X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

Looks great. :T Are you going to put some foam on the inside by the woofers? Mine had 1" Sonic Barrier, a few inches back from the the front.

Waiting until spring will probably help a lot with letting them dry and avoiding glue lines. You could always wipe them down with some Minwax Wood Hardener to seal the wood and give it a little impact resistance until you paint them.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• joeybutts
      • Sep 2009

Thanks Ryan!

I asked Pete if I should add anymore 703 and he said that it looked like I had enough, and that was the main reason I was asking him was to put it on the walls right behind the woofers. I was mainly going to put a square of 703 right in the corners of the front of the vertical brace.

I was going to coat them in Resin and prep them like I did the Markk's. You think the hardener would be a better option?

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Yeah. It is hard to know how much foam is right.

I didn't see the resin you used on the Mark K's. They probably work similar enough. If you liked what you used before, I wouldn't change it.
        - Ryan

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

Those look sharp. Will finish up nicely!
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

They done yet? or is this project going to be years in the making? :P

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

I keep seeing threads where he is building other speakers. Just the other day, he started a build thread at PE for a pair of Overnight Sensations. I think he has started like 3 or 4 different other speaker projects since starting these. 8O
              - Ryan

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Lol, Well someone's got free time and money! Lucky SOB.....lol

Comment

• cjd
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Hdale85
                  Lol, Well someone's got free time and money! Lucky SOB.....lol
                  See, that's what I think when I see someone light up. I'd rather have those years of quality life, ability to breathe, and, of course, the cash...

Speakers? Doesn't seem like building more has anything to do with having free time or money, really... maybe you go out to eat a few times a week/month? Bam. There's a set of speakers.

Comment

• joeybutts
                    • Sep 2009

Hahahah.

cjd - It's taking some time for me to get all the crossover parts together (the remaining parts for these are coming at the end of this month). The finish work probably won't happen for a little while since I don't have the space and heat management to do them properly. My less than ambitious goal is to have these completely done by summer.

The last year and a half has been quite exciting and time consuming. The main reason I am hoping to have them done by the summer is I am currently in the market for a home. 8) So a lot of time will be involved in that. Plus I work out quite consistently, bowl one night a week, am a teacher, and of course.....need to spend some time with the recently acquired wife. :lol:

---k--- - It wasn't a build thread!! Just.....preparatory questioning. :W

Hdale85 - I wish!! I actually have been sitting on the woofers for the OS's for a long time and recently caught a deal on Fountek ribbons I couldn't pass up (BOGO!!!) I just bought the last inductor for my center channel build so I can get that cabinet finished up and ready for finish.

I don't want to start the finish work until I have the proper means to do it. I want to make sure I do it right the first time, and finish work always seems to be my Achilles heel. ops:

Comment

• joeybutts
                      • Sep 2009

Mid x-over all done and wires half done for the mid and tweeter.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CIMG2804.webp Views:	0 Size:	22.4 KB ID:	940451

Click image for larger version  Name:	CIMG2805.webp Views:	0 Size:	30.2 KB ID:	940452

Click image for larger version  Name:	CIMG2806.webp Views:	0 Size:	53.9 KB ID:	940453

Click image for larger version  Name:	CIMG2807.webp Views:	0 Size:	67.0 KB ID:	940454

Click image for larger version  Name:	CIMG2808.webp Views:	0 Size:	38.5 KB ID:	940455

Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2809.webp
Views:	101
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	940456

Click image for larger version  Name:	CIMG2810.webp Views:	0 Size:	41.6 KB ID:	940457

Click image for larger version  Name:	CIMG2811.webp Views:	0 Size:	41.1 KB ID:	940458

Click image for larger version  Name:	CIMG2812.webp Views:	0 Size:	59.7 KB ID:	940459

Click image for larger version  Name:	CIMG2813.webp Views:	3 Size:	54.9 KB ID:	940460
                      Last edited by theSven; 16 June 2023, 21:29 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• joeybutts
                        • Sep 2009

MTM chamber all wired and filled with both crossovers! YES!

Now to order those inductors, get the woofer crossovers in and maybbbbbeeeeee give a listen?

Comment

• joeybutts
                          • Sep 2009

Inductors are on the wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

OMG could actually wire these up and listen if it wasn't such a huge PITA wiring/mounting 10 drivers and then taking them back out to finish and then putting them back innnnnn........

Comment

• ---k---
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Nov 2005

whaaa whaaa whaaaa.

Think what a pain in the butt it was for me to build the boxes, take the boxes and all the drivers up to CJD to measure. CJD to measure the drivers. Me to go pick it up and bring it home. Wire it up. Listen. CJD to change the crossover. Listen some more. Take apart. Finish. Put back together.

