X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Project Gotham Racing is Very Nice!

I'm really starting to enjoy this game. I know it's not as legendary as GT3 A-spec, but it really fills the void nicely.

One thing I been having a blast with is all the ripped tunes I have placed on the hard drive to play as I'm racing. Sure a person can just put a CD in your stereo for basically the same effect, but wait... PRG seems to Cue the tunes just right so when I'm starting a race it really sets the mood to allow me to get my game face on! And it really separates the sound effects and tunes nicely in 5.1 dolby Digital, incredible if I may say!

One time I was just crashing all over the place sucking big time in 6th position, when all of a sudden U2's "Streets with no Name" kicked in to full force, I was racing through Japan "Shubuku" (sp) and it really made me focus and put me in the zone, I ended up winning the race. another time, I was racing at San Francisco's Fishermans Warf and Van Halen "Jump" was cued, right as I was jumping the streets of San Fran... too cool! I have about 45 tunes ripped, and still can select the games stock music radio stations which has cool tunes as well.

The cars are real pretty to look at during the replay theater, brake rotors glow red hot if you were braking into corners, you can see the driver shifting gears and steering. Sometimes depending on the camera angle, you can see the nice leather seats and textures in my Audi TT coupe, su-weet! What is hilarious is how you can see cones flying through all angles of the glass, so looking from the back window, you can see the pylon being hit with the front of the car, see it through the back window and front winshield.

The car damage is cool to see and very realistic looking, however it doesn't affect the physics modeling so I question why they even bothered with this, as it makes your car look beat after a tight race... I guess it just shows how much of a hack you were during the race :-)

Currently the cars I have unlocked are:

-VW Beetle RSR 4WD
    -Audi TT Roadster
    -Audi TT Coupe
    -BMW Z3 Roadster
    -Camaro Z28 RSR
    -Porsche Boxster

This is a very good game!

Bing
    Bing
  • Trevor Schell
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Nice review Bing.
    Did you order the Steering Wheel manufactured by Madcatz. I bet it would make driving even more realistic..

One more thing!..I bet you wear that nice Shiny Black Wind shirt while racing.
    Maybe some racing goggles too!
    Christine must enjoy watching you in racing action.

Trevor
    My HomeTheater S.E.
    Sonically Enhanced
    C5
    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Daughter seems totally uninterested in other games, besides Project Gotham Racing. It's way 8) She always liked racing games, and this one she just loves.

Genuine 5 star game, IMO. 960 is my high score, did that on San Fransisco Easy mode. San Fransisco medium mode is killer to get 700 on. I haven't yet, though my nephew did.

DOA3 is very cool as well, though that devil like character is tough to beat! I think I am on level 3 here. Get this, I fight as a chick, haha. She's fairly easy on the eyes.

Haven't done to good with Max Payne yet, I have made it to land in halo, very cool.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

I added the Audi TTs night before last, and a killer paint job yesterday. How did you get the other cars Bing? I got the Audi for both my daughter and me by winning the Arcade races in Easy mode. Medium the next way?

I find it next to impossible to get gold on the basis of score in the pylon races. I forget the name of those.

I have opened up high level, and got a bronze in all except one. That dang San Fransisco, 1180 is highest I could score, and need 1600, ouch.

Lex
        Doug

Comment

• Trevor Schell
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Just got my MadCatz Sterring Wheel in the mail today from FutureShop.com
          It was backordered since the beginning of December.
          The build quality looks very solid from what I can tell.
          Once I try it out I will let you know if it is worth the purchase.

Lex,,You truely are the Gotham Master.

Trevor
          My HomeTheater S.E.
          Sonically Enhanced
          C5
          Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Huskerduck
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2000

the Mad Catz wheel is awesome, their controllers are junk though

Mark

Ducks Meager Theater
            Mark

Ducks Meager Theater

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Yeah, I tried one offbrand controller, forget who's, and it didn't have brakes on Gotham. Picked up a Mad Catz controller. I can't say I am overly impressed. Sometimes, it just doesn't seem to respond at all. After a brief stint with it, I have went back to the factory Xbox controler as my primary weapon.

Trev, master? Nah, just persistant, lol. When I got the paint job, he said I had driven over 350 miles and been playing for more than 5 hours, lol. Basically, while on break, we left the Xbox on X 24. So, just switch to the Xbox input on the Lexicon, grab a controller, and your good to go.

Let us know how the steering wheel goes Trev. Could be fun. bigest problem I see, is where to set that thing up. Not sure I have the patience for setup and take down, now a dedicated driving station, that could be way cool.

Lex
              Doug

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Ha!!
                Never thought about the set-up of the wheel.
                In actuality it would not be so bad if it was just a wheel,,However I am not sure how to incorporate the gas pedal and brakes.

Looks like were going to have to buy a Driving Station after all.

Trevor
                My HomeTheater S.E.
                Sonically Enhanced
                C5
                Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Bing Fung
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

Lex, to unlock more cars you have to advance in the Kudos challenges. The Z28 is a real tank to drive and actaually I quite hate it. Right now the Audi TT is my most consistant driver, albeit a tad slower.

You pretty much need adinner table and a chair for the wheel to be setup properly. That's what has held me back from the wheel for the console. Now for the PC that's a diff story as you can just clamp it to your desk.

I'm kinda sweet on this one, however I will never be able to afford one

Bing
                  Bing

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"