Clear All
  • brianpowers27
    • Feb 2009

Completed Build Thread - North Seas 8" 2-way

--SEAS Prestige P21RF/P (H511) 8" Poly Cone
    --North D2506-S tweeter.
    --Box Volume (approximate 55l)
    --F3 (Approximate)35hz

Both of the drivers may or may not be in spec forever. If the north goes out I am sure the Seas T27 series tweeters would provide a good match.

This design uses symmetrical LR4 1800 target slopes. I attempted to keep the xo simple and feel successful about my efforts. I used Erse Pulse-x caps and their perfect lay inductors. I used a mix of Zicon and Dayton resistors. Double up on NPEs when possible. THere is no BSC built in but it sounds full enough for my taste in free space. Don't shove this baby into a corner!

I most likely wont provide a cad drawing but I am providing essential construction coordinates.

Slot 6.25 x 9.25
    Dimensions 10.75w, 13t, 39
    step height 32
    woof 27, 5-3/8
    tweet 35-3/16, 4-3/4

Excuse the measurements, they were taken in the basement and didn't compensate for a concrete floor bounce (see 200hz)

Click image for larger version

Name:	1monaxis.webp
Views:	564
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	942694

Name:	northseasimpedancefinal.gif
Views:	29
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	942695

Name:	simontoein.gif
Views:	26
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	942696

Name:	northseas2.webp
Views:	50
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	942697

Name:	20090314_0972.webp
Views:	44
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	942698

Name:	20090206_0888.webp
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	942699

Name:	user5110_pic1253_1233574958.webp
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	942700

Name:	user5110_pic1251_1233574958.webp
Views:	47
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	942701

Name:	user5110_pic1237_1233540545.webp
Views:	51
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	942702

Name:	user5110_pic1236_1233540545.webp
Views:	46
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	942703
    Attached Files
    Last edited by theSven; 24 June 2023, 22:51 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
    --My Speaker building pages http://sites.google.com/site/brianpowers27speakers/
    --Get yourself on this forum member map! This can help everyone find fellow DIYers in the area.
    --The Speaker DIY resource Database
  • brianpowers27
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Operandi
    Looks nice .

How about a short review of their sound though?
    I am so empirical. It is very hard for me to do a thorough review.
    Budget
    --Woofers (59$/each)
    --Tweeter($24/each)
    --xo parts ($23/each)
    --Pa handle/terminals ($5 each)
    --MDF ($13 each)
    --Screw/glue ($2 each)
    --Paint ($5 each)
    --Polyurethane ($2/each)
    $134 each or $268/Pair..

Bass:
    Sufficient to run without a sub. The slot port does not compress during heavy passages. The attack is tight. This woofer appears to have been designed for high output midbass duties. As such it sounds even better with a sub.

Power handling:
    Will take all of the power my ears can stand without a lick of distortion. Crossed with a sub it could probably sound decent in a large room(30'x60') at high output.

Cabinet
    This cabinet is stuffed with rockwool 60. The cabinet is very dead.

Tweeter
    I play a tweeter torture test from Herbie Hancock does Gershwin. The loud and sharp muted trumpet doesn't comopress the tweeter. The soundstage is fairly wide. Imaging is good, not great because it is large.

Listening position
    This design has average power response. I listen at normal listening angles and find the speaker to behave very well. (For bonus points I may consider adding a Dayton ND16 5/8" dome tweeter to the back of the cabinet crossed at 8000hz.)

Overall Impression
    It is getting hard to pick a favorite anymore, since I have a number of quality speakers in the house. For the money this is a fantastic value (At current prices.). The sound is as good or better than my m-audio bx-8 studio monitors.

I know the speaker is good when I sit up the listening room and I am lost in the sound. I really heard some definite magic coming from Telarc's -- Music for All seasons -- Fall -- Claude Debussey. The harp sounded like I could reach out and touch it.

I also listened to a new track for me and was lost. --Trentemoller - "The Forest" This is a audiophile grade ambient techno track. THe soundstage is surreal. The bass is very deep and tight. This isn't traditional dance techno...

The standard Nickel Creek -- "Reason's Why" track has the clarity needed for both singers to resound and harmonize with the subtle nuances in the chorus. The acoustic guitar retains the purity in the original recording. The attacks are correct and the tone is balanced.
    --My Speaker building pages http://sites.google.com/site/brianpowers27speakers/
    --Get yourself on this forum member map! This can help everyone find fellow DIYers in the area.
    --The Speaker DIY resource Database

Comment

• 2sooners
      • Jan 2010

Would you make any changes to the xo's to use the seas h1212 tweeter?

I am going nuts for help here. The sale on these woofers is almost a must buy for me.

I just need to give madisound a schematic and get the parts coming.

I think i want to use the cygnet mkii box. The xo should be very similar to the cygnet but i cannot find the cygnet xo no where no how.

The value factor here should be off the charts.

Patience grasshopper....

Comment

• numberoneoppa
        • Sep 2009

2sooners: why not just use the specd tweeters?

Click now and see best headphones, headsets and earbuds in 2024 . Our expert authors review top headphones, headsets and earbuds.
        -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"