X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RandyL999
    • Dec 2004

Blu-Ray or HDDVD? Looks like Sony loses... again

This morning Microsoft and Intel said they would support Toshiba's HDDVD. Sounds familiar to the Betamax war two decades ago...

Randy
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Not a huge surprise with Microsoft's XBOX 360 competing against the PS3 Intel's just a MS whore so of course they're playing along.... :lol: Not surprising at all.. Frankly I could give a rat's @$$ if either format succeeds at this point. I hope something like holo-discs comes along and takes over the whole market while HD-DVD and BluRay are squabbling in the corner like a couple of grade-school brats.
    Jason

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

Sony doesn't care, that just means everyone goes way of the HD-DVD (which sucks that it doesn't have a bigger capacity)...and Sony will laugh all the way to the bank as their PS3 games won't be pirated as much...

Figure how many people are going to want a Blu-Ray burner vs. HD-DVD if everything else is HD-DVD....

IMO a smart move by Sony.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• maseline_98
        • Apr 2005

Randy...where did you get this news?...got a link?...I'm eager to read the story and will the release date 360 boxes have a HD-DVD player?

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
        Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

If I remember correctly the initial 360's won't have a HD-DVD drive but it will be offered in a later model and/or possibly as an upgrade component.
          Jason

Comment

• george_k
            • Jan 2004

Sony has had a long line of history of making better products which never quite became standard.

Beta vs VHS
            The MD vs the CD
            Bluray vs HD-DVD

Comment

• RandyL999
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by maseline_98
              Randy...where did you get this news?...got a link?...I'm eager to read the story and will the release date 360 boxes have a HD-DVD player?

Saw it on the newswires at my firm's computers as one of the stories affecting MSFT and INTC (I'm with A.G. Edwards).

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by george_k
                Sony has had a long line of history of making better products which never quite became standard.
                Indeed.

I know many board members are frustrated with the whole aspect and drama of the Blu-ray and HDDVD debacle. However, I am keeping tabs, and I am willing to bet that many of these same individuals will (quickly) buy into one format or the other, regardless of the final outcome. Why? Because once they have a taste for high definition video's, all rational will go out the window. It's an insatiable appetite that needs constant feeding and what better way than to give you and your HDTV what both have really longed for so many years.

Put another way, if you have an HDTV you will (ASAP) have HD(something), I guarantee it. :T

BTW, You can proudly count me among them (HDDVD too).
                "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Kirium
                  • Sep 2005

Link to the full story here

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"