Official Wavecor Ardent Reference Thread - How we realized the Dream

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • meb46
    • Jul 2010

ergo - great stuff... I'm a +1 on the learning of CAD software. I taught myself Solidworks over the years and have found there is no better way to learn that actually having a project and self discovering issues and solutions. Its slow, but a great way to really understand what it can do and get the process/functionality firmly implanted in your head. Even with my latest build, I still sat with Solidworks open on one screen, YouTube on the other and switched between them every time I needed to brush up on functionality or tools.

Jon - On the wood working side of things, all of the cabinets with the Avalon style facets are going to possibly deter potential builders. Whilst the process of cutting them is straight forward, its not to be taken for granted by your entry level woodworker. Maybe the answer is an adjustable jig to fit on table saw's... business idea, albeit limited market What's the angle it needs to hold the baffle at and is it the same angle for both top and bottom facet cuts? Or how about an ingenious router template, something like a collar? Just throwing ideas out there...

Comment

• meb46
      • Jul 2010

Jon - Forgot to mention... finally got my Smith and Larson Tester... Will probably start and have a crack at tuning stuffing this weekend in the Subwoofer cabinets and maybe a spot of polishing!

Comment

• Carl V
        • Apr 2005

Would a big & generous round over solve the diffraction issue.
        Such as, Hales Concept, Older Thiel Or Kharma...there might be more.

Comment

• BobEllis
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

It does, but creates its own issues for finishing. Tapered round overs would require a jig or CNC. Then how do you veneer it? I'd vacuum bag, but that adds pretty significantly to the cost of tools.

Then it changes the look which may not be acceptable. I think the facets make the Ardents look lighter and less imposing. My girlfriend was not happy with the size of them without facets.

Comment

• dar47
            • Nov 2008

Funny how we are all bantering a bought an inexperienced wood worker with limited hand tool experience that is going to make it through all the precision cuts and perfectly paced recessed holes and then he comes to the facets and says I can't cut the facets. If I was said guy and I wanted to cut then on a saw I would just go to my saw's best depth and less angle and live with it. If I didn't want to use a power planer I would put 2 guides on or pencil line and buy a big Japanese pull saw and go slow, then sand. Probably just push easy button and take the baffle to a cabinet guy and have him cut them!

Now I so want to make a set by hand so I can route the facet with a router gig just for fun!

Comment

• ergo
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Renron
              Ergo,
              Excellent, glad to have you aboard the Ardent train. They sound so good !
              Looking forward to your build thread. Are you going full price Ardents ?

Ron
              Yes, I plan to go for the full price version. these would replace the Modula MKII EE versions in my family room... and they have to exceed the Minerva EE-s in my study then too
              Hmm, seems there is a pattern and I have not followed Jon's projects 100% this far. I might do this time though.

Comment

• TEK
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

I think the best solution is to make a sticky thread "how you can make the Ardent facets".
                There are so many ways to do it and with many different tool - anyone who is able to build the rest of the box should be able to cut them with a push in the right direction.
                -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by TEK
                  I think the best solution is to make a sticky thread "how you can make the Ardent facets".
                  There are so many ways to do it and with many different tool - anyone who is able to build the rest of the box should be able to cut them with a push in the right direction.
                  This isn't a bad idea at all- have a cutting facets thread. I'll have to see if as a moderator I have the tools necessary to "surgically copy" relevant parts of existing threads into a new one.

Things are crazy busy at work, and difficult in my personal life, too, so it might be a little while until I get to this, but hopefully can find some time on the weekend.

I've been using a newish (to me) GTD program called 2Do, for about the last nine months, and it's great about not letting me forget stuff (if I use it properly) but that just highlight how far behind I am on some things! :B
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by dar47
                    Funny how we are all bantering a bought an inexperienced wood worker with limited hand tool experience that is going to make it through all the precision cuts and perfectly paced recessed holes and then he comes to the facets and says I can't cut the facets. If I was said guy and I wanted to cut then on a saw I would just go to my saw's best depth and less angle and live with it. If I didn't want to use a power planer I would put 2 guides on or pencil line and buy a big Japanese pull saw and go slow, then sand. Probably just push easy button and take the baffle to a cabinet guy and have him cut them!

Now I so want to make a set by hand so I can route the facet with a router gig just for fun!

Oooh, you're hard core!

Just remember these were originally built by a guy who by NO MEANS is qualified as a competent wood worker- wires and sparks are my thing...

So, I have a tendency to figure, if I can do it, anyone can with a little effort? Or maybe equally poor common sense to taking on a difficult challenge?