We would appreciate it if you would get to the "these are the best speakers I've ever heard. I can now die happy" part of this build thread.

:P
                            - Ryan

Comment

• joeybutts
                              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by ---k---
                              whaaa whaaa whaaaa.

Think what a pain in the butt it was for me to build the boxes, take the boxes and all the drivers up to CJD to measure. CJD to measure the drivers. Me to go pick it up and bring it home. Wire it up. Listen. CJD to change the crossover. Listen some more. Take apart. Finish. Put back together.

We would appreciate it if you would get to the "these are the best speakers I've ever heard. I can now die happy" part of this build thread.

:P
                              :rofl: ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLBBQCOPTER :rofl:

Ryan....I almost died from reading that. Nicely put. Ok ok ok. I'll button them all up and break em in before getting to the finish. It will give me time to finish the center.

Comment

• AdelaaR
                                • Dec 2010

3 dimensional crossover stacking ... I like it

Doesn't a capacitor inside an inductor increase the inductance btw?

Comment

• joeybutts
                                  • Sep 2009

Originally posted by AdelaaR
                                  3 dimensional crossover stacking ... I like it

Doesn't a capacitor inside an inductor increase the inductance btw?
                                  Thanks! :T

I've been told that no real measurements to date have shown either way that a cap in an inductor effects the inductance. I've done it on a couple projects and a few well regarded people in the PE forum have as well.

I probably will never know the difference if there is.

Comment

• ---k---
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by joeybutts
                                    :rofl: ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLBBQCOPTER :rofl:

Ryan....I almost died from reading that. Nicely put. Ok ok ok. I'll button them all up and break em in before getting to the finish. It will give me time to finish the center.
                                    I'm glad you took it the right way. Just having fun with you.
                                    - Ryan

Comment

• cjd
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Dec 2004

I think there is something about me taking my time with the designs that creeps into every single build. I don't think this stuff can EVER be built quickly - it's just not possible.

Slow food is yummier, why not speaker building?! You're savoring it.

C

Comment

• joeybutts
                                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by cjd
                                        I think there is something about me taking my time with the designs that creeps into every single build. I don't think this stuff can EVER be built quickly - it's just not possible.

C
                                        Well put! Here, here!! Raise one for Chris!! Click image for larger version

Name:	beer.gif
Views:	76
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	940478

I did say I was going all out on this one and feel I have. There are a couple things I could have done a bit different, but they don't bother me to have any regrets.
                                        Last edited by theSven; 16 June 2023, 21:36 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• AdelaaR
                                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cjd

C
                                          I agree.
                                          I've been "building" my statements for almost 2 years now and I still even haven't actually done anything.
                                          My motto: The fun isn't in the goal, but on the road towards it

Comment

• meb46
                                            • Jul 2010

CJD/AdelaaR - Isn't that the beauty of a Hobby? The idea of finishing something i.e. a Speaker Build... seems so finite and final... It would feel like the joys and sense of accomplishment would end I'm in favour of savouring the build process... i'm sure my soon to be wife would not necessarily get so excited about the concept of an ever progressing speaker build consuming our spare room... or now know as "The Man Zone".

Comment

• meb46
                                              • Jul 2010

ps - The build looks great... eagerly awaiting your first listening impressions...

Comment

• joeybutts
                                                • Sep 2009

Thanks meb!

Inductors arrived today, got the x-over all hot glued up, tomorrow night will get them boarded, wired and mounted hopefully. Hopefully playing by the weekend!

Comment

• rusty
                                                  • Jan 2012

I'm thinking about building Khans too but I don't have much experience with woodworking. I could probably order boxes built in the shop. Do you have detailed drawings for the cabinets? I'm looking for spires, center and surrounds.

Comment

• joeybutts
                                                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by rusty
                                                    I'm thinking about building Khans too but I don't have much experience with woodworking. I could probably order boxes built in the shop. Do you have detailed drawings for the cabinets? I'm looking for spires, center and surrounds.
                                                    Hey Rusty! Are you looking for the actual blueprints or my drawings for how I built them? And all channels of Khanspires or of any design?

Comment

• rusty
                                                      • Jan 2012

I'm looking for the blueprints for all channels of Khanspires for 5-speaker HT system. So, I was thinking about building two Khanspires, one Khancenter and two Neatos for surrounds. I saw the blueprints for them on several threads but they don't have the cut lists, especially for the braces. I saw the pictures that you posted for your build and the cabinets are very neat, liked them a lot. So, it would be great if you had drawings for them. I also saw the drawings for Statements which I liked too but they are ported and I want to build sealed.

