X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Mono block build thread- using GhentAudio chassis

The new Ghent Audio chassis I just ordered arrived yesterday, so it's time to start a thread about construction of mono blocks using them and the SMPS1200A700 power supplies. Won't be a lot of action for a while, as I'll have a lot of electrical work to do, but I will get them put together with the power supply and do an initial test with the OEM adapter just to make sure everything else is copacetic.

I'll also be using the APx-555 to benchmark the performance once that gets here- the Northern CA sales rep says to expect 2-3 weeks, so I'm hoping by the beginning of February.

Curiously, the cases I got were all silver, as expected; but at this time, they only list black cases with choice of either silver or black front panel. this makes some sense as it lowers the cost and complexity of supporting silver as an option, and there might be some thermal benefit to a black case (unless it's in the sunlight!)

I also got the extra cable sets for the AC power receptacle wiring and the LED unit; sent a set on to Stephen Manning, to whom I'd sent a pair of black cases and DIY NC400 + SMPS600 to assemble. It could be very useful having a minion, even if he is on the East Coast!

And, in an act of sheer irresponsibity yesterday, I ordered a new guitar.... From the Dean Zelinsky private label company. More on that later, but it looks great, and demo's show that in single pole mode, the front pickup gives an incredibly good Stratocaster tone- nails one of my favorite Hendrix sounds, based on a YouTube demo. And the piezo pickup in the bridge does more than a passably fair imitation of an acoustic.

Click image for larger version  Name:	23709883693_e3e258763c_h.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.2 KB ID:	952225

Click image for larger version  Name:	24254200771_4018c448f2_h.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.1 KB ID:	952226

Now, who worries about Hendrix sounds these days? That certainly dates me....
    Last edited by theSven; 21 April 2024, 02:59 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken url tag
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • TEK
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Looking forward to this. If I understand you correctly you will just start out doing the same build as I have done but in the Ghent chassie.
    As you will not have to make any holes you actually should have a quite easy build. There are a cople of details that I will be interested to see how you solves.
    - I guess you will go with no safty earth
    - The grounding of the signal cable. I have to say that I'm not quite getting why you first shall ground the external cables input (pin 1) at one location and then in addition to that ground the screen for the internal wirering at a separate location (both at the plug). Why not just connect the screens and let it go all the way to the board? Anyway, you told about using a resitor and cap there. Will be interesting to see the exact type/value and how you mount it.

When you are moutning this. It would be nice if you could do the following test when the SMPS is connected to the adaptor board and the NC500 is connected to the adaptor board, but before ground, signal input and speaker terminals is connected.
    1) Power up the amp and let it stand on for a longer periode of time (1/2 hour for example)
    2) Power it down, wait 10 seconds and power it up again.
    As mentioned in my build it would not power up the second time. I was able to reproduce this with two differet amp modules. However, the time the Amp had to be on befor this happened was different from the first to the second. And after connecting everything this is no longer an issue - wich is kindof odd.

Congrats with your new guitar btw :-) Looks very, very nice!
    -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"