BTW, I've used three different methods for facet cuts-

Big fixture holding a subsection of the baffle in place for a table saw rip (original Ardents)

Cut with a long reach 12" dual bevel sliding miter saw, with the last couple of inches using a Japanese hand held saw (Isiris)

Cut with a 5" circular saw hand held with a clamped guide using a thin kerf blade (under duress, for ET - his wood working skills are worse than mine- I think it's a problem from parallax or something with that helmet thing he has to wear) for the Dai Katana.
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by meb46
                      Jon - Forgot to mention... finally got my Smith and Larson Tester... Will probably start and have a crack at tuning stuffing this weekend in the Subwoofer cabinets and maybe a spot of polishing!

Hey, that's great! I'd like to have those impedance curves in your cabinets, of course!

I have received the pieces to build the text box for the AS250, but the weather has been seriously bad for doing any work outdoors or in the shed. Hopefully this will improve soon.
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Obi-Wan
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Renron
                        • Jan 2008

Here's a great quote from a cabinetmaking book I have, by Robert W. Lang.

"And don't be afraid to take your woodworking skills where you've never been before. You will be a lot happier with a completed project that pushed you to do better work than you will with one that doesn't look as good because you took the easy way out.
                        As a Professional cabinetmaker, I have been involved in some very high-end projects. The ones that were the most fun and turned out the best were the ones where none of us involved had ever attempted anything like that before."

In my own experience, one rung up the ladder leads to another rung. Soon you'll see just how far you've come.
                        "Is perfect good enough?"
                        Ron
                        Ardent TS

Comment

• Steve Manning
                          • Dec 2006

Here's a great quote from a cabinetmaking book I have, by Robert W. Lang.

"And don't be afraid to take your woodworking skills where you've never been before. You will be a lot happier with a completed project that pushed you to do better work than you will with one that doesn't look as good because you took the easy way out.
                          As a Professional cabinetmaker, I have been involved in some very high-end projects. The ones that were the most fun and turned out the best were the ones where none of us involved had ever attempted anything like that before."

In my own experience, one rung up the ladder leads to another rung. Soon you'll see just how far you've come.
                          "Is perfect good enough?"
                          Ron
                          Nice .....
                          Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• ergo
                            • Mar 2005

Building the Ardents virtually for now, but making some progress.

The project parameters work as they should - so the model scales nicely if I increase the layer thickness of the panel materials. Now on to the box modelling during the weekend.

Original intended baffle material thickness's
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Ardent_3D_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	862581

With both BB and Bamboo set to 1 1/2 inch just for a try

Name:	Ardent_3D_2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	862582

Comment

• augerpro
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2006

Jon maybe the facets are a perfect application of a track saw? I haven't used my Festool TS55 yet, but it seems pretty straight forward to clamp the track where you want, set the saw angle, and push.
                              ~Brandon 8O
                              Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                              Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                              DriverVault
                              Soma Sonus

Comment

• TEK
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Oct 2002

Originally posted by augerpro
                                Jon maybe the facets are a perfect application of a track saw? I haven't used my Festool TS55 yet, but it seems pretty straight forward to clamp the track where you want, set the saw angle, and push.
                                Yes, that does work

This thread was created for the purpose of introducing all the key concepts and documentation for the completed Wavecor Ardent without having to roam through the journal of the original Wavecor Ardent Thread. A little bit of the history of the Ardent project will be included in the introduction, but mainly this is intended to

But if you want to get all the way trough you will probably need a TS75 (-;
                                Last edited by theSven; 25 May 2023, 21:17 Thursday. Reason: Update htguide url
                                -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• Horio
                                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by TEK
                                  Yes, that does work

This thread was created for the purpose of introducing all the key concepts and documentation for the completed Wavecor Ardent without having to roam through the journal of the original Wavecor Ardent Thread. A little bit of the history of the Ardent project will be included in the introduction, but mainly this is intended to

But if you want to get all the way trough you will probably need a TS75 (-;
                                  ​

Tek,

Did you do your cuts in one slow pass or multiple?
                                  Last edited by theSven; 25 May 2023, 21:18 Thursday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• TEK
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2002

One pass, but I think I just have not thought about using several.
                                    But the Festool TS55 does bot go deep enough to go all the way trough, so I did the last part of the cut with a japaneese handsaw)
                                    Plywood usually goes OK in one pass - but full depth hardwood is a bit hard on the saw and cause the engine protection to apply quite often.
                                    If you go multiple passes you better be sure that your guide rail is fastened well.
                                    I use to clamp it on. Before I was using regular clamps, but then I got myself two of those festool clamps that is designed to work with the guide rail (fasten to a track at the inderside of the guide rail so they are not intefering with anything).
                                    Those work really well - but are cracy expensive as all other festool stuff.

