X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenhorn
    • Feb 2007

Pearl Jam - Tonight - Live

Going to see Pearl Jam live tonight :W

So I guess I need a tie in for the section. Picked up the new CD BackSpacer Monday, not bad. I would give it a solid 8.5. The funny thing about their post Ten CD's is... I'm generally good with the majority of the songs on the CD, but then there is always 2 or 3 that I find exceptional. It's not that the CD's are a couple good songs and a buch of filler, just a bunch of solid songs and a few exceptional songs.

Not the most popular opinion generally, but I liked Yield the best.

They are the only group I've seen in the past 4 -5 years, started with their tour June 03 SD show where I took my daughter. They came back in July 06 so I decided we would go again, so it was like a little tradition. This year she she wasn't interested in going :cry:

Both times they put on a good high energy show. ;x( It's also fun becuse a few days later you can go to their web site and down load a recording of the show you went to for a reasonable cost.

Anyway, I waited to the last minute to get my ticket, got what I think is a good seat on the day of the show for face value. Going to go pick the ticket up in a few minutes on the way, hope it's not a flakey seller.
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Live Music!
    Any and All!

Everyone who is interested in 'Audio' needs to go see as much 'Live' music, whatever the genre, as possible.

Live music is 'The' benchmark.

Enjoy the show, Greenhorn, and please post your opinions of the event afterwards.

I will be anxiously awaiting your update.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Industrial
      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by wkhanna
      Live Music!
      Any and All!

Everyone who is interested in 'Audio' needs to go see as much 'Live' music, whatever the genre, as possible.

Live music is 'The' benchmark.

Enjoy the show, Greenhorn, and please post your opinions of the event afterwards.

I will be anxiously awaiting your update.
      Depends where and how the sound techs are. I don't go to any local shows anymore. They have the sound levels up so high they are clipping and it's just a wall of noise. Literally noise, not as in so loud its uncomfortable. I mean so distorted that all I can hear is BZZZZZZZZ then some garbled sounds.

Oh and I got the new Pearl Jam cd as well, I really like "among the waves".

Comment

• greenhorn
        • Feb 2007

Great Show

Great show, had a great time.

Ben Harper opened and although I'm not familiar with him for the most part, his set was pretty entertaining. I doen't always connect with a new artist or music right away, I found it to be good, they did some nice jams during their songs. Eddie Vedder came out for their second or third song and they did "Under Pressure" together. Sound was a a little off with high vocals a bit tough, and Bass was some what heavy. I was thinking the mix setup might have been for Pearl Jam.

Pearl Jam came out and got all over it. They really put on a show and connect with the crowd. Sound was good for the most part, high vocals were a bit pitched but Eddie Vedder doesn't always sing up that high usually. The rest of the sound was good. Played lots of favorites, a few from the new album and a couple of specials.

Pearl Jam has some roots in San Diego so they usually refer to it as such, they brought out a couple of there old music instructors and played "Little Wing" all together which was fun. Lively version of "So You want to be a Rock N Roll star" was preceeded by a story Eddie Vedder told. He was working at a gas station very early in his career, was a good employee and all, asked the manager if he could get a mohawk, needed to get a mohawk as he was a musician and had to do that thing. They played for almost 3 hours, this was the last stop on the west coast, before taking a little time off and going east.

There was a short birthday ceremony for the daughter of a road crew member, who birthday was special 17 years ago and some introduction to support folks that have been with the group from about they start. This is their 20th anniversary. I think there were lots of family and friends in attendance.

Ended as typical with Yellow Ledbetter and Star Spangled Banner.

I don't get the people that only show up for the headliner. Place was only about 25% when Ben Harper played. I think that is a shame.

I don't get the people who leave before it's over. Yellow Ledbetter is generally known as the quasi last song, before Star Spangled Banner and people started leaving. A**HATS. Very disrespectful to the artists. I said "you know their still playing" as people walked by. Almost felt like sticking my foot out and impeading there progress :demon:

I don't get people that had camera's stuck in front of their faces 50% of the time. There was a guy across the asile that must have taken a ton of pictures - video but couldn't bring himself to even tap his toe or give it up after they rocked a song. :roll:

Party gestapo was out in full force. Smell a wiff and there would be 3-5 ushers and security with headpieces and flashlights moving through the crowd. I kind of understand, but I'm old school too, someone wants to light up a little I don't think it's a big deal. Nothing as bad as some of the people wobling around or the one or two drunk dumb a**es.

People around me we decent and didn't has any negitive impact on the show, no screamers, failers, drunks. I was happy, there was a young woman in front of me who was really into it, bopping and dancing a bit. That was cool. :clap:

I give Pearl Jam :T :T :T :T out of 4

I give the crowd :T :T :T out of 4.
        Polite crowd, but a bit of sitting on their hands. A little self absorbed.

I give the venue folks. :F

It was funny to see Eddie Vedder sneak just off stage for a quick cigarette...

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Good review greenhorn.

I'm not going to see Pearl Jam & Ben Harper when they come to NZ because... well, moderation in everything.

I sympathise with your 'party gestapo' comments. Drunks spoil the fun much more than the others.

I read this recently on a festival Web site and I can't really argue.

Dickhead Policy

Festivals at the Meredith Supernatural Amphitheatre have a No Dickhead Policy.

Essentially this is a self-policing policy whereby 'the dickhead' is not celebrated at the festival. Dickheads or people invloved in dickhead behaviour will usually find that a solid citizen will firmly but politely inform them that their dickhead behaviour is not admired or appreciated. The Dickhead will usually realize they are being a dickhead and pull their head in. If not, our Helpers or Staff or even Security might make a discreet intervention.

So if you are a Dickhead, this festival isn't for you.

I'm guessing that the average Dickhead is a bloke who can't handle his liquor.

Nigel.

Comment

• soundofvoid
            • Oct 2009

I've seen them last October in Athens...Easily one of the top five shows that i've been
            to...Others in this top 5 were the WIPERS (back then), DANIEL LANOIS,PATRICIA BARBER,
            and BLUE OYSTER CULT (back then again).Imagine 25000 people jumping up and down
            in perfect unison during REARVIEW MIRROR!Glory days...

Comment

• wkhanna
              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Thanks for the detailed update, Greenhorn!

Really glad to hear you enjoyed the show!
              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• greenhorn
                • Feb 2007

After a song or two... To quote Eddie Vedder
                ""We got a sh%$load of guitars and amps and drums up here, got the place to ourselves, so we might just blow the f*&^in roof off this joint tonight!"

Betterman - http://www.youtube.com/zippy1969#p/a/u/0/ywKOsdQ9AF8

Parachutes - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDCTPYEI-GQ

Yellow Ledbetter - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic99CZoGeds
                (with the house lights up) Poor Quality :cry:

32 Songs on the set list -

Last Exit, Corduroy, Severed Hand, Brain Of J., Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, Amongst The Waves, Johnny Guitar, Even Flow, Unthought Known, Parachutes, Daughter/ (Blitzkrieg Bop), I Got Id, You Are, Force of Nature, Got Some, Do The Evolution, Rearviewmirror

1st encore: The End, Red Mosquito (w/ Ben Harper), Happy Birthday to LuLu, Given To Fly, Last Kiss, The Fixer, Life Wasted

2nd encore: Why Go, Black, Better Man/ (Save it for Later), Little Wing (w/ John Szantos and Bud Whitcomb), So You Want to Be a Rock and Roll Star, Alive, Yellow Ledbetter/ (The Star-Spangled Banner)

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"