Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • benniehanas
    • Jan 2016

Need Amplifier for Jim Holtz's: Anthology Towers

Hello, I just got this kit with the recommended capacitor upgrades and such and will be building once I move. I listen to music, but also like movies and am eyeballing a pair of HS-24 subs by stereointegrity further down the road. I will be getting things as I can afford them and the next in line before the preamp are monoblocks. Anyone have any experience with these? Anyone recomend a good preamp to use with these monoblocks, or better a DAC that is also a good preamp? I need something to power these and have been looking towards Schiit Tyr Amps and am wondering it they will provide enough power. They are rated as follows:
    8 Ohms: 200W RMS per channel maximum
    4 Ohms: 350W RMS per channel maximum

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 3Hz-500KHz, -3dB

THD: <0.01%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 200W RMS into 8 ohms
    IMD: <0.01%, CCIR, at 200W RMS into 8 ohms

SNR: >120db, A-weighted, referenced to full output

Damping Factor: >200 into 8 ohms, 20-20kHz

Gain: 22 (28dB)

Input Sensitivity: AKA Rated Output (Vrms)/Rated Gain. Or, 40/22. You do the math.

Input Impedance: 47k ohms SE, 47k ohms balanced

Inputs: RCA for SE input, XLR for balanced input, rear panel switchable

Topology: Nexus™ discrete differential current feedback gain stage, no coupling capacitors or DC servos with Continuity™ constant transconductance output stage, all BJT output

Oversight: microprocessor-controlled monitoring and management of critical operational points, including DC offset, with standby mode and relay shut-down for overcurrent, thermal, and other faults

Power Supply: 600VA transformer with 600VA choke input to main rails, plus boosted, regulated supply to input, voltage gain and driver stages, plus separate, isolated and regulated rails for microprocessor management.​

• theSven
    Master of None
    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by benniehanas
    Hello, I just got this kit with the recommended capacitor upgrades and such and will be building once I move. I listen to music, but also like movies and am eyeballing a pair of HS-24 subs by stereointegrity further down the road. I will be getting things as I can afford them and the next in line before the preamp are monoblocks. Anyone have any experience with these? Anyone recomend a good preamp to use with these monoblocks, or better a DAC that is also a good preamp? I need something to power these and have been looking towards Schiit Tyr Amps and am wondering it they will provide enough power. They are rated as follows:
    8 Ohms: 200W RMS per channel maximum
    4 Ohms: 350W RMS per channel maximum

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 3Hz-500KHz, -3dB

THD: <0.01%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 200W RMS into 8 ohms
    IMD: <0.01%, CCIR, at 200W RMS into 8 ohms

SNR: >120db, A-weighted, referenced to full output

Damping Factor: >200 into 8 ohms, 20-20kHz

Gain: 22 (28dB)

Input Sensitivity: AKA Rated Output (Vrms)/Rated Gain. Or, 40/22. You do the math.

Input Impedance: 47k ohms SE, 47k ohms balanced

Inputs: RCA for SE input, XLR for balanced input, rear panel switchable

Topology: Nexus™ discrete differential current feedback gain stage, no coupling capacitors or DC servos with Continuity™ constant transconductance output stage, all BJT output

Oversight: microprocessor-controlled monitoring and management of critical operational points, including DC offset, with standby mode and relay shut-down for overcurrent, thermal, and other faults

Power Supply: 600VA transformer with 600VA choke input to main rails, plus boosted, regulated supply to input, voltage gain and driver stages, plus separate, isolated and regulated rails for microprocessor management.​
    Do you have a link for the kit that you got?

I'm just getting into the DAC experience and would not be able to make any recommendations that would be helpful. I have a Soekris 2541 that I got 2 weeks ago and I have started to experiment with the DAC. Pre-amps, I have no experience to date. My journey began in the home theater side and then this forum grew my interest in 2.0 and that journey is just beginning now after building my last project the SMJ Ardent D's. I have a setup for theater, and then I have to switch the XLR cables from the Theater processor to the DAC for the 2.0 listening.

Looking forward to read what other members would recommend for a DAC or pre-amp setup.
    Painter in training

Comment

• benniehanas
      benniehanas commented
      Editing a comment
      I got from madisoundspeakerstore.com. I had a 2.0 kit from speakerdesignworks. Their TriTrix MTM. I would always look behind the couch to the front door when a knock at the door was in a movie! sounded better than 5.1 but with only 2 speakers. It was my first build and ugly hehehe. Wife forced me to finally get rid of them. Weird how 3D better 2.0 towers can sound.
  • eb15
    • Sep 2006

That's actually a little more power amp than the speaker will handle, but it should be fine for most circumstances (if you don't go crazy with bass boost and loudness).
    The anthology uses 2 RS225s in parallel, so 2 times 80Wrms rating = 160W into 4 ohms or using the peak power spec of 160W x 2 = 320W peak into 4ohms.

Comment

• Heli-Tim
      • Nov 2015

I'm building the same pair of speakers! I ended up building a custom amp for them . Prior to that, I was looking at Emotivas XPA line-up.

This hobby gets expensive fast!

Comment

• benniehanas
        benniehanas commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea it does. Like 5k so far, and still no DAC or preamp
    • benniehanas
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by eb15
      That's actually a little more power amp than the speaker will handle, but it should be fine for most circumstances (if you don't go crazy with bass boost and loudness).
      The anthology uses 2 RS225s in parallel, so 2 times 80Wrms rating = 160W into 4 ohms or using the peak power spec of 160W x 2 = 320W peak into 4ohms.
      Ok, thanks, I was looking for an amp that I didn't need to push past half on the nob for peak sound. This seems it will do it I guess

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"