X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cameronthorne
    • Sep 2006

DIY electronics chassis?

I will be building some active crossovers and DIY power amps on a budget...

I know that most people use aluminum project boxes for housing active crossovers and power amplifiers, etc. While I would like to get some nice aluminum enclosures, and probably will some day, is there any compelling reason not to simply use wood for these enclosures instead? What are the safety or grounding concerns :storm: with a cheap/simple DIY wood enclosure vs. a $100 Hammond chassis? I would of course ensure adequate ventilation in either case.

-- Cameron
  • JoshK
    • Mar 2005

Its done quite often. You still should use an earth ground, but tied to a star point instead of the chassis. Then again you can use a plate on top and wood sides and tie the earth to the plate adding some protection for the case. But wood isn't conductive so it in itself is a safety measure.

Comment

• Amphiprion
      • Apr 2006

Lack of EMI/RFI sheilding is one downside. Thermal issues a slight downside. Cheap + beautiful = major upsides.

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

I've done both. Stay away from BUD cases unless you know *exactly* what it is. Not bad at all, but ugly. To my good/bad fortune, the rather complex pre-amp I built into a BUD case gets that "too hot electronics" smell so I'm not sure what to do with it. The smell goes away after it heats up all the way and it sounds superb. So, probably fix it. It's got a sweet relay attenuator and the ability to switch balanced sources (2 balanced, 2 single-ended inputs). But in the mean time I'm doing one in a cute little 2x6.5x8 Hammond case that's very very nice looking. Will simply be 4 single-ended inputs. And for now a cheap carbon pot.

Both output balanced.

I have some wood cases. Very pretty. But they take a different workshop to make, so ironically are harder for me to make right now.

By the way, you know about Par-Metal right?

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Amphiprion
          • Apr 2006

cjd and I both have the same love for those extruded Hammond chassis Too small for a power amp I would think (maybe you could do a mono chip amp or something) but great for preamps, DAC's, etc. Cooling on them is one thing I haven't figured out, the one I used was for a single board computer enclosure and I just put a 40mm fan on the end panel (NOT audio-quiet).

They come in a variety of sizes and the largest (that cjd mentioned) is only ~$25 and is quite nice, not just for the price either. You can find the whole line here:

They are also available black anodized, and with black plastic end panels in lieu of the metal ones (only black plastic though on either the natural or black cases).

Digikey and Newark both carry them I think, with Newark having a larger variety IIRC.

Comment

• JoshK
            • Mar 2005

Other nice sources of prefab cases...

Electronic instrument enclosures. MicroPak enclosures. GrayBox enclosures. Customization available. Contact us today.

Manufacturer of commercial and residential windows and doors for replacement and new construction.

Since 1975, Sescom has been the leader in professional audio cables, converters, extenders and more. We serve the television production, rental, live events, stage and sound, sports, educational, and government markets due to our competitive pricing and dedication to quality production.

www.atiresearch-anodized.com (I've ordered from them before, kinda a pain, but nice chassis)
            Protocase builds custom electronic enclosures and custom rackmounts, in 2-3 days, with no minimum order. Enclosures are fully finished, powdercoated, silkscreened, and in your choice of hardware. Use our free advanced enclosure design tools to save time and money.

http://www.hexateq-av.com/standard_enclosures.html (super nice but expensive)

heatsinks:
            Heatsinks for Electronics and Amplifiers. Manufacturers of high quality extruded aluminium (aluminum) heatsinks. Heat sinks for electronics.

Then there is making plates with wood sides, vintage style, that a lot of us tube builders do.
            https://www.surfasonline.com/products/6427.cfm (industrial thick aluminum cake pans)
            www.onlinemetals.com (got lots of plates from them)
            hammond makes bottom plates for their cheap chassis

Well those are just the ones I could remember easily and doesn't include a host of chinese/taiwanese DIY sites that you can get cases from or wood enclosure cases sites.

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Suggest you take a look at Par-Metal.

Par-Metal

Click image for larger version

Name:	20s01.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	950072

Several styles of aluminum chasis, built to order finishes, many sizes available of each style, rather reasonable prices, considering quality (good construction- captive PEM nuts, not sheet metal screws in aluminum products).
              Last edited by theSven; 05 December 2023, 18:11 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JoshK
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Amphiprion
                Lack of EMI/RFI sheilding is one downside. Thermal issues a slight downside. Cheap + beautiful = major upsides.
                There are a number of easy ways to circumvent these issues, like routing out venting in the cases to allow air flow. I've seen an all wood case that was a thing of beauty and had a nice pattern cut out of it with a router and then rounded over the edges. I've also seen people line their wood cases with copper foil or thin sheets for EMI protection. There are expensive shielding sheets you can use too.

For copper sheets of decent thickness, I have gotten old copper tiles off ebay dirt cheap. These can be polished up nice with some steel wool and some armstrong, then lacquer it to keep the nice finish.

Comment

• chasw98
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

If you want to save some money right now and put a nicer case on later, go to the flea market and find an old used stereo receiver with the appropriate size face to it. Most times you can dissassemble the receiver, gut it, and take the faceplate off and replace it with a blank rack panel for under $30 total.

Chuck

Comment

• cameronthorne
                    • Sep 2006

Wow. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I was aware of Par-Metal and some of the sites that Josh linked to, but I'll look through the rest. Par-Metal and Hammond seem to be in the same ballpark price-wise. Is Par-Metal really that much better? I almost prefer the looks on the Hammond better.

Looks like my options (including cheap wood for now) are a lot more numerous than I thought. Thanks.

-- Cameron

Comment

• ---k---
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by JoshK
                      Other nice sources of prefab cases...

Electronic instrument enclosures. MicroPak enclosures. GrayBox enclosures. Customization available. Contact us today.

