X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

Marantz SA-KI Pearl SACD/CD Player

Has anyone else seen this new SACD player from the Marantz Reference line?

Marantz SA-KI-PEARL

I was on their site one day, and noticed this and its matching integrated amp (the PM-KI Pearl), and LOVE the looks of this thing. I've always thought the SA-15 was a great looking player (in Silver), but I like this one in black even better.

These are apparently limited edition -- only 500 made. They are also a bit steep ($3K for the SACD player). I've heard good things about the Marantz Reference players, though, so I thought I'd see what others think.

I've already got the Squeezebox Duet for casual music listening, but would still love to have a dedicated SACD/CD player of this caliber for more critical listening. One nice feature about it too, is that it has a Toslink digital INPUT, which I could possibly use to feed my Squeezebox through its internal DACS, then on to my processor via analog outs. Just a thought...hmmmmm.
    Brad
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

I've read about this unit else where, too- I have a Marantz SA-11, which is a bit more expensive- I've heard this is more like a souped up edition of the SA-15, but who knows?

The CS4398 is pretty fair for a lower cost chip on SACD, but I'm less enamored of it for CD- IMO, the top TI/BB and Wolfson chipsets beat it out. The 4398 has I/V conversion and output opamps built in.

I prefer the TI PCM1798DB, which is used in the PS Audio DL III, for example (yes, I own one of those- it takes care of my CD level digital stuff from a Mac Mini and a Cambridge Audio 640C player just used as a transport). The BB part can use fully passive I/V conversion and what ever discrete buffer you'd like with it- in the DL III it's a passive I/V stage and a discrete non-loop feedback class A buffer constructed from FETs and bipolars. Would be my preferred way of doing things.

It would be interesting to hear the Marantz in a good system, but buying it unheard would be a bit more faith than I have at this point- I did that with the SA-11 and it worked out, and if I had the cash lying around I'd consider the SA-7, also, as reviewers I know and understand their viewpoint have given it the thumbs up for a balance of transparency and musical behavior without being analytical or edgy.

Have you seen and can link any published reviews?

If you're interested in upping the performance of your non-SACD digital, but on a budget, you may want to check out this page, depending on what you have already.

DL IIII product page

No affiliation with PS Audio on my part, other than I used to live in Boulder, too. :W These are selling typically for $699 now, including through Audio Advisor.

This replaced a Benchmark DAC in my family room system.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Blindamood
      • Sep 2003

JonMarsh,

I appreciate your feedback. I'm not all that familiar with the different DACs, so your insight is helpful. I have considered adding an external DAC, such as the PS Audio, and have read positive reviews on that solution together with the Squeezebox.

As for reviews on the Marantz, I have not seen anything yet. I'm not even sure they're shipping yet, but I do see it showing up as available on Music Direct, so maybe so.
      Brad

Comment

• Face
        • Mar 2007

I'm also interested in the Pearl. I love the sound of the SA-15 and the digital input is a huge plus, but the price a little too much for me at the moment. I'll probably hang onto my 840C for a little bit longer.
        SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Blindamood
          JonMarsh,

I appreciate your feedback. I'm not all that familiar with the different DACs, so your insight is helpful. I have considered adding an external DAC, such as the PS Audio, and have read positive reviews on that solution together with the Squeezebox.

As for reviews on the Marantz, I have not seen anything yet. I'm not even sure they're shipping yet, but I do see it showing up as available on Music Direct, so maybe so.
          Sometimes reviewers get seeded with samples before they start shipping, but that doesn't seem to be the case, here. I think it will take some strong word of mouth or reviews for the sales to take off; like I mentioned, it's a little bit much to take on faith. I got lucky the first time... :W
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Glen B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jul 2004

The buzz has started at Audio Asylum, as it did with the SA-11S2 last year. There are quite a few owners of the various Marantz Reference series models there.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"