Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RookieBuilder
    • Feb 2017

Overnight Sensation 'Matchstick' build thread

I haven't seen anything put together like this, so despite the simplicity a short build thread.

Preamble: Had some large B&W towers and needed something smaller. I ended up with a Pioneer soundbar that was rated really highly for its musicality, IMO it didn't come close to cutting it. I swapped in some smaller towers and they fixed the music problem but still ate up floor space. I looked for a retail solution for a smaller speaker to flank the TV with and couldn't find anything that was going to work. So onto an economic small speaker, as mentioned in a thread I started a few weeks back. I landed on the Overnight Sensations MTM mainly for cost and size. I have a pair of Statement II's in a different area and was easily convinced by my wife not to go overboard here.

Onto the build:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-20170823_205626 - Copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	872210
    Clamps!

Name:	IMG_20170826_153429 - Copy.jpg
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	872211
    Taking shape, tall, shallow, and skinny...

Name:	IMG_20170828_201749 - Copy.jpg
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	872212
    Some router work

Name:	IMG_20170902_151016 - Copy.jpg
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	872213
    Crossover mounted

Name:	IMG_20170902_172519 - Copy.jpg
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	872214
    Almost ready to glue the baffle
  • RookieBuilder
    • Feb 2017

Name:	IMG_20170904_140024 - Copy.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	863131
    Glued and ready for veneer

Name:	IMG_20170904_202139 - Copy.jpg
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	863132
    Walnut veneer, cutting holes with a utility knife. I understand why people veneer first and cut holes second

Name:	IMG_20170904_205351 - Copy.jpg
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	863133
    Wall bracket

Name:	IMG_20170904_211650 - Copy.jpg
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	863134
    Letting the oil cure

Name:	IMG_20170906_180654 - Copy.jpg
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	863135
    Finished! There are some flaws but I'll never tell

Comment

• Bill Schneider
      • Sep 2007

Those look nice. Good craftsmanship!
      My audio projects:
      http://www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

• Carl V
        • Apr 2005

yes, nice job.
        Have you considered
        Black Mounting screws
        or painting the screws?

Comment

• RookieBuilder
          • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Bill Schneider
          Those look nice. Good craftsmanship!
          Originally posted by Carl V
          yes, nice job.
          Have you considered
          Black Mounting screws
          or painting the screws?
          Thank you.
          Yes i actually have black hardware on order, I was unable to find any locally. The silver screws do take away from the overall look for sure.

Comment

• TEK
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Really nice build. You make it look shameless easy.
            Like "ready for veneering" and then suddenly beautifully veneer is applied. No bitching around about the hard corners, trouble getting the seems nice, the effort to locate and order the veneer or the considerations about what finish to apply

I built a set with similar complexity and for the same usage. Took me a 4-paged thread to describe that build ops:
            DIY (Do it yourself): Cabinetry, speakers, subwoofers, crossovers, measurements. Jon and Thomas have probably designed and built as many speakers as any non-professionals. Who are we kidding? They are pros, they just don't do it for a living. This has got to be one of the most advanced places on the net to talk speaker building, period.
            Last edited by theSven; 16 April 2023, 06:58 Sunday. Reason: Update htguide url
            -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• 5th element
              Supreme Being Moderator
              • Sep 2009

Oh, nice job, they fit in perfectly for your application!
              What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
              5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
              Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• RookieBuilder
                • Feb 2017

Originally posted by TEK
                Really nice build. You make it look shameless easy.
                Like "ready for veneering" and then suddenly beautifully veneer is applied. No bitching around about the hard corners, trouble getting the seems nice, the effort to locate and order the veneer or the considerations about what finish to apply

I built a set with similar complexity and for the same usage. Took me a 4-paged thread to describe that build ops:
                https://www.htguide.com/forum/showth...ght=Livingroom
                Yours look excellent, well done!

These ones came easy to me, I had the finished product in mind before I started. The Walnut veneer seemed like the right choice with the orange drivers. I think this being a relatively low effort, low cost project I wasn't to concerned with messing anything up because it wasn't going to be that bad to fix or redo. Also posting the finished project from the get go cuts out all of the fun decision making!

In contrast my Statement II project was a headache and about 9 months later is still not veneered... I wanted everything perfect on those. I even have some veneer that I am not 100% happy with so I haven't applied it. I keep shopping for something different, I have my eye on some nice but expensive veneer and then flip flop because of costs and the likely hood of another project taking their place in a year or two. In the mean time I get to look at unfinished plywood boxes everyday...
                Last edited by theSven; 16 April 2023, 06:59 Sunday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• TEK
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Yeah! That's more like it - oh the horrow of DIY :demon::sh::beer:
                  -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• doubleTrouble
                    • Mar 2016

RookieBuilder, good job, they look awesome.
                    I'm thinking to build those for the dining area, in some distant future. Could you please share your opinion how do they sound?

Comment

• RookieBuilder
                      • Feb 2017

Originally posted by doubleTrouble
                      RookieBuilder, good job, they look awesome.
                      I'm thinking to build those for the dining area, in some distant future. Could you please share your opinion how do they sound?
                      I am happy to say the project turned out as hoped, they give me a significant improvement in sound quality and volume over the sound bar and have a sleek mounting option that the towers didn't have.

A bit about my setup before I give my 'review'. I built the box at a slightly smaller volume than spec, I think about half a liter less. The boxes are about half the depth as specified and I wall mounted them, I believe the design has full baffle step compensation. The ports fire up and I have stuffed them with open cell foam to try and combat bloat in the lower end due to my mounting situation. I have a sealed 12" sub crossed at 80hz. I have them powered by an AV receiver and in this case use the room correction.

Perhaps less of a review and more my rambling thoughts; From a sonics standpoint they have a relaxed mid range by design, I EQ'd this out with the AV receiver. They are excellent when paired with a sub for my uses, background music, TV, and some moderate volume use (usually combined with 2-3 zones for this). They are a relatively easy project, very small, and cost effective speakers and as such they are fantastic. While not as good as either pair of towers they replaced they are no slouch. Compared to the towers they give up imaging/soundstage, sound 'boxier', and loose some presence in the room. Having said that remember the compromises cost, size and mounting location. By comparison the towers were substantially bigger and cost 3 and 5 times the total price. Over the soundbar they gained imaging/soundstage, sound much less boxy, and gain presence in the room, while costing 1/3 less and looking considerably better. The Overnight Sensations are something I actually want to listen to whereas the soundbar was utilitarian and never got turned on for music.

For me the intent was never critical listening, if it was I would look much closer at Bagby's Sopranos or a larger design. There is no escaping physics and despite being high value low cost parts, they are still low cost parts. They are an easy to listen to speaker that are a very good performer for the cost.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"