New 'semi' DIY power conditioning project.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mazurek
    • Mar 2006

I have a question about balancing power supplies. Doesn't it make all the fuses oversized by 2. At least the way I have my stuff built, I include a fuse on the Hot line from the wall socket. It seems like if current sources sink to ground, only half the current will flow through the hot when it becomes balanced.

I am mainly asking this question because I would like to fix my fusing if I have made an egregious error.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I'm not a IEEE nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn Express, but here's my best guess.....

If the BP unit is plugged into the wall, it's seeing +120/-0.

And after the line is balanced we're still dealing with 120. So I'd use the same size fuses for BP as used for non-BP

Click image for larger version

Name:	ws2.gif
Views:	11
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	946409
      Last edited by theSven; 29 July 2023, 21:17 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• dyazdani
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
        I'm not a IEEE nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn Express, but here's my best guess.....
        :roflmao: BTW, I agree on the fuse size...but I'm in the same situation as you (above).
        Danish

Comment

• marc g
          • May 2006

Thomas, I have been following these projects and I have two questions for you.
          Does the Monster unit deliver different or better filtering than your home brew units? Is there any advantage to using the Monster 3500 with a isolation transformer vs. your all in one balanced power project ?

Have you looked at the commercial $15 full depth simple rackmount power strips / centers for inclusion of your RFI filters, caps and MOV ? I think thay might all fit in a one rack mount space enclosure and require a lot less work than your mother of all DIY balanced power units plus the remote transformer.

I have been looking for a new rack case large enough to fit everything in but those darn things are expensive new. So I'm also looking at other products that can be made into a power unit. Do you have any suggestions ?

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

The Monster or the Belkin PF60 (which is better and cheaper than the larger Monster units) has superior filtration compared to the little EMI/RFI filters in my DIY balanced power units.

My suggestion would be to obtain a single BIG balance power tranny and plug one of the Belkin PF60's into it. Since the Equi=tech 'blem' "Q" tranny in a box are sold out, the Plitron tranny used in the Secrets of Home Theater DIY balanced power project is the only reasonably priced larger BP tranny currently available.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• chasw98
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
              Since the Equi=tech 'blem' "Q" tranny in a box are sold out, .
              There might be hope for the big units. I read this on the Equi=Tech site.

"BLOWOUT "Q" TYPE TRANSFORMER IN A BOX! (15 & 20 Amp) We have sold out of these items. 100s of them were snapped up in a few months by lucky customers who's timing was good, so we have decided to add this item to our inventory and keep the price close to the special clearance price. Please check back again very soon as we are currently setting up these discounted special transformers in a box as an item we will carry in our inventory on a permanent basis. For the do-it-yourselfer, there is no better way to take advantage of Equi=Tech's refined balanced power technology than these cost effective transformers."

It looks like they recognize the DIY market and are going to sell some raw product in the future.

Chuck

Comment

• marc g
                • May 2006

Couldn't wait for the company to get their act together so I pounced on a surplus (looks like 10A) medical transformer.

Here

I hope it will be able to run my front end and my poweramps. I may build in some more filtration if there is room or build some outboard in an elcheapo $20 power strip. I like that Belkin. pretty snazzy. Maybe I can get that one when I pay off the visa for the WTMW I'm building now.

I found a deal on Triplite 500w isolationtransformers in a box for $39 + $25 s/h.
                I got one to try on some small stuff like front ends, recorders and guitar amps. I will let you know if they work out well or not.

Any comments ?

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Don't know anything about either of those things.

I use a pair of dual 66 lb isolation trannys that are ganged to function as a single larger unit. They make minimal improvement in SQ. Adding BP in addition to the isolation units is quite an improvement.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• JimmyNeutron
                    • Mar 2006

HTS-5100:

Image not available

HTS-3500:

Image not available​

Just FYI.

Jimmy
                    Last edited by theSven; 29 July 2023, 21:20 Saturday. Reason: Remove broken image links
                    My website: www.jimmyneutron.org

Comment

• marc g
                      • May 2006

So have I made a mistake ? What is the difference between a balanced power and an isolation transformer ? Isn't the ground referenced between the two output legs for +/- 60v ? on each tranny ?

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Balanced power transformers are isolation transformers, but not all isolation transformers are balanced power devices.

Standard isolation transformers have been around for a long time. Balanced power was 'invented/created' around 1988 by Martin Glasband (Mr Equi=tech).

The items you bought are standard isolation transformers, not balanced power transformers.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• sdl2112
                          • Mar 2006

This thread has caught my attention as I have been EMI testing for my day job recently. I have not heard of Belkin products before but a quick Google search reveiled the attached picture, looks pretty nice. I thought of building my own but the cost adds up quickly. I like the idea of adding a BP transformer ahead of a MP or Belkin but wasn't sure if these units would work together. I think both monitor the ground and with 60V between neutral and ground I don't know if this is a problem, anyone tried it? Btw, the Belkin can be had for $225 from Amazon.

-Scott
                          Attached Files

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

The Belkin PF60 can be had for a lot less from http://www.provantage.com/belkin-ap4...2~7BELD011.htm

I plugged my PF60 into a 20 amp BPT device and everything works just fine. I hope that answers your question...:wink:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• sdl2112
                              • Mar 2006

Yes that answers my question, thanks. I am just curious how these devices detect if the ground is "correct". I assumed voltage between ground and neutral may cause problems.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Balanced power has a normal grounding scheme.

The PF60 readout on my test setup reads the voltage at 118.7VAC and reports no ground irregularities.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"