X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bambrose
    • Jul 2003

Different plasma panels

I'm now looking into a 42" plasma monitors for my system (I need some of my living room back). I'm looking into the tecnology end and I'vr noticed that some panels use the ALiS tecnology. These panels supposedly give you more resolution and better brightness by getting rid of the horizontal rows of non lighting material and having full vertical chambers of phosphor material.

They claim 1024 (interlaced) lines of vertical resolution as opposed to 768 (progressive) lines from other brands. I've looked at the panels. I don't know if I see a difference. If anyone has a plasma panel I'd appreciate any feedback on why you chose the one you did.

Are there huge differences in the conventional panels over an ALiS? Sony uses both conventional and ALiS 42" panels. Is one better? I don't get it.

Thanks for the help...

BA
    BA
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

I am pretty ignorant on the difference between these panel types, but I personally would prefer a prgressive image.

BB

Comment

• Aeromos
      • Jun 2003

I'm not an expert on plasmas but what you should make sure is that it's able to handle HD well. I've found that each company has a different name for essentially the same thing (their own gimmick - making it sound fancy). If you're going to dish out quite a bit of cash you should make sure you get great clarity, colour and contrast.

Aeromos
      Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
      My Collection
      Aeromos
      Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
      My Collection

Comment

• SiliGoose
        • Aug 2000

I'm not an expert on plasmas but what you should make sure is that it's able to handle HD well.
        If it has 1024 or 768 lines you can safely bet it's HD.

-Sili
        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

I don't think it should be 1024 lines interlaced for true HD, should it? I would think it should be 1024 progressive scan to be true HD.

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

For HD you need at least 720 progressive or 1080 interlaced. 1080 progressive would be ideal but those are costly right now. Resolutions like 1024 or 768 are fitting for computer use, but for native HD some scaling will occur which could cause a slight loss in picture quality.

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
            My HT Site

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Topic moved to a different sub-forum, eh?

CHRIS
              Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"