X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • uncle_dito
    • Dec 2006

SOS 803D tweeter membrane broken

I am despaired. I just noticed that in one of my 803D the gray thin membrane behind the grill of the 803D tweeter is broken :E Arrrghhh.

Do I need to turn in the whole speaker for repair?
    Is it an easy replacement I could do on my own? I wonder if I could get the part from my dealer.

Earlier today I heard music, and did not notice anything wrong. Is there any risk if I continue to play music through this speaker?

Thanks for the advice!
    Hi Fi: Audio Research VT.100mkIII, Reference 3, DAC8; Sony SCDXA5400ES; MF A1008 integrated (backup); B&W 803D (also used in HT setup); IXOS cables XHS553 (644 SPC4mm2 high purity silver speaker cable); Chord Digital Signature coaxial, Chord Optical Optichord; VDH C5 The Bay; MIT AVt 1 analogue interconnects; QNAP TS209 NAS; J River MC21
    HT:Sony STR-DA1200ES (Front Pre Out into Reference 3 HT input); Sony SAVE-835D speakers; Sony Blu ray BDP-5000ES; REL STRATA 5; QED Reference Digital audio
  • Pedro
    • Jan 2006

Damn man, what could be caused this damage? Because even if you would listen louder i can´t imagine a tweeter broke by itself. Eventually when we put so much louder, we can broke it but visually nothing happen, just stop speaking.

How much time do you have it?

Does anyone can help explaining why this could happened with our friend, because I confess I never wonder that could happen without any fisical intervention.

Comment

• style
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2006

sorry you have a picture?

thx style

Comment

• spykids777
        • Dec 2010

Hi,

It is not difficult to change the tweeter setup. My tweeter for my 803di came not working in one of the speakers. The dealer came to replace it - easy steps that I am sure someone can walk you through it or have the dealer come and change it. Mine ended up being hhe connection inside the main speaker that had come loose!

Comment

• style
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2006

hi spykids777,

I think is a $$$ question not a job problems....

I had a 803d and 1 tweeter broken: I have decide to replace the 2 tweeter to have the same "sound": 2 new Diamond tweeter in europa are around 3k $.

style

Comment

• beden1
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2006

How are the tweeters getting damaged?

Comment

• spykids777
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by style
              hi spykids777,

I think is a $$$ question not a job problems....

I had a 803d and 1 tweeter broken: I have decide to replace the 2 tweeter to have the same "sound": 2 new Diamond tweeter in europa are around 3k $.

style
              I was just responding to the original quest of "whether he could replace it?". I am not sure how much they cost here in US.

Comment

• JürgenW
                • Jul 2004

Please have a look in the sticky thread Replacement Parts in this forum, where you wil find (a bit further up in that thread) an internet adres for (the prices of) parts.

Comment

• style
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2006

ok, JürgenW. that ok.

but change the tweeter is more simply with pictures vs. word!

i have posted oer the price only for say that a D tweeter is not a CM tweeter!

Comment

• kpodolski
                    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by uncle_dito
                    I am despaired. I just noticed that in one of my 803D the gray thin membrane behind the grill of the 803D tweeter is broken :E Arrrghhh.

Do I need to turn in the whole speaker for repair?
                    Is it an easy replacement I could do on my own? I wonder if I could get the part from my dealer.

Earlier today I heard music, and did not notice anything wrong. Is there any risk if I continue to play music through this speaker?

Thanks for the advice!

I used to work for a B&W dealer and was responsible for repairing customer speakers that were defective or damaged. The tweeter on the 800 series (and other drivers as far as this goes) are not difficult to replace. JUST TAKE YOUR TIME AND DON'T RUSH THE PROCESS. As you have discovered the membrane is very thin and easy to damage.

As far as reaplacing the speaker itself; that's up to your dealer. Ideally, the dealer should provide the service if the speakers are under warranty. The dealer needs to send back the defective driver for credit otherwise they will be charged for the replacement driver. For customers with larger and heavier speakers I would normally just go the clients house and repair the speaker in the field.
                    The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton

Comment

• JürgenW
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by style
                      but change the tweeter is more simply with pictures vs. word!
                      Please have a look here;
                      How to replace tweeters on Nautilus and Signature speakers

PS. @ Mods. Wouldn't it be nice to have that thread as a sticky one?
                      With the title:
                      How to replace tweeters and others parts on B&W speakers?