Name:	31e1dhudmpL._SY300_.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	937466
                                    Last edited by theSven; 24 May 2023, 18:19 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location
                                    -TEK

Comment

• Renron
                                      • Jan 2008

Fe$tool, quality products but man, they are pricey!
                                      Remember that if you set the saw at 40* and cut with the saw on the face of the baffle, the facet will be 50* , I made that mistake and had to dutchie it up to repair it. 45* works and looks good thou.
                                      A quality Japanese Pull saw will finish the cut cleanly and easily.
                                      Ron
                                      Ardent TS

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                        • Aug 2000

About those resistors...

Something slightly different but relevant to the Ardents...

Over the holiday break I came across an interesting article by Martin Colloms in the July - September quarter issue 2011 of HiFi Critic, in which he reviews and evaluates resistors in the context of the impact on the sonics of a set of Wilson Audio Sophia's, comparing both the supplied Caddock resistors, and quite a few other resistor brands of the same value, including several types of Mundorfs, Duelund CAST, Vishay, Wlwyn, Mggitt, etc. Both statistical subjective responses were tabulated for each type, as well as measured data for the submitted samples for resistance accuracy and net inductance.

The Caddock resistors supplied by Wilson scored higher than most, but not as nearly as high as the Duelund CAST and the Mundorf MResist SUPREME (the recommended type for the Ardents, and the only one's I've used in my upscale speaker builds for the last 5 years).

For reference, the statistical combined subjective rating for the Caddocks that came with the Sophias was 53%; for the Mundorf MResist was 64%, and for the Duelund CAST was 79%.

So, those of you out there who would like to upgrade your tweeter and midrange protection/padding resistors on your $16,700 per pair Wilson Audio Sophia's know what to do... (other resistors came in even at comparative statical summary values of 40% and even 36%. Most ceramics came in around 40-43%). (BTW, for commercial speakers, these seem like pretty good value for the money, coming in where they do price wise, often half of possibly competing models)
                                        the AudioWorx
                                        Natalie P
                                        M8ta
                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                        Modula MT XE
                                        Modula Xtreme
                                        Isiris
                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                        Minerva Monitor
                                        Calliope
                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                        Obi-Wan
                                        Modula PWB
                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• wkhanna
                                          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2006

this is good, supporting evidence for what was already derived.
                                          i have the Mundorf MResist SUPREME spec'd for all four of the resistors in the BOM for my Duded Up Natalie P's (aka: my DuP's).

though i am not sure i really need this level of performance for R8, which appears to be more in the woofer section?
                                          ...... but i do not want to take any chances just for the sake of saving $30
                                          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• TEK
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2002

Fe$tool, quality products but man, they are pricey!
                                            Remember that if you set the saw at 40* and cut with the saw on the face of the baffle, the facet will be 50* , I made that mistake and had to dutchie it up to repair it. 45* works and looks good thou.
                                            A quality Japanese Pull saw will finish the cut cleanly and easily.
                                            Ron
                                            But that is bot nessesarly a problem - as the Wavecore Ardents look stunning with 50 degree angled baffels.
                                            Do not askme how I know, but I can reveale that I do have first hand experience on the issue :W
                                            -TEK

Comment

• BobEllis
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                              this is good, supporting evidence for what was already derived.
                                              i have the Mundorf MResist SUPREME spec'd for all four of the resistors in the BOM for my Duded Up Natalie P's (aka: my DuP's).

though i am not sure i really need this level of performance for R8, which appears to be more in the woofer section?
                                              ...... but i do not want to take any chances just for the sake of saving $30
                                              I'll make it easier on you, Bill. How many 10 W Mills resistors does it take to replace 20 W worth of Mresist supreme? What's the savings now? I used Mills in the Woofer RC only because I couldn't get the right value in Mundorf.
                                              G

Comment

• Renron
                                                • Jan 2008

I just did what E.T. told me to do. 'cause I like breathing.
                                                Ron
                                                Ardent TS

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by dar47

totally OT, but just wanted to shout out a "Happy B-Day" to our good friend from the Great North!

:banana::banana::banana:arty::banana::banana::banana:
                                                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                    • Aug 2000

Happy Birthday!