Comment

• joeybutts
                                                        • Sep 2009

ah. Yeah, it will be rare to find a cut list. You would have to draw one up. If I get some free time I'll try to do the Khan's, but in all honesty don't hold your breath. Crazy busy these days.

Maybe someone can post up one they made from before.

Comment

• cjd
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Dec 2004

There's that pesky "Y" returning to get someone else!

sound yet joey?

Comment

• ---k---
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Nov 2005

I never used a cut list when I built any of the Khans. Just hand sketches and scribbles as I went. Cutlists are nice, but really not needed.
                                                            - Ryan

Comment

• rusty
                                                              • Jan 2012

no problem joey, i might decide to build them myself afterall
                                                              contemplating between mdf and birch ply for the cabinets.

Comment

• joeybutts
                                                                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by cjd
                                                                There's that pesky "Y" returning to get someone else!

sound yet joey?
                                                                Definitely tomorrow! Celebrating that the appraisal of our contracted home came in at the perfect value with the wife tonight, but have all day tomorrow to get them wired and running! Can't wait to lug them the 300 ft to the building, up the flight of stairs and in to the apartment. :lol:

Can't wait to write back with first impressions!!!

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • Nov 2005

Furniture dollies come in handy.
                                                                  - Ryan

Comment

• joeybutts
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Sep 2009

I just threw them on my shoulder and went for a walk.

I'll def need to invest in a dolly.

Loading the drivers right now!!!

Comment

• cjd
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by joeybutts
                                                                      I just threw them on my shoulder and went for a walk.

I'll def need to invest in a dolly.

Loading the drivers right now!!!
                                                                      You're taking your time loading those drivers!

Or... you can't pull yourself away to post

Comment

• joeybutts
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by cjd
                                                                        You're taking your time loading those drivers!

Or... you can't pull yourself away to post
                                                                        Soldering 8 awg is a PITA!!!!

:E :E :E :E

These........are unbelievable. I wish the wife would leave. So I can really open them up!!! I've got unbelievable goosebumps. I was really nervous how these would compare to my Dayton 8's and that I wouldn't think they were any better. BWHAHAHAHHAHAHA. I am so dumb.

These are so open and......refreshing. I know some of you are going to get the mob after me for saying this, but even dubstep sounds amazing.

I listened to a few crooners and a few bands. I can't get enough. Even the wife, when I explained what "open" meant was astonished and in agreement. I know Ryan says these won't play too low, but they do an amazing job without a subwoofer. On music of course.

These were well worth the time. Now to make them look as nice as they sound and get them into the man cave to let them really sing! :T

Oh. pics coming.

Comment

• joeybutts
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Sep 2009

Woofer crossover- I can't believe the size of this inductor.

Name:	CIMG2848.webp
Views:	95
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	940463

Crossovers loaded and fully wired!

Name:	CIMG2849.webp
Views:	99
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	940464

Waiting to get in!

Name:	CIMG2850.webp
Views:	100
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	940465

Name:	CIMG2852.webp
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	940466

Loaded!!!! Sorry you have to see my hideous sweater. :P I was so excited didn't even realize I was shirtless!

Name:	CIMG2857.webp
Views:	97
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	940467

Both done!

Name:	CIMG2858.webp
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	940468

Name:	CIMG2859.webp
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	940469

Name:	CIMG2863.webp
Views:	100
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	940470

Name:	CIMG2864.webp
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	940471

Name:	CIMG2868.webp
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	940472
                                                                          Last edited by theSven; 16 June 2023, 21:33 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • Nov 2005
                                                                            • 5204

There is a reason that no one else uses 8 awg wire.

I'm glad they are sounding great and you're happy. And to think, you haven't even broken them in or experimented with stuffing or fancy caps.
                                                                            - Ryan

Comment

• joeybutts
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Sep 2009
                                                                              • 476

Hhahahh. Yeah, the 8 awg is total overkill. Just didn't think ahead on what it would take to get it soldered up! Oy. But that's all in the past now! WOOT!!!

Loving these. After recalibrating the system...... :E :E :E :E :E

The super bowl was great to watch. Madonna's really crappy recorded halftime show actually sounded decent!!

Anyone want to lend me a pair of khan's while I do the finish on these? ::

Chris and Ryan.... ;x( excellent work gent's. I can't imagine paying what a retail place would want for a pair likle these. These are an outstanding value, especially at the figured price I paid for everything.

