosed cabinet for dust collection.

Comment

• RobP
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Nov 2004

I have that same setup, just the older blue version, been a really great saw. i got one heck of a deal on mine............free. A company I used to work for was going out of business, I asked what they were going to do with their tools, they said take em! Took home a new saw, drill press, router and a few other small tools.
                                              Last edited by theSven; 23 July 2023, 05:23 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                              Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Jan 2006

Robert always gets lucky like that....me I sometimes get lucky on the instant win lottery tickets but that's about it.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Jan 2006

Just looked at that link for the new model Rigid. It has a granite top? Wow.... that looks really nice if it's really only 600! Hmm...

Comment

• RobP
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Nov 2004

I think its the new model coming out that has the granite. cant imagine the weight on that thing.
                                                    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Jan 2006

It looks nice though And has those nice movers on it already. If I ever see a good deal on that one may have to snatch one up and let it sit somewhere until we get a place I can use it lol... If it really is going to be 600 just seems like a very nice saw for 600 bucks and if its ever on sale then wow

Comment

• johnvb
                                                        • Dec 2004

Just want to add, for starter diyers, there's always the rent option. I'm building a couple of 18" cube subs, and the only crap power tool I own is a smallish Dewalt table saw. So I rented a Rigid from Home Depot (different one, with a 24"? rip limit).

By pre cutting my panels into 2'x2's with a circular saw, I was able to pick up the table saw, use it, and return it in less than 4 hours. Total cost, including rental, damage protection, and tax: $32.55. I think the 24 hour rental cost is about $10 more. Good way to get one's diy feet wet

Comment

• Paul Ebert
                                                          • May 2004

Originally posted by eyekode
                                                          Yes the new model does have a riving knife and IMHO will be a steal at 600$
                                                          Cut with confidence with the powerful and dependable RIDGID Table Saws. Shop here.

Don't get me wrong, the model they are clearing out is a great deal at 400$. But I really like the idea of cabinet mounted trunnions, a riving knife and an enclosed cabinet for dust collection.
                                                          Yeah, those features are very nice and it does seem to be a great deal. The fence doesn't seem as nice as the one it's replacing, IMO. I guess this would be considered a hybrid saw? I wasn't aware of that development until I checked out this thread. It seems like a perfect option for me. After having been spoiled by use of my woodworking instructor's Unisaw, I've always felt the contractor saws I've owned were major compromises. Usable, but a compromise.

Comment

• savage25xtreme
                                                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by RobP
                                                            I think its the new model coming out that has the granite. cant imagine the weight on that thing.
                                                            the Ridgid website says 450 pounds... 8O

There is a guy on the Ridgid forum that got one special ordered and posted pics of the unpacking and setup if your interested.

Images not available
                                                            Last edited by theSven; 23 July 2023, 05:24 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image link
                                                            Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• Rolex
                                                              • Mar 2005

I cannot stress the importance of buying right the first time enough. I went straight for the delta unisaw. No point in buying a saw twice. Cabinet saws are by far and away better than contracor of hybrid saws. Even the fence alone makes it worth. It is a big investment, though.

Comment

• yousuredo2
                                                                • Jun 2006

Thanx for the heads up OP...
                                                                I have been looking at these for a while, but couldn't pull the trigger at $600.
                                                                But at this Price I couldn't resist.

So I went out yesterday and picked one up...
                                                                Took all afternoon to put it together.

My previous saw was a smaller Craftsman 24" rip, 3.0 amp, aluminum top deal...
                                                                so this is a step up for sure.
                                                                chris

any recommended add on's, accessories for this ?
                                                                My System
                                                                ~ BenQ w5000 DLP 1080p Projector
                                                                ~ Sony Bravia SXRD KDS-60A3000
                                                                ~ Onkyo tx sr805
                                                                ~ Sony PS.3
                                                                ~ Xbox 360
                                                                ~ Natalie P's Main L/R
                                                                ~ Polk Csi A6 -Center
                                                                ~ Polk RTi6 Rears
                                                                ~ Behringer ep2500
                                                                ~ Behringer Fbq 2496

Comment

• cyberspyder
                                                                  • Apr 2008

My shop has a couple General Canada and Deltas....kickass saws...leagues ahead of Ridgid IMO.

Brendan

Comment

• savage25xtreme
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by cyberspyder
                                                                    My shop has a couple General Canada and Deltas....kickass saws...leagues ahead of Ridgid IMO.

Brendan
                                                                    some of us are working out of our garages and on our front porches and driveways.

Kinda hard to have a 600lbs saw with no wheels on it.

Chris, glad you got one, I'm hoping there are some left around about tax return time
                                                                    Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• cyberspyder
                                                                      • Apr 2008

That's not a problem...I'd be willing to build a movable base for a stationary saw. And it weighs around 400 pounds BTW.

Comment

• DeathMonk
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jun 2008

Out of the box I liked the ridgid better than the delta I used (delta in the same price range).

Comment

• savage25xtreme
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2008

the cabinet saw they are talking about is the Delta Unisaw and other variations from different manufactures, they are in the $1500 range new.
                                                                          Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• DeathMonk
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jun 2008
                                                                            • 232

not really a fair comparison

Comment

• cyberspyder
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Apr 2008
                                                                              • 60

#39
                                                                              Naw....more like $600 for a decent Rockwell: Rockwell Unisaw

Or maybe if you're lucky, this: Delta Unisaw

Comment

• Bent
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Sep 2003
                                                                                • 1570

#40
                                                                                That Delta Says it's a 3Ø unit.
                                                                                (oops, same for the Rockwell)
                                                                                But it's not an insurmountable obstacle for me.

Comment

• Mazeroth
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Nov 2004
                                                                                  • 422

#41
                                                                                  ...and those are used.

Originally posted by cyberspyder
                                                                                  Naw....more like $600 for a decent Rockwell: Rockwell Unisaw

Or maybe if you're lucky, this: Delta Unisaw

Comment

• cyberspyder
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Apr 2008
                                                                                    • 60

#42
                                                                                    There's nothing wrong with used equipment though...hell when anyone was getting into a trade, they didn't get new stuff.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Jan 2006
                                                                                      • 16075

#43
                                                                                      I think it would probably be pretty hard to beat that new granite top Ridgid at 600 bucks anywhere in the 1k range. It doesn't look like much of a hybrid saw Pretty close to a cabinet saw.

Comment

• cyberspyder
                                                                                        Member
                                                                                        • Apr 2008
                                                                                        • 60

#44
                                                                                        Depends on your location I guess. Me, I'd take the Delta used over the ridgid, but of course, that's just me. And the fact that there are loads of aftermarket addons to it makes it a bit better. As long as it cuts well and gives great results without compromises, then it has my vote.

Brendan

Comment

Working...
                                                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                        Search Result for "|||"