X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stoopalini
    • Aug 2000

Aura Bass Shakers

The Aura Bass Shakers -- Are they worth it?

Installation:

I flipped over my couch and removed the undercloth by pulling the staples out all the way around. Then I cut two boards that measure aprox 6" x 6" x 1.5" and screwed them to the frame of the couch, one at each end, with 1 1/2" wood screws.

FYI: I had to pre-drill the holes with a 1/4 drill bit to keep from splitting the wood. I found this out after the 1st one, which I did not pre-drill -- Ooops!

Next, I mounted one shaker to each board with 4 1/2" wood screws. No Pre-drill necessary.

Now for the wiring:

Since only one channel of my adcom is functional right now, I hooked up my DVC Subwoofer and both Shakers to one channel in a Serial/Parallel config to give me a single 4 Ohm load at the amp. This should produce somewhere around 160 watts or so to the 12" Passive woofer and 2 Aura Bass Shakers.

So how do they sound? ....err Feel?

I popped in 5th Element for a couple reasons
    1) it's one of my favorites, and ...
    2) it's one of the only ones my Yami player will still recognize.

So what did I think? Well, I didn't care too much for the shaking when there was background music happening. These things were bouncing my couch around with the slightest bass effect.
    I think this is due to my configuration though, and not necessarily the shakers themselves. I would say that I either have way too much wattage going to them, or I need to cross them over around 40Hz or so. Right now the only crossover in the chain is my Yamaha 795's LFE channel cut off -- which I believe is 80Hz.

But, during the action scenes these things are awesome! When Zorg is demo'ing that weapon (ZR-71 or something) these shakers really added to the experience. Especially when the net shoots out -- WOW! The THUMP produced by the subwoofer is magnified 10x by the motion you feel from the shakers! Much more than I expected!

My final thoughts

I'd say they are worth the $8.95 a piece I paid for them. I will definitely get a separate amp though; something around 50 watts mono or 25w stereo and cross them over close to 30-40hz. I think the best feel would be to get that extra Umphhh only with the very low bass hits.
    80Hz is just way too high.

Finally, as far as music listening? I did not like them turned on with music at all! I will turn these things off when listening to music and on when it's movie night.

There's my 2 cents .......

Thomas.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The Fs of these devices is 40Hz. Then they list the frequency response as 20Hz to 80Hz. So I wonder how effective they will be operating below their Fs?

Guess it experimentation time

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Mike Temple
      • Sep 2000

I still have four of these things hanging around after a month. I think I might try them using an old reciever as an amp for now just to seee the difference with and without. It seems everyone has agreed that they don't work well for music but are more for HT than anything. If all works well I might try one of the cheaper plate amps from Apex JR.

Comment

• Lexman
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2000

to top.

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"