X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Rebuilding the Transcendent Sound Balanced Power Supply

For those that haven't seen the original thread about the construction of this power supply HERE'S a link to that thread.

After a month of living with the stock unit, I decided it was time to upgrade.

First to go was the single residential grade receptacle and the silly outlet strip. The replacement would be a pair of hospital grade outlets, with differential noise filter caps.

Since the stock chassis was originally destined to begin life as a pre-amp, the rear panel was littered with holes. Cutting more holes in the panel wasn't a good idea, unless something could be done to stiffen the chassis.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Back2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	948311

I headed over to my local surplus store and dug around in their scrap aluminum bin. An appropriate piece of metal was purchased for the princely sum of $.85. I trimmed it to size, then cut rectangular openings for a pair of dual outlets. It was pop-riveted to the rear of the chassis.

Those with Broadband can click HERE for the article

Name:	NewOutsidecutouts.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	948312

Name:	NewInsideCutouts.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	948313

Next I prepared the outlets for their new home with the addition of differential noise filter caps. And by removing the jumpers that bridge the individual outlets.

Name:	IndividualOutlets.jpg
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	948314

To be continued.........
    Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 18:05 Thursday. Reason: Update image location

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Here's a close-up shot of the new back panel. Note that my claim to fame isn't as a machinist. So the plan all along was to use standard outlet covers for the receptacles. Fortunately for me they hide a myrid of sins ....

As one can see, there's plenty of room inside the chassis for the added receptacles and the differential filter caps.

Article Link

Name:	PanelCloseUp.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	948315

Name:	TestFitOutside.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	948316

Name:	TestFitInside.jpg
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	948317

Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 18:08 Thursday. Reason: Update image location

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I finally got my butt in gear to complete the rebuilding of this unit. HERE's a link to the website with lots of pics and more info.

Before:

Name:	OpenTop.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	948318

After

Name:	UpdatedTop.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	948319
      Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 18:11 Thursday. Reason: Update image location

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Hank
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2002

Thomas, you dog! Just kidding - no apologies needed for the "cosmetic" work - hey, it's a power cleaner after all. Hmmm...I like that description - go ahead and trademark it. Anyway, excellent job as usual - I wouldn't expect less from you :T

Comment

• Evil Twin
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Excellent work as usual... perhaps a cluster of these would tame the power glitches I'm currently seeing in the primary power feed for equatorial ring turbo laser battery?
          DFAL
          Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"