X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Homefront... the movie

This is standard action fare starring Jason Statham. It's the kind of film Charles Bronson made back in the 70s and 80s. Homefront starts with a big action scene of the DEA taking down a biker gang drug ring. Statham had been working undercover so when the biker gang leader's brother is killed during the raid, he swears vengeance. Statham leaves the DEA and, under a new identity, moves, along with his young daughter, to a small southern town. From there on things drag a bit until the gang leader's thugs find Statham's whereabouts and then things get interesting.
    The screenplay was written by Sylvester Stallone and adapted from a novel. It's okay, but would have been somewhat less if it had starred anyone other than Statham, who I really do enjoy. James Franco, who I also like, plays a local baddie, but I found his performance uneven and lacking in places, and left me wondering if he was supposed to be a good bad guy or a bad bad guy. Anyhow, I bought the movie and will watch it again. I'd suggest a rent first for others.
    My Homepage!
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Huh... Stallone does write some good stuff, and hardly ever gets proper credit.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

He is an Oscar-winning screenwriter, if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Well, "Rocky" for one. I'm not sure if there are others that have been recognized.
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

He wrote screenplays for all the Expendables, F.I.S.T, the first Rambo movie ( First Blood ) and a few of the others, I believe, and he also wrote some TV stuff.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Yeah, I have generally loved the movies he has written. I personally don't count "First Blood", since it was a book written by one of my favorite authors, David Morrell. It's rather a shame how both Rocky and Rambo became semi-jokes of series, from their amazing roots.
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Chris D
              Yeah, I have generally loved the movies he has written. I personally don't count "First Blood", since it was a book written by one of my favorite authors, David Morrell.
              Homefront isn't an original either. It's based on a novel of the same name by Chuck Logan. I never read it so I don't know how true Stallone's screenplay is to Logan's book.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

We should not undervalued adapted screenplays. They have their own Oscar and are no less challenging to do well than an original one (often facing the pressure of measuring up to the original source material).

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

True, and in some cases they do a better job than the original source.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"