X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • willbrosk
    • Sep 2004

HDDVD/blue Ray afraid?

Not relay sure where this post should go but figured I would throw it here and it can always be moved to the right spot.

I am starting to research the new HDDVD and blue ray technology that is coming out and im worried. Worried about what? Is it that there will be 2 competing technologies with different studious backing both? Well that’s certainly part of it. The compatibility issues with HDMI DVI and video signal loss? Definitely could be bad. To be honest though these are minor problems.
    My real concern? Is that I have only been into HT for app. 6 months and I have recently thrown away my old vcr and old tapes because I just cant watch that crap anymore. So when HDDVD/blueray arrives will that mean I will have to replace the 70dvds ive bought in the last 5 months and the 70 more I will likely buy, because I just cant live with watching such inferior picture quality. Will I have to upgrade my amp and speakers because the new uncompressed audio signal will show how poor they are? Will I be unable to take my GF to the theater because it just can’t compare to my home system. When you start worrying about what you have to upgrade before you are finished with your current upgrades do you have a sickness? Hmm is there a HT anonymous :
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Hi, Will.
    I've been in the HT game for some time now. It really all started with vhs tape back in the 80s. Then I opted for laserdisc and couldn't stand watching tape anymore. Now I am bigtime into DVD ( I have approx 1000 titles) and can't watch laserdisc or tape. So did I replace all my tapes and laserdiscs ? No, but there are many that I felt compelled to replace such as SHANE, BRIDGE ON THE RIVER QUAI, THE TERMINATOR SERIES, THE ALIEN SERIES, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA... you can see what I mean. But since you are still early in the game, I would suggest you not buy too many more dvds, or at least restrict you buying to only titles you feel you REALLY must have. That way you won't have that many to replace. As for me, well I am pushing 69 and there is no way I will be replacing all those movies I already own. I'm just not buying as much anymore. And frankly, I hope this two technology thing doesn't happen, or dies an early death. It's just absolutely crazy and will have consumers totally confused.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

We, as consumers, keep having to survive format wars. But we do survive, and unfortunately we probably will continue to see them, and will see them get more and more contentious. The reason is, as I see it, that if you are on the winning side the economic payoff for your company is enormous. And when you start with the fact that these huge corporations have many many millions behind them and can weather a fairly long period of market indecision, it only gives them incentive to push even harder for their choice.

Sure, it sucks for the consumer - especially the early adopters, as most of us would qualify as - but, (sarcastic voice on) we're just the consumer. (sarcastic voice off)

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• willbrosk
        • Sep 2004

Although I am concerned about replacing all the stuff I am currently buying. I mainly intended the thread more as a bit of humor.
        As a side note as anyone heard of the new holographic discs coming out. Price wise they are suppose to be close to hddvd and blueray, but with the potential to hold a terabyte of info. Was talking to my local dealer about it and there is alot of talk about this actually eclipsing both of the other formats.

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

I don't think we'll ever see again the "stability" or longevity of formats which the LP record and CD have enjoyed. This is the 21st century you know, and not just accelerated rates of performance in technology, but accellerated rates of change... won't necessarily make us happy all the time, either.

~Jon
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"