X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

RUSH...well it's a rush

Based on the 1976 Formula One racing season and the rivalry between James Hunt and Niki Lauda. It is a Ron Howard film. He has never IMO made a bad film, and Rush is no exception. I am not a fan of car racing but that didn't matter because the story of these two fantastic race car drivers is just downright interesting. So, whether you are a racing fan or not, this is a great story you shouldn't miss. And believe me, if you have a good audio system, it will be tested to the max. :T
    My Homepage!
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

I followed F1 a lot in the 70s and 80s and very much wanted to see this at the cinema on the biggest screen possible. Alas, too many things conspired to make that impossible, so I'll have to settle for buying a copy for home.

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

I had started this thread over at the 'At the Movies' forum.
      Really happy to hear you enjoyed it!

I must make a point of heading over to the brick & mortar rental store to grab this one ASAP now that is released on DVD.

Edit:
      Actually, I will just go ahead and buy a copy on-line.
      Something I rarely do, but this one must be in my permanent library.
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Might have to give it a spin on your recommendation George
        Jason

Comment

• wkhanna
          • Jan 2006

As I have posted earlier, I became a fan of Formula 1 auto racing in the late 60's.

Back then living in the United States, there was virtually no media coverage of the sport here, & I had to be quite resourceful in obtaining any information any possible way I could.
          My auto sport magazines from England would arrive sometimes months after the actual races took place, & often I would not know which driver & team won that year’s F1 World Championship for weeks after the season’s end.
          I spent hours reading the biographies of the drivers, designers & engineers, & could quote driver, car & track statistics with the best of aficionados.
          To this day I remain a dedicated (though significantly less obsessive) fan & have even managed to attend a few actual races.

The world of F1 was, and more so today, rife with rivalry, politics, money & international prestige. Even with Ron Howard’s involvement, & more importantly, Niki Lauda’s tacit approval & limited cooperation, I was still V wary of expecting anything worthy, let alone accurate & capable of presenting the incredible story of F1 during an era when there were heroes who actually walked among us.

Common theatrical & script editing/compression was required to bring this story to the screen, so of course, some of the nuance & details of the actual events were omitted. Yet, the film did a fair job of conveying the complexities of both the antagonistic human relationship between the two main characters, their passion, their motivation & the struggle with that powerful daemon that seems to live within those who possess relentless compulsion for success.

From the perspective of a serious motorsports fan, the film was to the best of my recollection quite accurate. The cars, the tracks, the liveries…….all appeared just as I remembered. This is no easy feat, as the cars & tracks could both change dramatically from year to year. They obviously had at their disposal a remarkable stable of original era race cars. The cinematography was good & seemed to telegraph well the speed, dynamics & sensations generated by seeing these cars at speed on track. Few if any noticeable or unacceptable instances of trickery or blatant, cartoon-type wheel banging or Dukes of Hazard type effects. Restraint for the sake of reality….it was so appreciated by me.

From the perspective of someone not at all familiar with such a culture……..?
          Well, the best way I can attest to the film’s ability to capture & hold the attention of the uninitiated viewer is this…….The Wife watched the entire movie, beginning to end, and loved every minute. The plot was thick & juicy enough to hold her attention, yet still did not bore me to tears.

Was this the ultimate in race car movies?
          No, not by a long shot.
          For that, you must see Steve McQueen’s production of ‘Le Mans’.
          A film about racing made by a real race car driver.
          There never has been, & I truly doubt there ever will be a movie so accurate, so poignant, so true-to-life about race cars & the men that race them as that one.

But my helmet comes off to Mr. Howard for making a mature, interesting, accurate & worthy film that pays long overdue homage to the great race drivers of years gone by. In a world were everyone & their brother seems to be participating in some sort of ‘extreme’ sport or other ‘ultimate’ activity, when you compare it to the daemons these greats, these ‘heroes who once walked among us’ faced on a daily basis, it makes me respect even more dearly those days gone by when men acted as men.
          Last edited by wkhanna; 19 February 2014, 20:22 Wednesday. Reason: spelling
          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

I think you've convinced me to get this one Bill. No, in fact I'm sure you have!

Nigel.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Thanks, Bill. Definitely in my Netflix queue!
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

I watched it last night with my wife and we both really enjoyed it, so that's two thumbs up from me.

Nigel.

Comment

• wkhanna
                  • Jan 2006

I am so glad to hear you both enjoyed it!
                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Rented it on BD. For a bit, I was thinking, "this is going to be a bland movie with some neat racing shots." Well, as a true story, it certainly hits its thrilling aspects, and had me amazed, asking (as I find one does in the really interesting movies based on true stories), "wait... this is true? That really happened?"

The rivalry that is presented right up front between Hunt and Lauda definitely grows in the plot to become more than just fueling antagonist vs. protagonist. It ends up being something very deep, poetic, and presents multiple possible morals to the story.

Very enjoyable, and glad that I rented this. Probably not a purchase for me, but this is a good one. And I agree... Ron Howard definitely is upholding his reputation of making solid, good stories. Not just 90 minute entertainment babysitters.
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
                      • Jan 2006

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, Chris.

This is not a ground-breaking film.
                      But it is an accurate & well-made movie about men that i admired as heroes when i was a much younger lad.
                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Watched it last night and LOVED it. Great story, acting, casting, drama, action/races, scenery/cinematography, audio/sound effects, women...

If you haven't seen it, do it!

9/10

And man that final race scene (especially) with the engines, the atmosphere the water/spray in the surrounds.... That is some straight up demo material :T :T

This one may have earned a permanent place in the collection!
                        Jason

Comment

• Ovation
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

Blind buy for me and I loved it. I was a huge F1 fan from mid-70s to mid-80s and this movie brought that era to life.

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

I kinda wish my wife and kids weren't going to be home tonight...I want to go put the Fuji race on at reference volume!:twisted:
                            Jason

Comment

• Ovation
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2004

I was able to watch it during a weekday when kids and wife were at school and work, respectively. You better believe I ran this movie at reference volume. :T:T

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Ovation
                                I was able to watch it during a weekday when kids and wife were at school and work, respectively. You better believe I ran this movie at reference volume. :T:T
                                Yeah, it had me looking behind me a couple of times. Sort of like trying to cross a busy street.
                                My Homepage!

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                                  It is a Ron Howard film. He has never IMO made a bad film
                                  Have you seen Angels and Demons and DaVinci Code ... to be honest he did the best you could with the source material but they are hardly good films! :-)

On the other hand I really loved Rush ... if I remember the interview correctly: Ron Howard wasn't a F1 fan before the movie which is why (IMO) he has made a movie which entertains non-F1 fans, but has also created a movie which does appeal to fans. The story isn't just about the racing but how the different personalities of the two protagonists cause conflict, but ultimately they respect each other.

Eloise

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"