X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhferry
    • Jan 2006

Flooring advice for basement HT room

Hi everyone,

In my new house I will be building a new HT room in the basement. I have an HSU vtf3 and I love base. It will be a smaller size, 13x17 or so. I am a new DIY so I have done some reading which of course confused me even more.

Option 1: 2x4 sleeper subfloor. carpeted

Option 2: Subfloor panels, carpeted:

Option 3: 2x4 subfloor stage with the sub on the stage and the rest of the room carpet over concrete.

I imagine option 1 will be the best for base and feeling that vibration? Someone told me about a sand filled stage under the sub but I dont understand how that works. Any help guys?
  • KeithM
    • Oct 2005

HAve you considered bass shakers like this one or maybe these?
    From my experience with my brother's SVS, with same room dimensions and similar furnishing(couch in both), same position, everything, the SVS sounded better on concrete, but with little feeling. The bass shakers can make that extra shake. All they need is a small cheap stereo amp and cable run to the seats.

Comment

• jhferry
      • Jan 2006

I really havent, I already have an HSU VTF3 MKII which is a monster, especially for the size room Im building. Im curious to hear what kind of flooring options you guys think would work.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

How about explaining your goals? Do you want the floor to vibrate?

A stand filled platform is designed not to vibrate.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• jhferry
          • Jan 2006

I would like to feel the bass you the vibration is fine with me. Why wouldnt you want to feel the vibration? I know Im new to this so Im curious. Im my mind the who point of bass is to feel it but I guess I wouldnt want to shake the room apart either.

Goals, Feel the bass. Not have a dead room but not such a live room where the vibration detracts from things.

Comment

• KeithM
            • Oct 2005

One reason I like concrete is because I don't like floor thumping during music, another being the improved sound quality. If you get a wood floor with carpet on top, just make sure it is well-braced(I think that would be a term). Otherwise you get too much vibration and can sometimes hear the floor.

Comment

• jhferry
              • Jan 2006

In that case though you dont feel the base as much as you might hear it? Im confused over why vibration is a bad thing and some avoid it. I always thought that was the point really.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                • May 2004

Yes, I agree, the vibration is what higher end audio world consider to be an inferior design in speaker cabinets or room environments. I personally would go for a high quality sub that will make the pant leg flap by the air that the sub moves, and go for a buttshaker for that extra shake. Having the floor vibrate or window rattle just kills the HT experience for me personally.

Comment

• jhferry
                  • Jan 2006

Maybe imstill confused. I dont want any rattling. I just want to feel the movement of the bass. What would bass shakers do that my HSU wouldnt do in a room that small. It goes down to 20hz easy. Regardless, in my current room which is tiled I can feel the couch move when the bass hits. Not like the walls are vibrating. Maybe its just my terminology. Either way, out of those 3 options which is the better setup regardless of what I know about proper acoustics?

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Having the floor set up to transmit vibrations will also cause it to act as a resonant chamber which will alter the sounds away from what they are supposed to sound like. A simple description is bloated and one-note bass. Go for accuracy which points directly to option #3. Now, with that accomplished go for as serious a sub-woofer as you can afford - a Velodyne DD-18 would be awesome! :

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• jhferry
                      • Jan 2006

So are you guys saying carpet over concrete would be the best option then? Concrete sure wont vibrate.

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Yes, for sound quality that is your best option. This and a monster sub, butt-kickers, or both will serve you better in the long run.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• jhferry
                          • Jan 2006

Thats interesting. I see so many people doing HT's with a subfloor. Concrete would sure be cheaper.

Comment

• RobP
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Nov 2004

I have a concrete floor with pad and carpet and the bass is incredible, Its tight and very accurate. I would go the concrete route. It will lessen room resonance's considerably which will help you "feel" those low notes even better.
                            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Marzen
                              • Jul 2005

At one point I had my diy 2x10 sub directly behind the loveseat with the drivers firing into it. The sub isn't that accurate for high end music reproduction, but it will definately rattle your innards for movies. The cabinet is rather large and doubled as a sofa table for lamps. I have a large 28x40 room with carpet over concrete floor.
                              What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• brac
                                • Aug 2005

I have done lots of research and am going concrete, carpet, with a hardwood floor area at the front where the speaks will sit...

Comment

• jhferry
                                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by brac
                                  I have done lots of research and am going concrete, carpet, with a hardwood floor area at the front where the speaks will sit...
                                  Like a stage? Or a riser where your seats will be?

Comment

• brac
                                    • Aug 2005

Like a stage only no sub-floor... Seating is a single row so no riser needed... I now have 4 walls and will start flooring this week...
                                    Brac

Comment

• jhferry
                                      • Jan 2006

So your basically just nailing down plywood over the concrete without the sleepers?

Comment

• brac
                                        • Aug 2005

No, the area where the speaks sit will be hardwood floor(over a moisture barrier pad)placed right on the crete, and the rest of the room will be carpet.
                                        Brac

Comment

Working...
                                        😀
                                        😂
                                        🥰
                                        😘
                                        🤢
                                        😎
                                        😞
                                        😡
                                        👍
                                        👎
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"