RETAIL DRIVER AND CROSSOVER (not including wiring, binding posts) - $840/pr

APPROX RETAIL COMPLETED SANS FINISH - $1100/pr

Approximate price that I actually paid for everything - $600/pr

I would love to know what these are worth on the retail market. :

Comment

• joeybutts
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Sep 2009
                                                                                • 476

What would adding stuffing to the mid chamber do to the sound? Just curious before I go just blindly throwing it in there.

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • Nov 2005
                                                                                  • 5204

I would imagine that if these were sold by one of the internet direct type places, the price would be in the $3k - $5k range + a ton for shipping. And just guessing here, because prices can be all over the place because of the limited number sold, but I would imagine your local boutique hi-fi shop would sell them anywhere from $5k to $30k. I know based on the amount of time it took me to build them and the parts cost, I wouldn't personally build them for someone else for less than $2k.

As far as what adding stuffing would do to the mid-chamber. It can have lots of effects depending on the amount you have in there now. The goal is to remove the rear wave reflection. The mid box is already oversized and the crossover is well above the roll-off, so you don't need extension. Playing with stuffing in the woofer will affect the rate of roll off and to some degree the level of bass at the crossover. I found that it had negative effect I both the mid and woofer. But CJD also measured and designed the box around what I had originally. It is worth a little experimenting with - as long as you can get the drivers in and out easily. I would try try two fist fulls in the mid and separately 4 or so in the bottom of the woofer. Then go from there.

For demonstrating that disappearing clarity and imaging I think you're raving about, I like to use:

Not the most complex audio, but different things demonstrate different characteristics better.

This is another fun one I frequently use:

Then a lot of my favorite music: Jack Johnson, JJ Grey, Norah Jones, blah blah blah...
                                                                                  - Ryan

Comment

• joeybutts
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Sep 2009
                                                                                    • 476

I would imagine that if these were sold by one of the internet direct type places, the price would be in the $3k - $5k range + a ton for shipping. And just guessing here, because prices can be all over the place because of the limited number sold, but I would imagine your local boutique hi-fi shop would sell them anywhere from $5k to $30k. I know based on the amount of time it took me to build them and the parts cost, I wouldn't personally build them for someone else for less than $2k.

As far as what adding stuffing would do to the mid-chamber. It can have lots of effects depending on the amount you have in there now. The goal is to remove the rear wave reflection. The mid box is already oversized and the crossover is well above the roll-off, so you don't need extension. Playing with stuffing in the woofer will affect the rate of roll off and to some degree the level of bass at the crossover. I found that it had negative effect I both the mid and woofer. But CJD also measured and designed the box around what I had originally. It is worth a little experimenting with - as long as you can get the drivers in and out easily. I would try try two fist fulls in the mid and separately 4 or so in the bottom of the woofer. Then go from there.

For demonstrating that disappearing clarity and imaging I think you're raving about, I like to use:

Not the most complex audio, but different things demonstrate different characteristics better.

This is another fun one I frequently use:

Then a lot of my favorite music: Jack Johnson, JJ Grey, Norah Jones, blah blah blah...
                                                                                    Awesome. Thanks for all that explanation. I may throw a bit more 703 in the mid section. See what I think of that.

Thanks for those recommendations on music!! I was actually going to be asking about that soon; some tunes for displaying ability. I am always at a loss for artists to sample/showoff.

Can't wait to go home and listen some more!

Comment

• joeybutts
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Sep 2009
                                                                                      • 476

Have had some time with these and a lot of different music and I haven't driven them to a level of noticeable distortion. These sound INSANELY good. Poorly recorded sticks out a bit. Love the clarity, depth and impact. the impact, oh the impact. Love it.

Can't wait to get these in the new space and with some acoustic treatments. Should be sexy on the ears.

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                        • Nov 2005
                                                                                        • 5204

Glad to hear that you're enjoying them. I'm looking forward to seeing your finish ... if you can ever bring yourself to take them apart to do the finish. :P
                                                                                        - Ryan

Comment

• joeybutts
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2009
                                                                                          • 476

Glad to hear that you're enjoying them. I'm looking forward to seeing your finish ... if you can ever bring yourself to take them apart to do the finish. :P
                                                                                          Yes...putting the drivers in was the STUPIDEST thing ever. :T These are never going to get finished!

Comment

• joeybutts
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Sep 2009
                                                                                            • 476

in their new home waiting for some fresh duds! Amazing. Building these was the best idea ever. Almost time to start focusing on the Man Room.

Name:	file-5.webp
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	940412
                                                                                            Last edited by theSven; 16 June 2023, 20:19 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"