Blue Ray doubters, take note, Pearl Harbor is more visceral and powerful than ever

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Blue Ray doubters, take note, Pearl Harbor is more visceral and powerful than ever

Pearl Harbor defined what Blue Ray is capable of today while watching the movie. The cinematography more powerful, more gripping than ever. there were no artifacts, no dot crawl, no softness to the image, just sharp detail with excellent color saturation and definition. The attack on Pearl was so real looking, so visceral were the explosions.

Of course, the story, all to real, we know the result. But like 9-11, we Americans should not ever forget what was done to us, we should relive this story, even if it is not exactly as it occured perhaps, we cannot have that, because no one saw the whole event. But we can remember all those brave Men and Women that helped defend our country, and we should always remember the many that died for the United States of America. Now I am not saying the Japanese were not sorry for what they did, I'm not saying they didn't pay for it, what I am saying is, that we should NEVER let ourselves be that vulnerable again to anyone.

If you just do HD-DVD, well, you can't view this movie as yet anyway. Yeah, it's a movie with some age on it now. But the movie is still as powerful today, as when it came out, and a movie that deserves the High Definition treatment, and BD did it right- Is it as powerful as Saving Private Ryan. Well, perhaps in a different way. Certainly Tom Hanks in SPR was among the best actors in the world, and put on a world class performance, one for the ages.

Does BD always get the transfers right? Maybe not. But this time, they did this film justice, they did it right.
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Yeah, this movie disc is pretty highly regarded in the Blu-Ray world. I thought that Pearl Harbor was on HD-DVD also, though, and people could compare it between the two formats. No? If so, Doug, I'd be very interested to hear a comparison if you could make one, being an owner of both.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

As of this date, here... (have to navigate to currently out discs section, it's a drag I know.

Not on HD-DVD as yet and does not show in coming soon.

I can only make some generalizations at this point Chris, and although not sure those belong in this disc specific analysis, in general, when done right, I believe BD bests what I am seeing on HD-DVD in general. However, I have seen some HD-DVD that is nearly liquid looking as well. I've got to do more analysis before I proclaim a winner at this point, but you are right about one thing on BD, the release of the MI series is very noisy, lots of artifacts, and what I call dot crawl on my display here. Now, the HD-DVD release appears soft, but without the dots, so that's a bit of a catch 22. I think if they ever clean up the MI series on BD, it will likely best what is available on HD, on that one series of discs anyway...
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"