X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leo2498
    • Feb 2012

Best acoustic panel for listening room?

Hi guys I want acoustic treatment to my room (many thanks for the advise Kal) but I not know which is better bass traps or acoustic panels for my type of room. anyone knows the ATS acoustic panels? what do you use in your rooms? any advise? my room you can see in this link http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...&folderid=6706
    Leo,
    Saludos
    My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

There is no generic advise. I suggest you read up on how to do this (e.g., Everest's Master Handbook of Acoustics, websites like Bob Gold's, etc.) and/or get consultations from some of the reliable suppliers (e.g., RealTraps, GIKacoustics, ATS, etc.).
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• leo2498
      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
      There is no generic advise. I suggest you read up on how to do this (e.g., Everest's Master Handbook of Acoustics, websites like Bob Gold's, etc.) and/or get consultations from some of the reliable suppliers (e.g., RealTraps, GIKacoustics, ATS, etc.).

thanks Kal for the tip and the name of the book, I will read it. my question about the ATS panel was because this panel are sell in amazon and is more easy for me get it and import them but I read in a forum that it is not a real bass trap and they not do any improvement in sound. I don't have any dealer or professional in my city the only option is to do it myself.
      Last edited by leo2498; 06 April 2012, 23:37 Friday.
      Leo,
      Saludos
      My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

ATS markets a number of different types of panels which would be expected to have different performance.
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

You may be able to purchase the materials and make your own, or have them made for you.
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Isaac
            • Jan 2006

I have had good luck with Realtraps (Guilford) and Ready Acoustics (Chameleon) products.

Comment

• wkhanna
              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Link to Eathan Winer article.
              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

I think that's my next "project" is to figure out what I need to makes things sound better. Course that's after I get my speakers.
                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                -Dan

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

Yes very good, an other one is that is a recommended read for anyone who cares about sound is:

Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms

By Floyd Toole
                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by wkhanna
                    Link to Eathan Winer article.
                    Leo-

This is a great link. You should e-mail Ethan if you need specific advice. I had dinner with him last night and I mentioned you.

Kal
                    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• leo2498
                      • Feb 2012

Leo-

This is a great link. You should e-mail Ethan if you need specific advice. I had dinner with him last night and I mentioned you.

Kal
                      Hi Kal,
                      thank you very much for talked to ethan about it, I'll read the article and send a email very soon.

thanks guys for your support with this thread.
                      Leo,
                      Saludos

Comment

• gene9p
                        • Mar 2012

I just installed these...very inexpensive and easy to hang and so far I am enjoying the sound improvement

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by gene9p
                          I just installed these...very inexpensive and easy to hang and so far I am enjoying the sound improvement

http://www.unitedplastics.com/consumer-my-theater.php
                          I am suspicious of panels that are (1) only 1" thick, (2) made of undefined material and (3) not provided with test data to demonstrate capability.
                          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• gene9p
                            • Mar 2012

There are definitely a lot better..but for those on a budget ,they work damn good.Here's a little more info:

They are available factory direct, sam's club online, Sears.com online, and Audio Advisor .com

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2006

Made of 1" fiberglass (of undefined density), it is unlikely they have any effect at all below midrange frequencies. If you add consideration of the solid (cardboard) backing, you also lose the ability to offset them from their mounting surface and extend the absorbtion to a lower frequencies a bit. I would predict that they would deaden the HF reflections a bit but have little or no effect at lower frequencies and are totally ineffectual in even upper bass where most rooms have the greatest needs. It is disappointing that the reporter for HTGUYS didn't do any measurements even though he says he uses REW.

Well, they are cheap but, imho, not worth even that when one can do much better DIY.
                              Kal Rubinson

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"