X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theSven
    Master of None
    • Jan 2014

ATS Acoustic Panels Installed

I finally took the plunge 3 weeks ago and purchased some 48"x24" ATS acoustic panels for the theater/listening room. In preparation for the new center channel Steve Manning is helping me with. Per the posts from Evil Twin getting a panel was required. I first ordered 6 panels, but then realized I needed 7 for the center channel and had to call ATS the next day to get another panel added.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2009.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	2.70 MB
ID:	951058
    The panels came in boxes nicely packaged for the journey to my house. My tiny dog to show some scale of how big the boxes are.

Name:	IMG_2010.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	951059
    One of the panels removed from the packaging, but still has the plastic protector on. There are 6 black panels and 1 burgundy to match the carpet in the room.

Name:	IMG_2011.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	951060

The easiest panel to install was the Burgundy one, it lays on the floor. When the new center channel is in use the sub tube will be retired. I need to start looking at a new subwoofer setup for the theater. Interestingly enough, using this panel with the current center channel I notice a difference. The vocals of people talking are even clearer now for word enunciation. Not knowing what to expect with this I had a surprise. I pulled the panel away and put it back multiple times to make sure my brain was not teasing me. I also had another friend over to validate the sound as well. We both agreed the vocals were cleaner with the panel in place. I can only imagine how the new center channel will sound and perform.

Next up the start of how I used the panels for a few days.

Painter in training
  • theSven
    Master of None
    • Jan 2014

I had previously done the mirror test with a friend over to see roughly where the panels should go. Therefore I set the panels up on the floor in their future rough location.

Name:	IMG_2012.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	951062 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2013.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	951063
    I placed two panels up front about 10" apart and the third panel on each side are placed 24" down the wall. I tried to have the panels roughly centered where the middle blue tape was. There were three pieces of tape per panel and that was from checking each seat with the mirror test.

I left the panels like this for rest of the week and once Saturday arrived I planned to install the panels onto the wall.

Next up panel installation...
    Painter in training

Comment

• technodanvan
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2009

All that black really makes the speakers pop!
      - Danny

Comment

• theSven
        Master of None
        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by technodanvan
        All that black really makes the speakers pop!
        Now that you mention it, I see that. I did all black for the lighting with the projector. It's truly a pitch black room with no natural light. Also from all the insulation in the walls and ceiling it is one of the most comfortable rooms in the house too.
        Painter in training

Comment

• theSven
          Master of None
          • Jan 2014

Installation was not very difficult. The time to get the line projected probably took longer as it has been a while since I have used the laser level šŸ˜‚.

Name:	IMG_2020.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	951081 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2021.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	951082

I mounted the laser level to one of my C-Stands that I use for holding off camera flash's. The template for the ATS panels is taped to the wall with blue masking tape and aligned with the red line from the laser level. I raised the panels 6" off the floor.

Name:	IMG_2022.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	2.95 MB
ID:	951083

A closer view of the template on the wall with the laser level lines.

Name:	IMG_2027.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	3.61 MB
ID:	951084 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2030.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	3.93 MB
ID:	951085

The template is taken off the wall and put on the back of the panel to mark the holes for the panel mounts. I was very careful with the template, as there was only one shipped to use for the panels.

Name:	IMG_2031.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	3.67 MB
ID:	951086 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2023.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	3.85 MB
ID:	951087

After the holes are marked the brackets are mounted with the provided hardware. That Bosh driver is from 2006 and the batteries still work! Not for very long, but I'm pretty impressed to have had this driver for 18 years now.

Name:	IMG_2024.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	951088

The brackets installed on the wall after removing the paper template. I forgot to put paper down on the floor to catch the dust. I didn't make that mistake for the other five panels! The wet marks on the wall are from trying to wipe up the drywall dust from drilling the holes. This wall only has furring strips and then drywall. I had to drill into the concrete for the wall anchors to fit and the mounts were attached.

Name:	IMG_2025.jpg
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	951089 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2026.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	951090

The first panel is mounted and level! I repeated this process for the remaining 5 panels to mount. The panel slides down onto the clips and is held snugly in place.

Next up some images of all the panels mounted.
          Painter in training

Comment

• theSven
            Master of None
            • Jan 2014

The panels are in place and the small mess cleaned up to complete this small project.

Name:	IMG_2036.jpg
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	951093 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2037.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	951092

The one panel on the left side walking into the theater is higher up due to the raised platform in the back, however the spacing is the same 24" from the first two panels.

Now what did the listening session sound like after install?

I was blown away by how the room sounded. The sound stage is even more lively with more details that you can hear in the music. The bass response has significantly improved in the room as well. I've not tested with the subwoofer yet, only the Ardent D's. All in all it's almost like i have a new set of speakers to listen to and all it took was the installation of these panels to make a difference to my ears. I may end up trying to make some more for around the house now and get some of the photos I've taken printed and would stretch that over the panels to make them functional art. I didn't think that made much sense in this room which is why I went with black wall panels and the burgundy to match the carpet.

A big thank you to ATS Acoustics for the great customer service and fast delivery of these panels. It took right about a week to have them delivered from when I placed the order.

Now it's time to get back to listening and watching movies!
            Painter in training

Comment

• JonMarsh
              JonMarsh commented
              Editing a comment
              I hope this helps convince a lot of others on the forum to give their room setup more attention.... you might be surprised how much audible difference having the one in front of the CC POC test build on the floor makes. It's the same kind of interaction.
          • technodanvan
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2009

I want to do this so bad.
            - Danny

Comment

• Steve Manning
              • Dec 2006

Very nice Sven, glad to hear that you got more than planed for with the improvement in sound.

I'm with you Danny, this is my want list as well.
              Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by technodanvan
                I want to do this so bad.
                You will be so happy when you do... even just two panels strategically placed can make a surprising difference. I like my old ones, though, with the 45 degree angle metal edge bevels. Unfortunately, they don't make them like that anymore.
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"