X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kevinm
    • Jun 2013

Mission Possible Woodshop Speakers: The Carritas

Howdy all,

Nothing too crazy compared to all the beautiful builds happening right now (Tek's Ardent's, cough* cough*), but I figured I would share because the back story behind them is really cool and I have been very impressed with them.

The speakers are a super-budget Jeff Bagby design. I was looking for some speakers to install in the woodshed I was building out of my covered 3rd garage stall. I had to have some tunes while I built the woodshop. Woodshop build costs + the environment meant something inexpensive and durable.

I stumbled across the Carritas on a tech talk thread and got suckered by the good cause. From Meniscus' site:

Description

Caritas Speaker Kit

The name Caritas is Latin for Charity. The charity is community radio station, WYCE. Thus, what we have for you is an entry level speak kit that gives two ways.

This kit fulfills a good number of needs, but before I expand in more detail, I'd like to tell you the story behind this kit.

The Premise I'm a huge fan of our local, community radio station and give faithfully during the twice yearly funds driver, but wanted to do more. Brewing in the back of my mind for the past several years was an entry level kit in which part of the proceeds would give by to the station. I knew the kit had to be inexpensive to get most builders involved and that parts had to be decent as well.

The Parts I knew the only was this would work is if I could find some quality units on the surplus market. The tweeters came first and turned out to be an easy find. The BC25TG-15 is a respected, low cost unit from Vifa/Peerless. The quirk that made this a surplus unit was that these are magnetically shielded. With CRT's extinct, the shielded driver became expendable.

The woofer tuned out to be harder to find than I ever thought. I sifted through countless units that came on the market, either find them un usable for the cabinet size targeted, the wrong impedance, or the response so bad that crossover design would be a nightmare.

I made a call to David Stephens at SB Acoustics to see if perhaps that had anything - a mistake, overrun, or cancelation. After hearing my story, David said "what do you need, we'll make it for you" SB was kind with the price too. A made to order woofer at surplus price!

Having all the drivers on hand we set out to design the network. When Jeff Bagby heard the story he wanted to be part of the process, so he chipped in and came up with a pretty simple design that works very well and keeps the parts cost low.

Here's what it will do for you. I wanted this kit to fulfill the needs of many.

The first time kit buyer wants to start with something safe and inexpensive. I know you're a bit apprehensive about spending a lot of time and hard earned money on a project that you might not be sure on the outcome.

The seasoned builder looks for that go-to kit for friends and relatives. The build is easy and the recipient is always grateful to a custom system that is hard to come by at a retail level these days. The time working on a project like this with a Son or Grand Daughter is priceless.

The school project is another great idea. We've had a number of Physics and shop teachers offer their students the kit ideas as a senior class project.

The side benefit. I bet you almost forgot. A good portion of what you pay for this kit goes to WYCE. You did something nice and didn't feel a thing!

Now is the time that I go into great detail on how great a station WYCE is and how it can benefit you as well, but I won't.
    So with the speakers picked out, time to get to work.

Gluing the port to the back baffle

Click image for larger version

Name:	2lZSGlT.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	935278

Instead of having the PVC pipe exit the wood, I glued it to the back and then drilled a hole and flush trimmed (lesson learned from a previous build

Name:	jbtt4jT.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	935279

Now onto the the front baffle - quick shot of the driver recesses

Name:	Bnrkv3C.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	935280

Test fit

Name:	QmE55Bx.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	935281

Gluing the sides/top/bottom together

Name:	RdNG2Uu.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	935282

Now baffles

Name:	9FroXi6.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	935283

Flush trimmed and pretty. Now the port makes more sense

Name:	hS6WmnE.jpg?1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	935284

Finished! (Painted with truck bed liner Spray Can from Home Depot)

Name:	SUOXZw3.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	935285

Hung up in their final resting place (apologize for the bad lighting, that light ruins every angle imaginable)

Name:	P0eCoCA.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	935286

These are what I used for mounts.
    http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082804&p_id=68 39&seq=1&format=2

Setup
    I have them powered off of the Zone 2 output of my Emotiva UMC-200. 2 spare channels on my XPA-5 are providing the amplification. My source is an AppleTV with an SPDIF to analog converter so that the UMC-200 can play a digital source on the TV and I can stream Spotify through the Apple TV to Zone 2. I ran wires from the amp to the garage and hung the speakers from the ceiling.

I also added an in-wall iPad mount. Additionally, the HT setup is run off of the Harmony new Ultimate Home remote, so from the iPad I can trigger on the system, launch Spotify and start streaming. It is AMAZING.

Listening impressions
    I only got to listen to them for a little while before I put them up, but I was really impressed. I don't have that much experience with budget friendly 2 ways, but I do listen to a pair of Noobsters every night in addition to some basic experience with commercial offerings.

