X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Landspeeder
    • Feb 2008

Overnight Sensations MT

Amp - Modded Lepai LP-2020A+

1 Coat of 50/50 100% Tung/Pure Turpentine. Dry for 1.5 weeks. A dozen coats of Dewaxed Shellac. Paste Wax Finish

Crossover Comparison of 2 OS MT builds:

Raw wood Finishing

MMMM... could this be the start of a wall French Cleat?
    Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 22:28 Friday. Reason: Update image tags
    My Builds: https://www.htguide.com/forum/showth...731#post593731
  • Landspeeder
    • Feb 2008

Crossover in Detail

Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 22:28 Friday. Reason: Update image tags

Comment

• Landspeeder
      • Feb 2008

Finished:

Don't worry, I have some backing foam and light fill
      Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 22:29 Friday. Reason: Update image tags

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Another great looking project.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• 5th element
          Supreme Being Moderator
          • Sep 2009

Yeah, I somehow missed these, those look great
          What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
          5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
          Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• Landspeeder
            • Feb 2008

Thanks K & 5th

Comment

• Hank
              Super Senior Member
              • Jul 2002

Nice!

Comment

• Philzeemon
                • Feb 2011

Landspeeder..

Your Overnight Sensations MT project looks great..I have a question on the PVC port..Did you do a mini roundover or a bevel on the porttube? If so, did you do it pre or post veneer? (When I built a set of MTM's, they were to be painted, so I did a 1/2" radius roundover "flare" on the ports, after finishing, the cabinet just sort of flowed into the port.)..I'm building 4 MT's in plywood that I plan to veneer, and am not sure how I might treat where the port tubes terminate? I would prefer a nice roundover but care not to see stripes of plywood and PVC under the veneer. The option I'm leaning towards would be a 1/8" radius roundover cut after veneering.,Your thoughts would be appreciated... Thanks, Philzeemon

Comment

• wkhanna
                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by 5th element
                  Yeah, I somehow missed these, those look great
                  Me too!

I love the color combo!
                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• ---k---
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Philzeemon
                    Landspeeder..

Your Overnight Sensations MT project looks great..I have a question on the PVC port..Did you do a mini roundover or a bevel on the porttube? If so, did you do it pre or post veneer? (When I built a set of MTM's, they were to be painted, so I did a 1/2" radius roundover "flare" on the ports, after finishing, the cabinet just sort of flowed into the port.)..I'm building 4 MT's in plywood that I plan to veneer, and am not sure how I might treat where the port tubes terminate? I would prefer a nice roundover but care not to see stripes of plywood and PVC under the veneer. The option I'm leaning towards would be a 1/8" radius roundover cut after veneering.,Your thoughts would be appreciated... Thanks, Philzeemon
                    With your limitations, you're probably best off using a flared port kit. You'll just have to model the box and figure out the correct length for the kit you pick.

If you're port is out the back, I'm not sure the problem with exposed plywood grain. You could always try and mask that area out and paint the exposed grain black. Spray the inside of the port while you're at it so it is all black.

BUT, Paul didn't specify a flared port. Yes, it is usually better. But, sometimes that last 1% improvement is only theory. You might be over thinking this. Again, modeling the box would probably reveal the answers.
                    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Landspeeder
                      • Feb 2008

Landspeeder..
                      I have a question on the PVC port..Did you do a mini roundover or a bevel on the porttube? If so, did you do it pre or post veneer?
                      Thanks Philzeemon. On this OS MT I have a front mounted pvc port. I cleaned the pvc very well and sanded the external area - then used a plastic welder epoxy in a slightly oversized hole. This was sanded flush with the plywood face. I veneered over the plywood and pvc - using heatlock veneer glue. After this was dry I used a flush trim bit, followed by a bevel - about 2/3 the width of the pvc wall thickness.

On another recent OS MT I used a rear mounted flared port. Playing the 2 side by side I noticed a few very minor sound quality differences - but I would never notice them any other way. I am very happy with the front mounted port.

Comment

• Landspeeder
                        • Feb 2008

thanks wkhanna

Comment

• Philzeemon
                          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Landspeeder
                          Thanks Philzeemon. On this OS MT I have a front mounted pvc port. I cleaned the pvc very well and sanded the external area - then used a plastic welder epoxy in a slightly oversized hole. This was sanded flush with the plywood face. I veneered over the plywood and pvc - using heatlock veneer glue. After this was dry I used a flush trim bit, followed by a bevel - about 2/3 the width of the pvc wall thickness.

On another recent OS MT I used a rear mounted flared port. Playing the 2 side by side I noticed a few very minor sound quality differences - but I would never notice them any other way. I am very happy with the front mounted port.
                          Landspeeder,

Thanks for your input...will probably go with the 1/8" roundover after veneer, thus having only one color break (white PVC to the veneer skin of the cabinet)..On this set the ports are facing forward..in plain view...(and I'm a details kind of guy,(often times more a curse than a blessing))

Comment

• Landspeeder
                            • Feb 2008

Landspeeder,

Thanks for your input...will probably go with the 1/8" roundover after veneer, thus having only one color break (white PVC to the veneer skin of the cabinet)..On this set the ports are facing forward..in plain view...(and I'm a details kind of guy,(often times more a curse than a blessing))
                            Before going 1/8 check the width of the PVC - you may need to back up the roundover just a little to keep it shy of the PVC width. You want a small ring of PVC glued to the veneer (Or you want to zero edge the cut... but that can be difficult). Also, I strongly suggest taking a few passes with the router... cutting a little deeper each time. This will help give the PVC a nice clean smooth finish.

Look closely at the picture. I did not use a roundover but rather a Chamfer bit. I believe I used at 22.5* bit. To do over I would use a 11.25* bit

Link me in your build log or finished pictures if you do not mind

Comment

• Landspeeder
                              • Feb 2008

Also... spend some time cleaning the INSIDE of the PVC with solvent BEFORE installing it. Acetone works well for this. I used some rags and forced it down ramrod style with a slightly smaller dowel rod.

Comment

• Philzeemon
                                • Feb 2011

Landspeeder...

Have been lurking in these forums (HTGuide, PE , AVS )for probably 6 yrs..Have absorbed volumes of info by just searching & reading, most info I desired I could find by just reading others posts. Only recently did I start communications, suppose the next step would be a build log... Thanks for your input and suggestion...Some of the most valuable info is in the details. Thanks, Phil

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"