Seas Millennium tweeter: why is it so expensive?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • James W. Johnson
    • Jun 2001

Seas Millennium tweeter: why is it so expensive?

I'd expect something that is rebuildable for $155.30 a piece.

Its used in this kit..
    Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

But this other kit that uses it is the one I am interested in:

The above kit would really make a practial and I bet beautiful sounding speaker for my small HT and I am certain it would tame my fingers on the volume knob as well.
    pics
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

James

If you look around you'll find that many of the really high-end domes aren't rebuildable.

Some how I doubt that you'd be happy with a 87dB efficient speaker that's long term power handling is limited to 120 watts.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

The Excel Millenium tweeter is an excellent dome tweeter, low distortion, low coloration, and good power handling, etc. Like the SD1 motor Scanspeak tweeters, it's not field rebuildable; the assembly process requires more than screws and stuff. They have very good fidelity, which is why they're popular in a number of high end kits, inlcuding Linkwitz's Orion. But, for a single dome tweeter, there are limits to acoustical output capability and power handling. If you want a system that's capable of substantially higher than 100 dB peak output levels, you're going to probably need to be looking for something different than conventional cones and domes.

Regards,

Jon
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hank
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2002

Call me difficult to impress (or, high-frequency challenged), but the only tweeter that has impressed me, and I mean impressed enough to ask the brand/model, was at the 2002 CES in the Joseph Audio room. The answer: Seas Millenium.
        Stupid question time: unless you are very young and into Rock, why do you want over 100 dB continuous from your speakers? Excuse me if I've missed a post wherein you stated your dB requirements. I've been consumed at work lately and am sporadic in reading my favorite DIY forum.

Comment

• James W. Johnson
          • Jun 2001

Stupid question time: unless you are very young and into Rock, why do you want over 100 dB continuous from your speakers?
          >>>>>>>>>>>>.
          I would not call it stupid but definately ignorant... and I'd love to shed some light on it but frankly I doubt you'd understand.
          pics

Comment

• Al Garay
            • Jan 2004

Ease off dude! Hank does not mean to be offensive.

Comment

• James W. Johnson
              • Jun 2001

How about letting Hank talk for himself?
              pics

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Let's not get started. . . . Keep it civil folks. You hear me?

(The management)

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Hank
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jul 2002

Okay, I'll talk for myself, and I don't argue on forums (yeah, I know, that's abnormal). I just asked a question, no offense intended.
                  frankly I doubt you'd understand.
                  What logic did you use to make that mean statement?
                  It's a fact that many young people listen to music at ear-damaging spl levels. Okay, I'm all ears.

Comment

• Davey
                    • Jan 2003

Fellas,

Maybe I missed something, but the Millenium tweeter is indeed rebuildable..(if you're referring to VC replacement)...I've done it myself. The process is quite simple and the replacement voice coils reasonably priced.

Cheers,

Davey.

Comment

• James W. Johnson
                      • Jun 2001

Thanks for that info Davey, where do you buy the replacement VCs? I looked at Zalytron and Madisound and did not see them.

Also what did it take to fry your VC?
                      pics

Comment

• James W. Johnson
                        • Jun 2001

Okay, I'll talk for myself, and I don't argue on forums (yeah, I know, that's abnormal). I just asked a question, no offense intended.
                        Quote:
                        frankly I doubt you'd understand.

What logic did you use to make that mean statement?
                        It's a fact that many young people listen to music at ear-damaging spl levels. Okay, I'm all ears.
                        >>>>>>>>>>>

I was not going to answer this but I decided that perhaps I should because you guys took that statement and ran with it...I just let it go because I felt
                        that it was pointless to try and stop it.

Anyhow ... my statement above was also just a response with no offense intended and I totally understand that your question was also no offense intended (that is until I read your other response in the other post ..but that was probably stemmed off of this one so I wont hold it against you)...

Hank , I said I doubt you'd understand not because you could not understand the explanation but because I doubt I'd be able to coax you into trying it out for yourself...some people simply don't like loud music.

Anyways, lots of people enjoy loud music once in awhile , not just kids. Try cranking up a good recording of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture to your system's max ability , the music gains new life , the power and emotion pound away your concerns and the music takes over.
                        Wake up feeling grogy on a Monday? ..Kick in Sonny Clark's Cool Struttin' and crank it up. Monday will feel more like Friday.
                        Spin the Who's Quadrophenia at over 100dB.

When I say loud I mean maybe 100dB RMS , MAX for uncompressed stuff and maybe 105dB for compressed stuff.
                        Now I have not heard a 110dB from anything but my subwoofer since I sold my Kit281s because my Klipsch Ref speakers simply could not do it well. In fact I have not heard anything over 100dB in well over a year except from my subwoofer.
                        The Kit281s got me to around 105dB pretty cleanly so heavy bass notes would bring it up over 110dB...but I wont lie...I wanted more for that occational blast.
                        When I say occational I mean I may crank it up for a CDs worth of songs once every two weeks at most. So basically an hour of high SPLs.

Lastly , as I stated I have not really had my system blasting nicely for quite some time now because its simply not capable of doing it well....but I am aiming for that now.

Trust me, I love my hearing and would not want to lose it....the difference between my SPLs and an 18yos is that mine are cleaner and I know when too much is too much.

Greg Monfort is quite abit older than me..ask him if he like to crank it up once in awhile.
                        At 33 yo I am just a kid compared to some of the guys around the DIY community. I kind of like it that way..it makes me feel younger.
                        pics

Comment

• Davey
                          • Jan 2003

James,

Well, I didn't fry the tweeter. It was a freak mechanical failure caused by myself...inadvertantly.

The replacement VC assembly is listed on the Madisound website. Part number H9929 $27.70.

Cheers,

Davey.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"