X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

The Knowing

This is a sci-fi thriller starring Nick Cage and is basically about a letter found in a 50 year old timecapsule containing nothing but a series of numbers, and when decoded point to disasters that have occured during those past 50 years. But there is more to it than that as the numbers also point to not only the prsent but the future that affects all mankind.

Nothing special here as we have seen bits and pieces of this plot in different scenarios in different films, but this one was not a bad movie, at least not for the first 3/4 . The last 1/4 just fell flat for me.

However, if you want to show off your audio, oh, baby, give this one a spin. There are at least 3 scenes that will blow your mind, and maybe your subwoofer if you're not careful. Dialogue is low in this movie, but be forwarned and don't have the volume too high.

A pretty decent rental.
    My Homepage!
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

We just saw the trailer for it last night and had forgotten about this movie. We almost went ahead and rented it last night, but didn't because the wife wanted to know what you thought about it first.

So thanks for the review, we'll rent it soon.

Kevin D.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Kevin D
      We just saw the trailer for it last night and had forgotten about this movie. We almost went ahead and rented it last night, but didn't because the wife wanted to know what you thought about it first.

So thanks for the review, we'll rent it soon.

Kevin D.
      Thank your wife for me, Kevin. I am truly flattered. ops:
      My Homepage!

Comment

• DelRay
        • Jun 2004

I got a chance to watch this one tonight. Kinda what I was expecting after seeing the trailers. I thought it was an OK movie. Definitly worth the rental. And yes, some really good bass. My subs were being tested. :B

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by DelRay
          And yes, some really good bass. My subs were being tested. :B
          My pair of Energy subs were pushing out so much air I needed an oxygen tank to catch my breath... :P :P :P
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Alloroc
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

As a movie I found this one very average. It had an interesting enough plot but, and you're spot on George, I'd seen most of it before. The audio was the technical highlight of the movie - not just those big scenes, but the music and other effects led to a tense and creepy enough atmosphere.

However, I found the visuals very ordinary. Don't get me wrong, the scenes, well the idea behind the big scenes was really good, it was jsut that the CGI was somewhat unconvincing - I mean, movies made 10 years ago used more convincing CGI. This was the kind of stuff you see in a budget hamstrung "made for TV" movie or series.

Finally, the last quarter of the movie, for me too, fell flat and the very last scene was a scene to many - silly really.

I'm not sorry I saw it.... it was mildy entertaining and worth the rent for the workout of my speakers and subs.....
            Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

I just finished watching this. What a weird movie! I mean, sure.. the beginning to a bit cheesy, but the movie was on to something. And then the last quarter... what the hell happened!? The movie really goes off from what the trailers made it appear to be. I just hated the little girl saying "whisper people". That was just dumb. The movie though... kinda entertaining... but I still think it was just plain out weird.
              B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

The ending was definitely a bit different then I thought it would be.

Comment

• Hammie
                  • Oct 2005

I liked the movie up until the ending. Like Alloroc said, unnecessary. I would have preferred it unsaid since the assumption was already there as to what happened.

Wife wouldn't let me give my sub the workout it deserved. Maybe when she is at the gym next.
                  Panasonic TC-P65VT30
                  Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
                  Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
                  Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
                  B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
                  Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
                  My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
                  Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• H.Donald
                    • Aug 2004

Ok movie....and yeah,good movie to test the subs on.
                    My son and I watched it...wife left half way thru.

Comment

• Ovation
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I'm with Roger Ebert's views on this movie, though not quite as enthusiastically. The discussion at his blog (there is a link in the review) is quite interesting (at least what I've read of it--there are a lot of posts) and I found the movie quite thought-provoking. As always, YMMV.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Ovation
                        I found the movie quite thought-provoking. As always, YMMV.
                        Yeah it wasn't a bad film . I just felt it sort of fell apart for me in the last 1/4 of the movie. I guess I was expecting something different. I'll take a peek at Roger's comments. Thanks for the link.
                        My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"