I'll second that motion! All the best! :T

:^x

:dancenana: :dancenana: :dancenana: :dancenana: :dancenana: :dancenana: :dancenana: :dancenana: :dancenana: :dancenana: :dancenana: :dancenana:
                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                    Natalie P
                                                    M8ta
                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                    Isiris
                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                    Calliope
                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                    Modula PWB
                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                      • Dec 2006

Happy Birthday Master Darrell ;b>

WEBSITE: http://www.smjaudio.com/

Comment

• dar47
                                                        • Nov 2008

Ah, thanks guys a year wiser as maybe older too!

Comment

• Renron
                                                          • Jan 2008

Sorry I missed it yesterday, but, happy birthday. I REALLY like the M51.
                                                          I was tearing apart my pellet stove yesterday to replace some worn out parts and a couple of motors and thought it would be nice to listen to some music while I worked on the stove. 4 CDs later I got up from the couch and went back to work on the stove. Good thing the wife unit was gone at the time............
                                                          Happy birthday buddy.
                                                          Ron
                                                          Ardent TS

Comment

• BobEllis
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Dec 2005

Add my belated happy birthday wishes to the list, Dar. I'm really happy that you guys went down this path. My Ardents makes PT breaks a bit more enjoyable.

Yes, like Ron's, my breaks are longer than they would be with my old speakers. Glad I have my music ripped - My new knee might collapse changing discs. The only down side of listening so much is the heat my Aleph-J generates. I'm not ready financially to head down the nCore path.

Comment

• TEK
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by BobEllis
                                                              Add my belated happy birthday wishes to the list, Dar. I'm really happy that you guys went down this path. My Ardents makes PT breaks a bit more enjoyable.

Yes, like Ron's, my breaks are longer than they would be with my old speakers. Glad I have my music ripped - My new knee might collapse changing discs. The only down side of listening so much is the heat my Aleph-J generates. I'm not ready financially to head down the nCore path.
                                                              I installed air-condition in my basement :-)
                                                              -TEK

Comment

• BobEllis
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Dec 2005

It's a LOT less expensive to go nCore, especially if you put in AC that is as quiet as a system with these speakers deserve. There are times I can hear my DVR's hard drive from 4 meters away. Classical music just begs for the DVR to be unplugged.

Comment

• dar47
                                                                  • Nov 2008

Thanks guys, Ron glad you enjoying the M51 and just tell yourself everything under $5000. is mostly just a side step so your good to go for awhile.:W I am pretty content sitting listening, I used to listen for an hour or while I was working out in the basement and then watch a movie now not much tv just music then bed.

Bob I agree when my setup was in the treated basement I used turn the basement refrigerator off that was 35' behind me and got anode when the furnace with central air would click in. Some times I would forget I turn the frig off, that cost me a few dollars to replace what was in the freezer, haha. It is nice when you get an amp you can just forget a bought.

Comment

• TEK
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Oct 2002

I have a projector as well, and 3 subs, and a processor, and a 5 channel A/B amp as well as two ncore mono amps. And myself and visitors - so I concluded that AC was the way to go.
                                                                    Happy for it now. It's to stupid to use all that money for a nice listening/cinema room, and then beeing uncomfortable because it's to hot in there...
                                                                    -TEK

Comment

• BobEllis
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Dec 2005

Agreed, TEK. You just need to spend the extra to make sure that the AC is quiet. Oversized fiberglass ducts, a couple of good bends to block off the blower and very large diffusers to keep the airspeed low. All of this is much easier to pull off in the construction phase. I'm guessing that all of that came so naturally to you that it didn't cross your mind to mention it or sound dampening walls.

I had a house once that had aluminum ducts. The builder bragged about their durability. The system was so poorly designed that passing gas in the master bath was audible downstairs in the kitchen through the ducts. We took to turning the blower on when we had guests.

Comment

• TEK
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Oct 2002

I actually has two systems. First there is the ventilation for the house. As the room is sound proof there is both air in and air out. As heating is a big cost in Norway the air going out of the house is going trough a heat exchanger and is used to heat up the new air going into the house. It claims over 80% efficient in heat recycling.
                                                                        And yes, there are sound dampening channels before all air intakes all over the house.
                                                                        Tgat system does however only supply fresh air - it is not used for cooling.
                                                                        For cooling I have a separate unit, a Mitshibishi Kirigamine Hara, that can be used for both heating and coolin. U'm using it mostly for cooling ;-)
                                                                        On silent mode it makes quite a bit less noise than the projector.
                                                                        -TEK

Comment

• Horio
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Sep 2014

A bit OT but thought I'd share since it means I'm getting close to starting my Ardent build. Basically finished up my work bench finally over the weekend. It's a Paulk style torsion box bench with a few modifications. I've got the woodpeckers PRL-V2 router lift in there and have their router fence on the way. Once I've finished Paulk's cross cut jig, this bench will make cutting down sheet goods super easy and fast.