Comment

• style
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2006

Hallo JürgenW,

you have already changed nautius tweeter?

Magnetic creates problems...made the "job" more complicated like the pictures
                        (and is not a diamond but signature or?)

the diamond is very very sensitive is enough that a finger touches the tweeter to do a spot ...(don't make sound problems but is not a good job..)

with a consolation to use the broken tweeter you can put on your
                        desk at work :B

style

Comment

• JürgenW
                          • Jul 2004

Hallo style,

No I haven't changed a Nautilus tweeter. I changed tweeters of the Matrix 801 S3.

So I can't anything say about changing a tweeter of a diamond B&W.

Anyway I think a sticky thread (see two posts before this one) could be very useful.

Jürgen

Comment

• style
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Feb 2006

I agree Jürgen,
                            but is not so"easy-simply" like the pictures"...

anyway :
                            Please have a look here; How to replace tweeters on Nautilus and Signature speakers http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=30813
                            is a good thing....

Comment

• dan87951
                              • Nov 2005

In the US the diamond speaker is about 12-1300 a side if I remember right. That sucks dude!
                              dan87951
                              audio guru

Comment

• uncle_dito
                                • Dec 2006

Tweeter replaced

Dear all,
                                many thanks for your comments and condolences. Finally I managed to get the tweeter through my audio dealer. I got some nice discount due to the long relationship, but over a 900€ retail price :roll:
                                Also I decided to attempt to replace it on my own. It proved not as hard as I expected, though care must be taken not to touch the diamond membrance, which is very delicate!
                                Now my 803D is back again sounding wonderful.
                                Just in case anyone wonders how to do it:
                                * unscrew the light aluminum rod at the end of the tweeter. That releases the inside mechanism within the tweeter, basically another rod and the tweeter.
                                * Remove away the front part of the tweeter (with the grill) about 1-2 cm from the tweeter black casing, enough to see the red and black cable conectors into the tweeter motor. Just unplug them, and notice the obvious colour coding.
                                * Remove the whole tweeter with the internal rod. Notice behind the tweeter motor a plastic rig which screws and holds together the tweeter and rod. Just unscrew this plastic rig. The tweeter is now released.
                                * Carefully put together the new tweeter (I left the grill on, to protect the diamond membrane; note part number ZZ14265 tweeter motor HF 2004 800 series) and rod, and screw with the white plastic rig.
                                * Carefully place inside the tweeter casing, close to the cable connectors. Plug the connectors into the corresponding tags. This I found the most delicate part, due to the small space available to do it (1-2 cm), and the risk of accidentally touching the diamond membrane (so keep the grill on).
                                * Once plugged, put the aluminum rod at the back to the tweeter in, and screw to the internal rod to keep everything in place again. That´s it.
                                As to the cause: after the problem with the speaker, I noticed that the right channel (the wronged 803D was the right side) of the Musical Fidelity A1008 was not working, even some smoke came out of it. Who died first? Did my MF kill my tweeter? or was it the other way (I doubt it).
                                Now I need to repair my MF :evil:
                                Hi Fi: Audio Research VT.100mkIII, Reference 3, DAC8; Sony SCDXA5400ES; MF A1008 integrated (backup); B&W 803D (also used in HT setup); IXOS cables XHS553 (644 SPC4mm2 high purity silver speaker cable); Chord Digital Signature coaxial, Chord Optical Optichord; VDH C5 The Bay; MIT AVt 1 analogue interconnects; QNAP TS209 NAS; J River MC21
                                HT:Sony STR-DA1200ES (Front Pre Out into Reference 3 HT input); Sony SAVE-835D speakers; Sony Blu ray BDP-5000ES; REL STRATA 5; QED Reference Digital audio

Comment

• azazel
                                  • Dec 2010

These tweeter problems on the diamond range put me off buying them. I have 802N and im happy with the aluminum tweeter and the affordable cost of replacing them in the event of an accident!

Comment

• Pedro
                                    • Jan 2006

From what I´ve read there´re much more recall about damaged nautilus tweeters. The diamonds are more sensible but for the peaks of highs the older nautilus series had more risks because of the frequency response less flat than the "new one"

Comment

Working...
                                    😀
                                    😂
                                    🥰
                                    😘
                                    🤢
                                    😎
                                    😞
                                    😡
                                    👍
                                    👎
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"