X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Latest Rambo

This John Rambo is pretty much the John Rambo of First Blood, which is good because the sequels in between these two films weren't all that great story or characterwise. This one gets back to the troubled and cynical John Rambo who reluctantly agrees to take a group of Christian aid workers into Burma. After the workers are taken captive, Rambo joins a group of mercenaries to go back to Burma to free the captives. The movie moves along quite quickly. When the action comes, things get pretty bloody gory. All in all, I liked it and it will sit next to First Blood ( which I just bought on Blu-ray for $14 ) on my dvd shelf.
    My Homepage!
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

I can't imagine what this movie looks like on Blu-ray. I just watched the DVD this weekend, and the picture was gorgeous!! So on to the movie. This was a pure action flick, and I was actually really impressed. I started watching the movie, but only got to see 30 minutes. My impression was that this movie had a great hook. So I started the movie all over the next day, and watched it all. I really enjoyed it. I liked how they fit it with his past memories.

Do you guys remember the game Mortal Kombat? This is what it looks like in real life. Kill Bill did the whole comic book gory thing, but in a light-comical manner. This was just straight gore. It was over-exaggerated. But it does show details for everyone! The best is at the end. By the way, definitely not a movie that kids or younger teenagers should watch. This movie is waaaaaayy too voilent and graphic. But overall, a great action movie.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by audioqueso
      I can't imagine what this movie looks like on Blu-ray. I just watched the DVD this weekend, and the picture was gorgeous!!
      Fantastic PQ on Blu-ray. Audio pretty hot , too, even though it was plain vanilla DTS.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I have to agree with you guys. This movie was much, better than I expected it to be. Sly, has done a remarkable job, closing out both of his franchises. Especially when you look at how bad the Rocky films had become after Rocky 2.

I was really impressed with how the film pulled off mixing, a serious real world problem (and bringing awareness to it) while still maintaining the entertainment factor. Like George touched on, Rambo is still a headcase with issues and yet, you can't wait for him to take out the bad guys with unlimited ammo!
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by John Holmes
          ...with unlimited ammo!
          :rofl:

Comment

• Gump
            • Sep 2005

I watched this yesterday via HD On Demand and enjoyed it. Actually, I went into it a bit skeptical based on the story being overdone, but it did hook me and you just can't help but root for the guy. Graphic violence throughout but appropriate for the story and didn't seem out of place.

Probably a C grade but call me sentimental... The "First Blood" movie was great and the book is very good as well.

Grade: B-

Comment

• mitch57
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
              Fantastic PQ on Blu-ray. Audio pretty hot , too, even though it was plain vanilla DTS.
              I haven't watched the Blu-ray version of this movie yet since I don't have my Blu-ray player yet. But my Blu-ray copy says it has a DTS HD Master Audio (7.1) track.

Are you not able to bitstream or decode the DTS HD Master Audio track?
              Mitch
              :stupidpc:

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Originally posted by mitch57
                I haven't watched the Blu-ray version of this movie yet since I don't have my Blu-ray player yet. But my Blu-ray copy says it has a DTS HD Master Audio (7.1) track.

Are you not able to bitstream or decode the DTS HD Master Audio track?
                No, my receiver doesn't have a HDMI port. I'm quite happy with plain vanilla DD or DTS via my coax digital connection.
                My Homepage!

Comment

• mitch57
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                  No, my receiver doesn't have a HDMI port. I'm quite happy with plain vanilla DD or DTS via my coax digital connection.
                  No multichannel inputs either I take it?
                  Mitch
                  :stupidpc:

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by mitch57
                    No multichannel inputs either I take it?
                    Yes, but I'm not interested in going the analog route. Enough bloody cables to deal with as it is. Besides, digital ( DD or DTS ) sounds pretty darn good on my Denon 3801.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• ShadowZA
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

I've just watched this on my own while the family were busy cooking supper. I turned up the volume & enjoyed it to bits. 'Scuse me ... I have to check that the panes & things are still intact. :twisted: :T

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Im glad to see all good reviews.
                        Ive been hesitant to watch this because of the bloodfest previews.
                        B&W

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Ok, so I strolled through the local BBY tonight after work and picked this one up.
                          Watched it tonight.

I am not one for blood and gore, but overall a good movie! Very high paced and before I knew it the movie was over. Keep my adrenaline up (even with all the blood and gore)
                          Great ending to the classic series IMO.

BTW, HD Violence, yea.... brings a whole new perspective to those type of scences..
                          B&W

Comment

• Kevin D
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                            Great ending to the classic series IMO.
                            Ending? Who said anything about an ending?

For reasons that may have involved an exorbitant amount of booze, we missed the announcement in a Hollywood Reporter article...

Finally rented it the other night (finally got a PS3 and have been holding off until I got Bluray). Gotta agree with everyone else, great movie and the DTS-HD track rocked..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
                              Ending? Who said anything about an ending?

For reasons that may have involved an exorbitant amount of booze, we missed the announcement in a Hollywood Reporter article...

Finally rented it the other night (finally got a PS3 and have been holding off until I got Bluray). Gotta agree with everyone else, great movie and the DTS-HD track rocked..

Kevin D.
                              8O 8O
                              B&W

Comment

• audioqueso
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                                8O 8O
                                Same reaction here. This last Rambo really could have stayed as a great ending to it all.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"