3-way with Seas U18RNX - DXT tweeter - Mid?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • g.org
    • Jan 2011

3-way with Seas U18RNX - DXT tweeter - Mid?

Hey folks.

My first post her will be a question about a 3way system.

I am wondering if anyone have made a 3way floorstanding with 2x Seas U18RNX/P - Seas DXT tweeter plus midrange?

I have theese speaker elements. Just missing midranges.
    I have built the Seas Idunn and really like the sound they produce, so my thought was to make a 3way system with these drivers and just add one midrange.
    My problem is that i am a neewbie and would feel a lot safer to build something thats already tested
    So then im asking here)

The U18 can be swapped with other drivers, but the tweeter is a keeper.

So if anyone can help me i would be grateful

Regards

Georg
  • g.org
    • Jan 2011

Spoken with Idland at Seas in Norway and he has done some simulations for me.

Will be using 2x U18RNX - 1 MCA12 - 1 27TBCD in each speaker.

apprx. 42 liters for bass - 2.5liters for mid.

Very cold in Norway these days so building will not start yet

Comment

• WE4242A
      • Jul 2010

The sensitivity of MCA12 is only 86.5dB.Two U18 will go 91dB around
      Seems this will work:http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/15m-4624g00.pdf

Comment

• Curt C
        • Feb 2005

Adding a midrange to a well designed 2 way will have the potential to reduce Doppler and compression distortion, as the midrange is exempted from the bass duties and large excursion requirements. All else being equal, the 3 way will sound just like your 2 way but perhaps a bit cleaner and more resolved at higher SPL’s.

I’d suggest you spin it the other way: Since you like the sound of the present 2 way, use the U18 as the mid, and reinforce the bass with a larger driver or pair of drivers. The additional advantages will be the potential for greater bass extension, greater SPL capabilities, and better system sensitivity. As the woofers can compensate for the baffle step, the resultant system could be up to 6 db more efficient than the present Idunn design.

There are advantages of using a larger diameter driver for a midrange, most having to do with increased mid pass band capabilities, and potentially lower distortion due to lessened cone excursion. A purpose built mid driver may perform slightly better, but since you have the U18’s already, this design option might be worth some consideration.

There are lots of good woofer candidates out there. As an example, I just finished a crossover for a 3 way floorstander which used a pair of Usher 8955A woofers per side. They paired up nicely with a Revelator mid and OW1 tweeter. I suspect the U18 / DXT used as a mid and tweeter would offer similar performance.

C
        Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• kmibb
          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Curt C
          Adding a midrange to a well designed 2 way will have the potential to reduce Doppler and compression distortion, as the midrange is exempted from the bass duties and large excursion requirements. All else being equal, the 3 way will sound just like your 2 way but perhaps a bit cleaner and more resolved at higher SPL’s.

I’d suggest you spin it the other way: Since you like the sound of the present 2 way, use the U18 as the mid, and reinforce the bass with a larger driver or pair of drivers. The additional advantages will be the potential for greater bass extension, greater SPL capabilities, and better system sensitivity. As the woofers can compensate for the baffle step, the resultant system could be up to 6 db more efficient than the present Idunn design.

There are advantages of using a larger diameter driver for a midrange, most having to do with increased mid pass band capabilities, and potentially lower distortion due to lessened cone excursion. A purpose built mid driver may perform slightly better, but since you have the U18’s already, this design option might be worth some consideration.

There are lots of good woofer candidates out there. As an example, I just finished a crossover for a 3 way floorstander which used a pair of Usher 8955A woofers per side. They paired up nicely with a Revelator mid and OW1 tweeter. I suspect the U18 / DXT used as a mid and tweeter would offer similar performance.

C
          Is this design going to be published? It sounds promising. What are your thoughts on it vs the Statements?

Comment

• g.org
            • Jan 2011

There is differense in sensitivity, but this was taken in consideration in the xover. The guys at Seas say according to measures and simulation with the filter they put together sensitivity will be approx. 89db for finished speaker at 1 meter.

I am going to put my faith in them and build this

Will find out if this goes bad or good when tested.
            If it goes bad i have two options. Either try to adjust xover or use other drivers+xover.

Will be fun building them anyway

Comment

• Curt C
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by kmibb
              Is this design going to be published? It sounds promising. What are your thoughts on it vs the Statements?
              I don't have a pair of Statements on hand to compare, but they are both quite close in performance. The differences would be the sound of the ribbon and metal mids vs soft dome and slit paper. The WmtmW configuration of the Statement seemed to provide a bit more tactile bass. (The Usher build was a physically less imposing TMWW 3.5 way.) I'd say it would come down to personal preferences as to which would sound better.

I don't have the right to make this particular design available for popular consumption.

C
              Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"