X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Corbin1
    • Feb 2008

SEAS Excel to Millenium Tweeter swap?

I'm a first time poster so please be gentle. I own a pair of Joseph Audio RM33si speakers which are wonderful. The standard tweeter is the SEAS Excel. Joseph makes a limited edition of my speaker which employees the SEAS Millenium tweeter. I was trying to figure out what I could expect if I were to buy two of the Millenum tweeters and basically just bolt them in place instead of shipping the speakers back to Joseph Audio and having them do the upgrade at a cost of $2,500. I'm assuming at that price they are doing more than just swapping tweeters but the spec's for the two look pretty much the same so I really don't know if they are modifiying the crossover or not? Thanks for any advice!
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Hi, welcome to the forum!

The tweeter swap you propose requires a new crossover. It is not plug and play. For $2500 keep the tweeters you have. In fact, many in the DIY world think the regular excel tweeter is a better performer.

Jed

Comment

• Corbin1
      • Feb 2008

Thanks, still curious though?

as to what the most obvious sonic difference is between the Millenium and Excel tweeter? Is the Excel just more "laid back" or is there more to it than that? Is the Millenium "more detailied"? Thanks!

Comment

• Jed
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Apr 2005

Tough to really say since I haven't compared these 2 tweeters myself. However, after looking at the objective data posted at zaphaudio.com, it is clear to me that the Excel is a fine performer. Definitely not worth $2500 for a downgrade in performance IMO. Yeah all the reviewers love the looks of the Millennium, and it is used in the Joseph Audio Top of the Line speakers, but I'm telling you even the Seas 27TDFC has better harmonic distortion performance than the Millennium.

Do you have any interest in DIY speakers? For $2500 we could come up with a killer speaker system that should blow away most of the speakers in the stores costing over $5k-10K.

Jed

Comment

• Jonasz
          • Nov 2004

Do you have any interest in DIY speakers? For $2500 we could come up with a killer speaker system that should blow away most of the speakers in the stores costing over $5k-10K.
          Amen!

I guess you could build a pair of Orion for that amount of money... :P

Comment

• Corbin1
            • Feb 2008

Makes sense.

Thanks for the advice Jed, what you say really makes sense. I guess it's easy to get caught up in hype sometimes. The model 33's I have actually won best of show at CES back a few years ago. I've always loved the way they sound but after they released the limited edition you know how that goes, if it's "Limited" it must be better (>:

I really don't know anything about speaker building, I've just enjoyed high end audio for the past 30 years or so. I'd love to learn more about it but it's probably a little late to try to learn the craft. I think you've convinced me to just enjoy what I have, I'm sure they will keep going for a very long time. I plan to check in on this forum now and again and you never know, maybe I will try putting something together some day. I work for a millwork company, no shortage of materials, machines and guys who know how to build beautiful cabinets.
            Thanks again!

Comment

• Jed
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Apr 2005

Glad I could help. By the way it's never too late to enjoy speaker building. It's one of the most rewarding hobbies out there. What more could you want than to build something that makes beautiful music? There are plenty of completed designs here to choose from as well. We're all here to help you when you need it.

Take care and keep enjoying the music,

Jed

Comment

• servicetech
                • Sep 2007

I've been building speakers since was 14 yrs old. Thing have changed a LOT in the past 20 years, but I've always made my own. There is a lot of $$$ to be saved by DIY.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"