Manufacturer of commercial and residential windows and doors for replacement and new construction.

Since 1975, Sescom has been the leader in professional audio cables, converters, extenders and more. We serve the television production, rental, live events, stage and sound, sports, educational, and government markets due to our competitive pricing and dedication to quality production.

www.atiresearch-anodized.com (I've ordered from them before, kinda a pain, but nice chassis)
                      Protocase builds custom electronic enclosures and custom rackmounts, in 2-3 days, with no minimum order. Enclosures are fully finished, powdercoated, silkscreened, and in your choice of hardware. Use our free advanced enclosure design tools to save time and money.

http://www.hexateq-av.com/standard_enclosures.html (super nice but expensive)

heatsinks:
                      Heatsinks for Electronics and Amplifiers. Manufacturers of high quality extruded aluminium (aluminum) heatsinks. Heat sinks for electronics.

Then there is making plates with wood sides, vintage style, that a lot of us tube builders do.
                      https://www.surfasonline.com/products/6427.cfm (industrial thick aluminum cake pans)
                      www.onlinemetals.com (got lots of plates from them)
                      hammond makes bottom plates for their cheap chassis

Well those are just the ones I could remember easily and doesn't include a host of chinese/taiwanese DIY sites that you can get cases from or wood enclosure cases sites.
                      Josh,
                      Thanks

Thomas,
                      That looks like a good addition to the list of Referance Websites Sticky.
                      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• cameronthorne
                        • Sep 2006

Here is one more that I've seen recommended as well:

And some ideas for screening:

This website is for sale! ares-server.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, ares-server.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

• cameronthorne
                          • Sep 2006

What do you all use for hole punching the back panels for connectors on these nicer chassis? Those Greenlee punches are spendy! Most step drills and nibblers don't seem to be rated for larger gauge aluminum as is used in some of these links. So what do you use? What about squarish holes for IEC power connectors, etc?

If I wanted to borrow a few Greenlee punches, what sort of places should I look at in the yellow pages for a local metalworking shop that might have that sort of thing on hand?

You guys are so much help! Thanks.

-- Cameron

Comment

• JoshK
                            • Mar 2005

I use drill bits in my drill press from here. I sometimes use step drill bits too, but I find them a pain. Aluminum is soft, so even if it is thick, just go slow and you'll be fine. I recommend you get a deburrer to make the holes look nice after.

Since I am into DIY, I don't use IECs. I use powercon connectors from Neutrik. They are really nice to use and you can drill round holes! Reterminating power cords with powercon connectors is a few minute job at most. I also like that they lock into place.

Comment

• Amphiprion
                              • Apr 2006

We have DB-9 and DB-15 metal punches here at work. You wouldn't believe what those cost (>$400 each).

Actually you might believe that, I think they are in fact Greenlee brand. Not sure...

For power cord connectors, I holler at one of the system integration guys and have him mill me out a square hole on the milling machine.... I too need a solution so I can do that on my own.

Comment

• chasw98
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by cameronthorne
                                What do you all use for hole punching the back panels for connectors on these nicer chassis?
                                -- Cameron
                                Go to a local machine shop with a mill and see what it would cost to have them cut out to spec. Should not be too much. We have several milling machines here at work and they work real well for any work like that.

Comment

• cameronthorne
                                  • Sep 2006

Yeah, a few quality hole saws and and a small, used drill press would probably cost less together than just two Greenlee punches. Even the small round ones I have seen are $40ish each. Less work deburring with a punch, but that's just elbow grease. I was thinking about SpeakOn connectors instead of binding posts already, so PowerCon would fit right in.

Comment

• JoshK
                                    • Mar 2005

I just use one of these for example to debur. Cheap and effective. Hard to make work with steel, but aluminum is soft and easy.

My first drill press was this one. I think I got it on sale for $80. Worked well for a while. It is nicely made and heavy, but still small. The limiting factor was spindle to pole clearance making it limited to how far into a piece you could drill. I then found a big floor standing rigid drill press cheap on craigslist and jumped on it.

I use my drill press a lot! Almost as much as my tablesaw, but then I do a lot of electronic projects.

Comment

• cameronthorne
                                      • Sep 2006

Par-Metal looks quite reasonable. Do you guys usually install additional panels in the bottom of the chassis to mount PCBs to, or simply use standoffs directly on the bottom panel?

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                        • Apr 2006

Standoffs direct to the bottom panel for me.

Comment

• spasticteapot
                                          • Mar 2007

I have some metalworking and jewler's experience, and bodged together a few quickes a while back for the heck of it.

All you really need is some big sheets of sheet copper (20ga or so works nicely), and rivets - the trick is to fold the copper into the shape of the box, and rivet it together.

It's actually much easier than it sounds, and with a little work, you can have some absolutely gorgeous enclosures.

Comment

• JoshK
                                            • Mar 2005

That is a cool idea. My wife is a former jewelery designer and has a pinchant to sculp with metal. She is always saying that she will buy her tools to start up again if I stop spending on audio and then she'll show me how to make cool looking stuff for my amps.

Comment

• spasticteapot
                                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by JoshK
                                              That is a cool idea. My wife is a former jewelery designer and has a pinchant to sculp with metal. She is always saying that she will buy her tools to start up again if I stop spending on audio and then she'll show me how to make cool looking stuff for my amps.
                                              Sell some stuff, buy her tools. Trust me on this one.

As a side note, I can comment that jewler's files (which are just really tiny files) and a jewler's saw (essentially a tiny coping saw - you can get 'em for $20 at stores that sell Warhammer accessories) can do a very nice job if you're careful. While not as easy as a good milling machine or laser cutter, they also cost a lot less.

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"