X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiojunky
    • Mar 2006

B&W serial numbers

I recently got a brand new B&W 804s and noticed that that serial numbers at the back were something like 0003xx7 and 0003xx8

Does that mean that that only around 4000 odd B&W 804s speakers (or 2000 pairs) have been built all over the world till date?

That seems like an incredibly low number of speakers for such an amazing brand!

A friend of mine had older 804s which had a serial number something like 00005x3 and 00005x4
  • RNKC
    • Jun 2005

Pure speculation on my part but I'd say that's probably true. B&W is a niche brand after all - most people buy regular consumer-grade stuff at big-box stores and the like. B&W, particular the 800 series only appeal to a select few who are willing to spend that much $$$ on speakers and associated equipment.

I would imagine if you look at B&W 600 series, you'd find the serial numbers would be bigger.

Comment

• bryan w
      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by audiojunky
      I recently got a brand new B&W 804s and noticed that that serial numbers at the back were something like 0003xx7 and 0003xx8

Does that mean that that only around 4000 odd B&W 804s speakers (or 2000 pairs) have been built all over the world till date?

That seems like an incredibly low number of speakers for such an amazing brand!

A friend of mine had older 804s which had a serial number something like 00005x3 and 00005x4
      iv,e had mine since christmas my serial no is 0006**5
      screenplay 7205 6ft owl fixed screen pioneer ax10ai pioneer 989dvd sky+ clear audio emotion tt ,trichord dino phono stage ,shanling cdt80 cd nautilus 804s fronts htm3s centre scms rears cdmnt sub

Comment

• Boone38
        • Dec 2004

I have had my new 804S all of 2 weeks and the numbers are 8xx7,8xx8.
        I think it also has something to do with the color, and the date made. My HTM4 has a much lower number of 4xx8.

Comment

• Fraise
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by RNKC
          I would imagine if you look at B&W 600 series, you'd find the serial numbers would be bigger.
          The 600 series has also been out for much longer than the 800 series (remember they would have started at zero again when they made the new model numbers for the "D" and the "S" models)

Comment

• wb2fcr
            • Dec 2005

The Rosenut 804S I purchased about a month ago are 0008xx3 and 0008xx4.

Not all manufacturers start with serial number 001. I don't know about B&W, but the company I work for starts at serial numberr 0061.

The thinking is no one would want the very first one made. The perception is it doesn't have all the bugs worked out yet.
            Dave

Comment

• james_dmi
              • Jan 2005

I’ve had my B&W 802D's for about a month now with serial numbers just under 7000. I wonder if this means that the 802D is out selling the 804S?
              James

Comment

• james_dmi
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by wb2fcr
                The Rosenut 804S I purchased about a month ago are 0008xx3 and 0008xx4.

Not all manufacturers start with serial number 001. I don't know about B&W, but the company I work for starts at serial numberr 0061.

The thinking is no one would want the very first one made. The perception is it doesn't have all the bugs worked out yet.
                Didn’t read this one but I guess this means that they must be selling at a similar rate.
                James

Comment

• mikej
                  • Oct 2005

I have some 603's (2005) and the number is 11xx2x, so I guess alot more 603's are sold than the others

mike

Comment

• Andries
                    • Apr 2006

I doubt if the serial numbers actually run chronologically. My 703 speakers, bought October 2005, are numbered 017171 and 017172. I can't think that only 17 000 pairs of this very popular loudspeaker would have been sold worldwide by now. Most likely batches are allocated to different countries?

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"