X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

F1 movie 'Rush'

Having been a Formula One aficionado since I was a kid back in early '60's, I remember well tracking Niki Lauda's career (even reading his biography, including those of any other of the drivers I could find, in the late 80's) along with James Hunt & many, many others whom most of you probably have never heard of, but who were my true heros.

But if you are even slightly interested in auto racing of any kind, I find it highly unlikely anyone will not appreciate this film.
    Apparently Ron Howard has 'done it right', much to my longing for a film that might capture just the smallest bit of F1 was really like in the '70's.

All reports are that this will be everything I could hope for.

NYT Article
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

I am so looking forward to seeing this movie! This era was before my time, but I had heard of Niki Lauda and James Hunt. I had also followed Ron Howard on Twitter as he was shooting it and that was real fun to see some of his tweets.

I'll be out of town the weekend this opens, so won't be able to contribute to the opening box office, but will ensure it has a strong second weekend.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• P-Dub
      Office Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Anybody see this yet? I hope to go this weekend.
      Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• wkhanna
        • Jan 2006

I will wait for the DVD....

But Please let us know what you think if you get to see it!
        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
          • Jan 2006

Good #'s from Rotten Tomatoes

$10M already from box office revenue.

Not bad for what I expect to be a character focused film.
          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by wkhanna
            I will wait for the DVD....

But Please let us know what you think if you get to see it!
            I wait for the home release more and more, but certain films seem to demand the biggest screen you can access. This and Gravity are two that I will definitely see at the local cinema.

Comment

• wkhanna
              • Jan 2006

I have heard reviews say Gravity is 'out of this world' on Imax. :W

So too, with Rush, AFA auditioning on the big screen, sadly, I would be hard pressed to persuade The Wife to join me for this one.
              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Yeah it's hard to see a movie alone! Our theaters around here are crap, I have a hard time justifying going to any of them for anything more than a kids movie with the family.

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

I just can't buy Sandra Bullock as an astronaut.

Bus driver? Okay.

FBI agent? ehhhhhhhhhh...

Newspaper columnist? Sure.
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

I have heard reviews say Gravity is 'out of this world' on Imax. :W

So too, with Rush, AFA auditioning on the big screen, sadly, I would be hard pressed to persuade The Wife to join me for this one.
                    Each situation is different of course, but I learned long ago not to deprive myself of interests I had before being with my wife so if I want to see a movie that doesn't interest her (and there are many), I go alone or with a friend (I have zero issues with going to a movie alone as that was the norm for me for years). Same thing applies to classical music concerts--she has zero interest in any form of classical music while I have a subscription to the Montreal Symphony Orchestra and also attend a number of concerts by smaller ensembles throughout the year (again, either alone or with a friend).

I am not providing relationship advice (I do not venture there), just describing what I do--and my main point is really that such things as movies and concerts can be quite enjoyable alone (especially if the alternative is not going at all). But again, that works for me. I don't presume for anyone else.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Ovation
                      I am not providing relationship advice (I do not venture there)
                      Nor would I.
                      But like you I have gone to movies alone that my wife did not want to see. I may go to see either or both of these, even though the local cinema is actually a POS.
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• Grammy Fauxn
                        • Oct 2013

Went to see Rush last week and Gravity yesterday. I say a resounding, "YOU MUST GO SEE IT!!!" to BOTH movies. Ron Howard did an superb job with Rush (as we have come to expect from anything he does), and it is well worth seeing on the big screen. When I got home from seeing it, I got online and read everything I could find on Hunt and Lauda; truly fascinating legacies.

Gravity was mind-bending. Saw it in IMAX and had only intended to see it in regular IMAX, but purchased the tickets without thinking of specifying that to the ticket girl and ended up with IMAX 3-D tickets. I had, up until then, had no interest in 3-D movies. All I can say is, WOW. It was absolutely worth seeing in 3-D. I was astounded. It was so realistic, the only thing I could think of that could have made it better was if the theater seats were automated to "float" with the action. As I woke up this morning I had a flashback and had to do a reality check that I hadn't actually just spent yesterday afternoon in space.! LOL! Sandra Bullock was excellent. Even the female astronaut Cady Coleman was amazed at how realistic she was in this movie. For all you techie purists, there are a few artistic licenses taken with this movie. They had to in order to make the movie thrilling. If there wasn't, you might as well stay at home and watch the NASA channel. But they did do their factual homework and stuck to it as much as possible.

So bottom line, guys (or gals)-- go see these movies. Go by yourself if you must, indulge in the popcorn and enjoy the ride(s) of a lifetime!