I also swung by my favorite woodworking store (Woodcrafter's in Portland OR) and picked up a new router!

Image not available

Image not available

Image not available

Last edited by theSven; 24 May 2023, 18:20 Wednesday. Reason: Remove broken image links

Comment

• scottvalentin
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2015
                                                                            • 175

That is a very well done workbench and I can only imagine how good that router works!
                                                                            Nice job! Looking forward to seeing some Ardent sawdust!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                                                              • Aug 2000
                                                                              • 15261

Nicely done- I'm almost jealous, in spite of my beech bench from Rockler!
                                                                              the AudioWorx
                                                                              Natalie P
                                                                              M8ta
                                                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                                                              Modula MT XE
                                                                              Modula Xtreme
                                                                              Isiris
                                                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                              Minerva Monitor
                                                                              Calliope
                                                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                              Obi-Wan
                                                                              Modula PWB
                                                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                                Moderator
                                                                                • Dec 2006
                                                                                • 1879

Very nice and of course one has to love the Festool.

WEBSITE: http://www.smjaudio.com/

Comment

• Renron
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jan 2008
                                                                                  • 749

Horio,
                                                                                  Off topic or not, that is a work of art. Excellent build. It's easy to see how much thought you put into it's design and construction, well done! Beautiful sawhorses too. Put a light coat of Johnsons's paste wax on the table and glue drips will pop right off without damaging the beautiful finish you've created. Works well on the table saw too, wood just glides smoothly, does not effect painting later.
                                                                                  Attached Files
                                                                                  Ardent TS

Comment

• Horio
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Sep 2014
                                                                                    • 158

Thanks everyone for the very kind comments. I'm definitely looking forward to using this bench for my Ardent build. The big 4 ft by 8 ft surface with the Festool track saw is a fantastic setup for cutting down big sheets. The holes are great for clamping and for using stops. It's a great bench which breaks down quickly for storage, but its still no substitute for a heavy wood bench with a thick top and vises for some tasks. Maybe someday I'll build a Roubo bench and then I'll be set.

Ron, I'm definitely no expert of finishes and I'll look into your Johnson Paste Wax recommendation. I've used linseed oil on all the other surfaces, but the top and outside faces have yet to receive any finish. Would I apply a coat of linseed oil first or do I need to place the paste wax directly on the wood? I love the idea of being able to easily clean up drips.

Thanks!

Comment

• Renron
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jan 2008
                                                                                      • 749

Horio,
                                                                                      Try out just the wax on a small portion or some scrap to see if you like it. No oil first the wax won't stick to preoiled wood. Sawdust won't stick to the waxed surface either like it would to an oiled wood. Use just enough to fill the pores, you don't want to build a finish with the wax. Beautiful table, good thinking about break-down / storage later too.
                                                                                      Ron
                                                                                      Ardent TS

Comment

• TEK
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Oct 2002
                                                                                        • 1670

Reton, that wax is not easy available in Norway.
                                                                                        Might any of these do tje same use? http://www.liberon.co.uk/furniture-a...Q9NDUmfA%3D%3D
                                                                                        -TEK

Comment

• Horio
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2014
                                                                                          • 158

Horio,
                                                                                          Try out just the wax on a small portion or some scrap to see if you like it. No oil first the wax won't stick to preoiled wood. Sawdust won't stick to the waxed surface either like it would to an oiled wood. Use just enough to fill the pores, you don't want to build a finish with the wax. Beautiful table, good thinking about break-down / storage later too.
                                                                                          Ron
                                                                                          Just ordered a can of the recommended paste wax. I'll give it a shot this weekend and see how it turns out.

Comment

• Renron
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Jan 2008
                                                                                            • 749

TEK,
                                                                                            I looked at both MSDS (material safety data sheets) to compare the chemical lists, however, because required data differs so greatly between our countries I cannot determine if there are similar properties between the two wax / polishes. Sorry.
                                                                                            P.M. Sent.

Horio, You'll like it. Just like paint, many thin coats are better than one thick coat. Let them dry completely between coats, give it a light buff then re-wax. I wax my tablesaw guides with it and the bottom and rails of my cuttoff sled, slicker than snot. Also the fence to tablesaw contact areas. Smooooooooth! Sawdust blows right off.
                                                                                            Ron
                                                                                            Ardent TS

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            😀
                                                                                            😂
                                                                                            🥰
                                                                                            😘
                                                                                            🤢
                                                                                            😎
                                                                                            😞
                                                                                            😡
                                                                                            👍
                                                                                            👎
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"