I will say that I would never have guessed the 88$ price of these guys. They really hold their weight and very enjoyable to listen to. Mr. Bagby has excellent voicing if this design is any indication. The vocals are very clear, highs articulate and bass clean. When pushed hard, they hold together well. Considering the drivers, they aren't going to replace your high end main system, but they make you grin like a big guber when you listen to them and remember their price - the ratio just isn't right. They sounded so good, I've already gotten a few of my friends/family to pull the trigger.

Definitely recommended.
    Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 15:40 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

Looks great. Amazing how good a rattle can finish can look ... in the hands of the experienced.

I think I've seen the speaker name before, but hadn't see the story or price. Very nice. You're not going to get much more budget than that.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• kevinm
      • Jun 2013

Thanks, K. The nice part about truck bed liner is it sprays very easily and hides a rough carpenter's mistakes

Comment

• Hank
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2002

Good work - we all need decent garage/shop speakers!

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

It's easy to build great speakers when you can throw tons of money at it- doing a good job on a tight budget is another matter! Nice build- I take it they're hanging from the ceiling, so the port has some room to breathe? It's not easy to tell from the picture.

Now and then I hear about a rare commercial speaker that tries to work that magic, like the new $229 per pair B5 bookshelf designed by Andrew Jones (formerly of Pioneer, and TAD) for Elac, who otherwise have some decidedly upscale priced systems. They have an "upscale" version of that, the B6, with more bottom end, for a fairly paltry $279 per pair. No nice wood finish, just some well engineered drivers and crossover.

Name:	ela_box_609_komplett_fronta.png
Views:	60
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	935287
          Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 16:01 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

Jon,
            You should buy a pair and let us know what you think. I've seen the rave reviews and seen a few people at PE Tech Talk give them a big "Meh" after hearinng them at a show.
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

That would be interesting- measure them, too. Distortion as well as SPL and polar response. I'll look int the availability.
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Obi-Wan
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Some more comments I ran across- from Chris Connaker. I tend to trust his opinions a bit more than anyone on Tech Talk, but what do I know....

After visiting Auralic I headed to the ELAC room to view Andrew Jone’s new $229 loudspeakers. Andrew Jones was THE guy at TAD Labs for 17 years before leaving the company to join ELAC about three months ago. Andrew’s first project for ELAC is this new very inexpensive speaker. Paired with inexpensive cabling and an all in one integrated form Bel Canto, the new ELAC speaker sound wonderful. In fact this may have been my favorite demo of the show thus far. Mastering Engineer Paul Stubblebine was sitting behind me during the demo and noticed a few things the speakers were struggling with, but overall he enjoyed them very much as well. Andrew acknowledged the little issues Paul heard during playback and assured us that the speaker is still in the prototype stage. Without the ears of a Mastering Engineer, listening to familiar recordings he may have worked on, I doubt most consumers would ever notice the tradeoffs this inexpensive speaker has compared to one many times the cost. This is a must hear demonstration for all show goers. Plus, Andrew may be the nicest guy in high end audio, or at least tied for first, so stopping to say hi won’t hurt one bit.
                Something to possibly keep in mind, is that relative to many commercial and DIY speakers, a speaker that is really neutral will be fairly highly valued by a sophisticated critical listener, but may not impress others at a short listen, particularly depending on associated equipment and program material. It shouldn't do anything to draw attention to itself, other than let the program through as naturally as possible...

I doubt that I'd normally be inclined to buy something like this for myself- heck, usually I'd do something like the Modula XT or a similar design using the Seas DXT tweeter, and any number of 6-1/2" to 8" woofers.
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Obi-Wan
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• fish fingers
                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                  Now and then I hear about a rare commercial speaker that tries to work that magic, like the new $229 per pair B5 bookshelf designed by Andrew Jones (formerly of Pioneer, and TAD) for Elac, who otherwise have some decidedly upscale priced systems. They have an "upscale" version of that, the B6, with more bottom end, for a fairly paltry $279 per pair. No nice wood finish, just some well engineered drivers and crossover.
                  stunning looking speakers for the price. I'm guessing that flat section /dustcap gives a really smooth upper mid/ lower treble response, like the small Faitalpro's
                  Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 16:01 Tuesday. Reason: Remove image link

Comment

• 5th element
                    Supreme Being Moderator
                    • Sep 2009

I saw those speakers too over at stereophile and thought they looked rather impressive for the money. What looks like a fibreglass cone should make a driver that is very easy to work with.
                    What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
                    5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
                    Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Drivers were designed by Andrew Jones, and the mid woofers are some kind of woven aramid polymer, so I bet they're very well behaved, making the crossover easier and less expensive.

BTW, for those not aware, ELAC's normal schtick is some rather pricey speakers... I doubt they would want to sully the brand image with anything less than a top performer for the money.
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Obi-Wan
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"