X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

The Fast & The Furious: Tokyo Drift

Just bought this movie in the morning. Not a movie that everyone should buy, but definitely a good car-action movie. For those that do like car races, this is definitely up there. The cars and races were awesome. The story is actually better than the other two. Plot is no big deal, but then again, this movie strictly for the car action. On the technical side, PQ was good. It didnt' get grainy in all the dark scenes, so that's a plus. I can't say much else about it. SQ was pretty good. The processing wasn't as impressive as the second movie (though that movie was horrible), but it was good. I'd recommend it as a rental, but a purchase for the race scene buffs!

:35:
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The first movie was visual eye-candy! :T And that pretty much sums up why I have it. Glad to hear this one's better than #2 although that wouldn't take much.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Yeah, 2F2F was terrible. This one was a lot better, although it still does not have a compelling story.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

I passed on #2 and will be passing on this one, too.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Alloroc
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

I have to say that I felt the first one was not a good movie at all - I will admit that the chases were quite exciting but the rest of the movie was just painfully poor. Can't see myself watching the next two movies....

Ronin - now there's a car chase! :twisted:
          Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

I am glad someone else brought up Ronin before me. That was directed by John Frankenheimer, the same director responsible for the 1966 film ‘Grand Prix’. Impeccable choreography, none of that speeded-up footage of cars actually doing 45 mph in a feeble attempt to make it appear as though they are in highspeed action. A true ballet of high-speed, high-precision driving.

Digital FX are fine for science fiction and fantasy based themes, but I prefer my car chases pure and realistic (it used to drive crazy when I was kid watching TV and the cars would ‘squeal tire’ on dirt roads).

And if cars going fast are what you like, try Steve McQueen’s ‘Le Mans’, much of the footage recorded during the actual race as they got permission to enter a car in the race after it was officially qualified, and mounted an outrigged camera on it. That very car was actually up to fifth place at one point during the race.
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by wkhanna
              And if cars going fast are what you like, try Steve McQueen’s ‘Le Mans’
              And let's not forget McQueen's Bullitt in his souped up Mustang, which was probably the first great film car chase scene. And I would concur that Ronin was terrific. Another one that gave me goose bumps was the car chase in The French Connection.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

I enjoyed FF3, I have the first and didnt buy the 2nd. It was an entertaining movie to me. For those that say these movies are so fake, bla bla bla... I just keep telling myself.... "Its a movie... its suppose to entertain me for two hrs... no where did they state based on a true story"

With that said, it was a colorful movie, the sound was impactfull I thought, I had to turn down both subs, the picture was good IMO, and to see the kid from home improvement tearing around in a Viper SRT-10 gave me a good laugh

If you enjoyed any of the previous two, I would say give this a shot, you know what the series is about, you may be entertained. I was
                B&W

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

I'm surprised to read people saying that FF3 was better than FF2. I had just assumed that FF3 would be the worst so far--2 was on the bad side, but I didn't think it was as bad as a lot of other movies I had seen.
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• dynamowhum
                    • Aug 2006

Watched some of it last night. Lets just say it was a little too stylized for my taste. I don't mind shutting down some grey matter while being entertained but some movies just ask for to much of that.

Comment

• Arneson
                      • Jan 2006

Nice cars aren't meant to go sideways.
                      Forget the characters, I always feel so bad for the poor vehicles.
                      Should have hired the Michelen Man stunt driver.
                      Jim

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Just watched it. Certainly not as bad as I thought it was going to be! Although the plot leaves a LOT to be desired, there were some amazing driving scenes. And on HD-DVD, there were parts with some outstanding sound. Great SQ, not bad PQ. Bass was ROCKING at parts.

I'll probably pick up the whole set when it comes out as a box set on HD... but now I have to wait for it on BD!
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

I actually thought this one was the best one. The first one got real boring in the middle. The second one was just blah pretty much the whole movie.

Comment

• audioqueso
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Nov 2004

Told you it was a pretty good movie. What I liked the best is that the racing (except the parking lot building curve) was realistic.

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

... to an extent... I'm sure you don't see that degree of racing in Japan--or do you? Your cops don't blow you off if you're doing over 180kph, do they? And some of the races were a bit larger than life, like the final scene through that windy mountain road at night. But still enjoyable.
                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• audioqueso
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
                                ... to an extent... I'm sure you don't see that degree of racing in Japan--or do you? Your cops don't blow you off if you're doing over 180kph, do they? And some of the races were a bit larger than life, like the final scene through that windy mountain road at night. But still enjoyable.
                                Oh, I forgot to mention about the last race too. ha ha
                                No, but you know what I mean. No 30 feet jumps, or things blurring when you use nitrous, etc, etc. Yes, I do see drifting out in Yokohama (Tokyo area) at times. I'm not into that scene, so I really don't know if it really is like that. I actually asked about the cop things, but no one seems to know. Maybe I should just ask a cop. ha ha

Comment

• Hdale85
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

Well the cop cars in japan really are a stock sort of car and don't go very fast. So I could see how thats realistic.

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

Originally posted by audioqueso
                                    No 30 feet jumps, or things blurring when you use nitrous, etc, etc.
                                    :rofl: yeah, I always thought that was REALLY, REALLY funny, the blurring thing when they supposedly went really fast.
                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Chris D
                                      :rofl: yeah, I always thought that was REALLY, REALLY funny, the blurring thing when they supposedly went really fast.
                                      Hey, it worked for the Millenium Falcon! :

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Dec 2000

I thought when you go really fast, you go PLAID! No?
                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"