Comment

• wkhanna
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Grammy Fauxn
                          When I got home from seeing it [Rush], I got online and read everything I could find on Hunt and Lauda; truly fascinating legacies.
                          Having followed F1 with a dedicated passion since the early 70's this news makes me extremely happy. A sport not much appreciated stateside, I had to wait months for reports on the races as journal print coverage was nonexistent in America, & I dutifully awaited arrival of my British motorsports magazine subscriptions on their slow journey to finally arrive at my doorstep.

It seems Mr Howard has done as I hoped he could, & make a film that would beckon & inspire others to actually go back in time & discover the incredible culture that existed in the world of Formula 1 racing. The money, passion, politics, personal ambitions, chivalry and danger are of an era not unlike that of rivaling courts from times long ago set on a stage of cutting-edge technological development that to this day is possibly second only to NASA.
                          Last edited by wkhanna; 08 October 2013, 07:08 Tuesday.
                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2004

Especially as the only decent film about the sport dates back to the 60s (Grand Prix). I'm sure Rush is superior in every way (though I do think the camera work for the racing portions in Grand Prix are very impressive for the era). I'll probably watch Grand Prix as a precursor (it's been a while since I've popped an HD DVD into the system).

Comment

• P-Dub
                              Office Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

One of the best movies on racing/F1 and about 2 people with vastly different personalities at battle for the ultimate championship. You can interchange the order and say this was about 2 people and their struggle and triumphs as they reach for the pinnacle of a World Championship in a sport. But in this sport, somebody typically dies before the end of a racing season.

I'm certain there were some liberties taken with some of the story to condense multiple years down into 2 hours of film. Unlike some movies the 2 hours go by very fast and I could easily sit through a directors cut of 4 hours or more! I think the essence of the times the supporting cast and of our two main drivers, Hunt and Lauda, have been accurately portrayed and especially well presented by Chris Hemsworth as James Hunt and Daniel Bruhl as Niki Lauda.

I started following F1 in the 90's so missed much of the early years, but knew of some of the details of the Lauda/Hunt rivalry. I think this film does an excellent job of portraying the playboy lifestyle of James Hunt vs the calculating and intense life of Niki Lauda.

My only wish was more racing sequences. But the sound and visuals of what Ron Howard has been able to achieve was stunning. I am looking forward to this on BluRay!

It looks like this weekend box office is only $4.4 million and so far has only grossed of $18 million. With a budget of $38 million, it looks like real life F1 drama and racing will still take a back seat to those other driving movies. I hope the international box office will put this one in the black as well as the DVD/BluRay sales.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, I think some of the F1 race commentating was by Murray Walker. A nice little something for F1 Fans of Murray's distinctive voice and style.

The other movie that has jumped into this thread, well I think we can discuss in another thread.
                              Paul

Comment

• wkhanna
                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Ovation
                                Especially as the only decent film about the sport dates back to the 60s (Grand Prix). I'll probably watch Grand Prix as a precursor
                                Excellent idea!

It is the only other major studio film that delves into Formula 1.
                                And director John Frankenheimer was one of best when it came to good car footage on the big screen.
                                His other 'car' notable works include French Connection II & Ronin, both with memorable automotive action.

For me, however, the defining movie of the art of racing is Steve McQueen's production of Le Mans.
                                Not able to acquire funding for the project from any major studios, McQueen created his own production company in order to make the movie.
                                There is no dialogue up until nearly the twenty minute mark in the film.

McQueen was driving during the actual race in a Porsche specially out rigged with cameras literally hanging off of it, when in the early morning hours of the 24 hour race he was informed by the Porsche factory race team, who had suffered setbacks during the course of the race, that he was in fact in a position to make the podium & they asked him to do what he could to maintain position in hopes of scoring points for the factory.
                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2004

I'll have to get my hands on that movie by McQueen. Sounds like a fascinating project.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                    • Jan 2006

Off topic, a bit, but some sad news from the F1 community today:

Maria de Villota
                                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Sep 2004

Sad news indeed.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2001

For me, however, the defining movie of the art of racing is Steve McQueen's production of Le Mans.
                                        Not able to acquire funding for the project from any major studios, McQueen created his own production company in order to make the movie.
                                        There is no dialogue up until nearly the twenty minute mark in the film.
                                        I agree, Bill. I've owned it in every format from vhs to laserdisc to dvd and recently to Blu-ray. I've never thought much of the story, but it didn't matter because I was watching my favorite actor do his thing. The camera work in that film is breath taking.
                                        My Homepage!

Comment

• wkhanna
                                          • Jan 2006

Off topic, a bit, but some sad news from the F1 community today:

Maria de Villota
                                          wiki link to Maria de Villota
                                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2001

That's so sad. She was quite the lady.
                                            My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"